Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What Engine 1.5T EcoBoost vs 1.0 EcoBoost MHEV

KJFordie

Hello all, I’m looking for some thoughts/advice on what the engine you think should go for. 

I am looking to buy a used Focus, ST Line X. Max 2 years old. I have always liked the idea of the 1.5T Ecoboost 182bhp engine, but they are difficult to source and I have never managed to find one locally to test drive. 

Today I test drove the 1.0 EcoBoost MHEV and I was really impressed with it. 

I can pick up a 6 month MHEV with 5K miles for £19K, the same price as a year and a half 1.5T with 15K miles, although the one I have seen online has a few more options.

It might be a stupid question, but are the two engines chalk and cheese? 

I hear mixed reports on the fuel consumption of the 1.5T, I appreciate it will be more than the MHEV. 

Has anyone driven the two engines i have in mind?

your comments would be much appreciated. 

I have a 3 year old focus 1.5 182 with the older 4 cylinder engine and I love it. Lots of power and smooth acceleration all the way up. I got it up to 47mpg on a 300 mile motorway trip but generally get around 35mpg on my daily commute.

I also drive my wife's 3 year old 1.0 ecosport which is still nice to drive but doesn't have as much power behind it. That gets a bit higher around 37 to 39mpg on local driving if you don't floor it. The 1.0 is slower to accelerate at higher speeds but it does get there when you need it.

I can't comment on the mhev though as I haven't had chance to drive one yet.

Which power MHEV?  The 155ps is plenty torquey enough.  Also briefly had a 150ps 1.5T - I prefer the way the 155 puts the power down, but when you're not putting power down it's not smooth due to the regen occuring every time you lift off or brake.

MPG isn't great on either engine...I had a 2.0 TSI managing much more than the 1.5 (sub 40mpg), and about the same as the 1.0 over the same roads (45 mpg in suburbia).

Ultimately it's an individual choice though...if you test drive the MHEV and liked it, you may as well go for it! :smile:

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club