Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Alloy Rim Protectors

Zico

Has anyone here used/got alloy rim protectors or could recommend if they are worth getting?

I've got a brand new set of Ford Performance alloys that I am going to get fitted to my ST soon but am wondering if it's worth getting some rim protectors as well. My existing OEM alloys have some kerb damage to them which was caused within the first year or so but nothing since then.

I've been looking at the Alloygators (https://alloygator.com) and Rimblades (https://rimblades.com) but have no idea if they are any good or worth the price.

Any help is appreciated.

@MarksST or @TimST2have either of you had or considered them for your ST's?

I thought they were more for looks tbh, I quite like the look on black wheels as it helps to break it up a bit.

I did look at them but decided against it and fit tyres with rim protection, so far so good (nearly 5 five years) need to refurb one wheel but that’s from hitting a pothole.

The ones I looked were not an easy diy fit, needed to pop the tyre off the bead, couldn’t decide on a colour and I saw a few that had done their job but, looked worse for wear, at what point do you decide to replace them.

my cars not a daily and very rarely have to parallel park so that’s helped, if it was then maybe I would have, maybe.

• Like 3

My Ecosport came with rim protection tyres and I have kerbed it twice with a sickening crunch yet when I checked the rim there was nothing so up to now they've worked perfectly.

Do you regularly parallel park?  The alloys were refurbed on my Golf just before I got it - only set of 'perfect' alloys I've ever had!  Made a point of parking half a mile from the kerb (3 or 4 times a week, not every day but not that rare either) and always descending kerbs at 45+ degrees when necessary.  Haven't kerbed them at all in 3 years.  I'd rather take a bit more care with them than fit alloy protectors tbh.  I've seen damage caused by protectors as well.

10 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Do you regularly parallel park?  The alloys were refurbed on my Golf just before I got it - only set of 'perfect' alloys I've ever had!  Made a point of parking half a mile from the kerb (3 or 4 times a week, not every day but not that rare either) and always descending kerbs at 45+ degrees when necessary.  Haven't kerbed them at all in 3 years.  I'd rather take a bit more care with them than fit alloy protectors tbh.  I've seen damage caused by protectors as well.

Before lockdown I probably parallel parked on the odd occasion when going out to the hospital or doctors as it was easier (and cheaper) to park on street and walk than to try and get into the crammed and expensive car parks. Apart from those trips I'm probably parking in a car park most other times.

12 hours ago, MarksST said:

I did look at them but decided against it and fit tyres with rim protection, so far so good (nearly 5 five years) need to refurb one wheel but that’s from hitting a pothole.

The ones I looked were not an easy diy fit, needed to pop the tyre off the bead, couldn’t decide on a colour and I saw a few that had done their job but, looked worse for wear, at what point do you decide to replace them.

my cars not a daily and very rarely have to parallel park so that’s helped, if it was then maybe I would have, maybe.

The Alloygators appear to be the ones that go inside of the tyre/alloy rim and are recommended to be fitted by a professional, the Rimblades all appear to be self install on the outer edge of the rim surface. My ST is my only car so is/was my daily drive. My current tyres are Michelin Pilot Sport 4 so they do have rim protection (I was on the original Bridgestone Potenza's when I had the kerb incidents).

On 4/21/2021 at 9:39 PM, Zico said:

Has anyone here used/got alloy rim protectors or could recommend if they are worth getting?

I've got a brand new set of Ford Performance Alloys that I am going to get fitted to my ST soon but am wondering if it's worth getting some rim protectors as well. My existing OEM alloys have some kerb damage to them which was caused within the first year or so but nothing since then.

I've been looking at the Alloygators (https://alloygator.com) and Rimblades (https://rimblades.com) but have no idea if they are any good or worth the price.

Any help is appreciated.

@MarksST or @TimST2have either of you had or considered them for your ST's?

No rim protectors here. But then again I did damage one of my front wheels on a kerb. I ended up buying a new one rather than getting it refurbished. £147 for the new one (RRP was £230) and I sold the damaged one too. Would have been £100 + VAT for a refurb so it was actually cheaper to replace it!

I'm now running Michelin Pilot Sport 4s which have decent rim protectors build in. I have to say I'm not a fan of the look you get with the plastic rim protectors you linked to.

Out of interest, what are your new wheels like?

17 minutes ago, Zico said:

They look really nice. I can't wait to see them fitted.

• Like 1

I don't like them and never felt the need for them, I parallel park most days an have never ever hit the kerbs, I'm more worried about the slight discolouration on them, despite regular cleaning spoiling the look, Grand Cmax 17" Titainium are a pig to clean to many ridges and different size spokes.

Having said that I bet hit them on a kerb  in the next few days as I'm changing cars.

• Like 1

If I stop going to medical appointments then I probably won't kerb anything for a while 😄 . 

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Zico said:

If I stop going to medical appointments then I probably won't kerb anything for a while 😄 . 

That's what most of miles used to be used to have a 95 mile round trip weekly to the hospital, just moved and now it's 10 miles.

• Like 2

I fitted them to my last car (Celica GT4) and can recommend them. I regularly wrecked them which just proved that they saved wheels from expensive refurbs LOL

1475467422_AlloygatorcaptionLoRes.thumb.jpg.3e684ccaf250a3fa0bff5d538d2569e7.jpg

If you do get Alloygators, get them professionally fitted. They make it look really easy, which is how you know it isn't!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Zico said:

@StephenFord did they cause any issues when you needed to get any new tyres fitted at other garages?

No problem whatsoever, they come off in 'one piece', and are just relocated on with the new tire. I'm a bit OCD and always asked for the join to be located at the tire valve position! LOL

• Like 1

14 hours ago, StephenFord said:

I fitted them to my last car (Celica GT4) and can recommend them. I regularly wrecked them which just proved that they saved wheels from expensive refurbs LOL

1475467422_AlloygatorcaptionLoRes.thumb.jpg.3e684ccaf250a3fa0bff5d538d2569e7.jpg

If you do get Alloygators, get them professionally fitted. They make it look really easy, which is how you know it isn't!

Those ones look ok.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club