Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wheelnut drama

mad mike

I have a 2009 petrol zetec S. I’ve recently had a huge drama removing Mcgard type wheel locking nuts. They were overtightened by a gorilla with an air gun! But they’re off now and replaced with ‘ordinary’ wheel nuts. My issue is that although the new nuts are the same design as the other three ie M12 1.5mm 19mm they are clearly not as ‘hefty’, slightly smaller. Overall length of the original nuts 29mm, new 25.2mm? Overall width of the conical part, old 27mm new 24mm? But the interesting bit is that the old nuts are actually 18mm hex, but 19.1mm with the metal cap fitted, new nuts are 19mm hex exactly. So, what gives? Why are the new nuts slightly smaller, cutbacks, corona?

Cheers

They're the wrong size and can actually damage your alloy.

The ones you've bought are just standard lug nuts you use with most aftermarket wheels. Ford use a captive washer and have a wider contact surface area.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mad mike said:

I have a 2009 petrol zetec S. I’ve recently had a huge drama removing Mcgard type wheel locking nuts. They were overtightened by a gorilla with an air gun! But they’re off now and replaced with ‘ordinary’ wheel nuts. My issue is that although the new nuts are the same design as the other three ie M12 1.5mm 19mm they are clearly not as ‘hefty’, slightly smaller. Overall length of the original nuts 29mm, new 25.2mm? Overall width of the conical part, old 27mm new 24mm? But the interesting bit is that the old nuts are actually 18mm hex, but 19.1mm with the metal cap fitted, new nuts are 19mm hex exactly. So, what gives? Why are the new nuts slightly smaller, cutbacks, corona?

Cheers

They are the wrong size and type, get some proper Ford ones not generic the seat part of your alloy will get damaged.

Ok thanks. All my wheel nuts, the original ones included, do not have the separate captive washer. So are the original nuts also the wrong type? What is the exact name of the nut type I’m after? Because 2009 zetec S just brings up the same nut?

Thanks

2 hours ago, Luke4efc said:

They're the wrong size and can actually damage your alloy.

The ones you've bought are just standard lug nuts you use with most aftermarket wheels. Ford use a captive washer and have a wider contact surface area.

None of my wheelnuts, the originals or the new ones, have the captive washers?