Do Not Sell My Personal Information

07 Focus 1600 speedo stuck at 110

Andy Chapman

Hi folks, new here and thanks for the acceptance. My daughter's 07 Focus 1600 petrol Style has the speedo stuck on 110 mph and the rev counter at 2k when stationary and the engine switched off. I see there are regular issues with the instrument cluster, but is this a new one? Any idea of a cure? Also, is a diesel cluster the same as petrol? Will a diesel fit? Reason I'm asking is there seem to be more diesel car clusters available on eBay than petrol. Thanks in anticipation Andy.

Sounds like someone has stripped the cluster to re-solder the connector pins on the board, but has not put the needles back on correctly.

Hi Andy, it does sound like the cluster has been taken apart at some time. Let me try and answer your questions and when I can remember how I might be able to tell you how to reset the pointers.

First off the Diesel cluster and Petrol cluster look almost identical but there're not. The progamming info in the cluster is slightly different, for example the diesel has the glow plug light activated and the petrol does not. There are other differences which would make swapping them a real pain. 🥴

Next built in to the instrument cluster is part of the PATs security system. If you swap the cluster the cars other modules will know and the Red flashing alarm light will flash like mad and the car won't start. 🙁

Now the big one, there is a way (but I can't remember just now) to make the instrument cluster do a full self test and recalibrate, no tools or software required. The all clocks and guages will go hard to zero and then hard to max and then back to the correct position, I once had to do this on an 06 Fiesta with a similar problem.

I will try and see if I can find the info and post back when I have it, or someone else may know how to do it.

Sorted! Thanks for the advice. Spot on!

5 hours ago, DaveT70 said:

Sounds like someone has stripped the cluster to re-solder the connector pins on the board, but has not put the needles back on correctly.

Thanks for the advice. Cheers Andy