Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Number plate lamp

mealmond

Hi

Fiesta 6.5. I got a set of LED replacement lights for the number plate.

I got a reversing camera fitted and unfortunately one of the prongs, not sure of the technical term, got broken, so had to put the old light units back for now.

I will buy a replacement but looks like you can only buy in sets, do you think it would be possible to solder a prong back on.

I don't have the original prong, he was not sure where it went, but I was thinking I could use the prong from the original lamp, but thought I would ask first as I don't want to break a second lamp if it's not going too work anyway.

Cheers

Martin

IMG_20210422_190352161.jpg

It looks like it should be ok to try and solder the bits back together. From the right side, I can see two dimples/indents in the bottom part that looks like it's soldered or slotted into the larger upright section. If you have a solder iron and the confidence to give it a go then I would give it a try. If not do you have a friend or someone local that could do it for you?

Cheers Zico, no I don't know anybody else who could have a go.

Unfortunately I don't have all the bits, the arm section is missing. I was thinking of removing the arm off the original number plate light and soldering that into the LED lamp 

I will think about it some more and maybe have a go over the weekend 

Worst case I will just by a new light unit, just seems a shame to buy two when I only need the one.  I prefer this type of lamp where it is one unit rather than the LED Bulbs that go into the original unit, never had much luck with those, they either fail or flicker, touch wood, these have been very good.

Martin

I didn't realise the metal bit was missing/lost. Do you have something similar that you could use rather than take apart the original?

Hi Zico

I am just going to buy a new lamp unit, had a little go and could not get the solder right, to small a space.

I'm just waiting now for them to come back into stock from where I bought them. 

I have seen similar but nearly double the price and I have also seen similar on eBay but I am not sure if the quality will be the same.

Thanks again

Martin

Is it worth checking with any local breakers yards or garages nearby if they have any lamps you can get cheap or able to fix it for you?

Tin can, pair of tin snips, make your own 'bit' using existing as a template...

• Like 4

@StephenFord for the life of me I couldn't think of that when I made my last post. A tin can would be an ideal way to make a replacement strip.

• Haha 1

Thank you, I will give that a go, never thought of that.

I have ordered a similar priced replacement, but I could always cancel if need be.

Only like the LED as they give a nice crisp light, but prefer the whole unit light instead of just the bulbs, they are a bit more got and miss with quality.

Would like to change some of the other lights over to LED, but the prices seem high for the lamps, so will be leaving it just to the numberplate lights for now, though might do all the brake lights at some point.

Martin

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Zico said:

@StephenFord for the life of me I couldn't think of that when I made my last post. A tin can would be an ideal way to make a replacement strip.

Never worry - I'm cheap, it comes natural to me 🤣

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, StephenFord said:

Tin can, pair of tin snips, make your own 'bit' using existing as a template...

Lol did something similar to repair an ancient electric hedge trimmer. Dismantled it and found a terminal tag had snapped off. Cut a new one using a bit of brass strip from the "this might come in useful one day" box, soldered it on, good to go!😀

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club