Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help with new tyre st mk7

ledzz10

Hey guys

Had 4 pilot sports fitted 200 miles ago but the steering inputs barely anything at speed

Would this be normal

Alignment done and tyre pressures are right

Thankyou

24 minutes ago, ledzz10 said:

but the steering inputs barely anything at speed

Hi James, can you explain your problem a little more ?

Yeh sure

On b roads at speed the steering feels very vague and have no idea what the front ends doing

1 hour ago, unofix said:

Hi James, can you explain your problem a little more ?

Thankyou

Hi James, I know you say the tyre pressures have been checked but it does sound like the front tyre pressure is a couple of pounds too high. Have you looked at the tyre label stuck on your car (inside door post?)

The right pressure is 36 and 26 and these have been done with a digital tyre pressure and then used an analogue gauge to make sure

I have Michelin Pilot Sports on my Red Edition Zetec S (ST Line) (17 inch wheels) and find about 31 or 32 PSI on the front feels about right for me..........if that helps at all. The rears are set to 30 on mine.

Would of thought the manufacturers would of been best

Thanks though May experiment bud

6 hours ago, ledzz10 said:

Hey guys

Had 4 pilot sports fitted 200 miles ago but the steering inputs barely anything at speed

Would this be normal

Alignment done and tyre pressures are right

Thankyou

Found this on another forum:

New tyres are coated in a releasing agent to stop them sticking to the mould during manufacture.

This releasing agent acts as a barrier between the tyres rubber and the road surface, thus reducing the tyres initial grip level (especially on damp/wet roads!). This can lead to owners thinking that the tyres are defective when they are not.

Next, new tyres are not perfectly round when they come out of the moulds and the tread blocks are not all at the exact same height. The tyres have slight high spots on them that wear away after the first couple of hundred miles or so. This can also make a car feel skittish on new tyres.

Finally, new tyres need to bed-in to suit your cars chassis/suspension setup. No two cars will have the exact same geometry/alignment etc., and again, new tyres need a couple of hundred miles for their tread blocks to wear down to suit the car.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tiexen said:

Found this on another forum:

New tyres are coated in a releasing agent to stop them sticking to the mould during manufacture.

This releasing agent acts as a barrier between the tyres rubber and the road surface, thus reducing the tyres initial grip level (especially on damp/wet roads!). This can lead to owners thinking that the tyres are defective when they are not.

Next, new tyres are not perfectly round when they come out of the moulds and the tread blocks are not all at the exact same height. The tyres have slight high spots on them that wear away after the first couple of hundred miles or so. This can also make a car feel skittish on new tyres.

Finally, new tyres need to bed-in to suit your cars chassis/suspension setup. No two cars will have the exact same geometry/alignment etc., and again, new tyres need a couple of hundred miles for their tread blocks to wear down to suit the car.

Yeah, in a similar vein I was wondering if your tyres just need another 100-odd miles to bed in fully? Could be wrong...

I have noticed a little less feedback in my PS4's but they have far more than 200 miles on them (must be just over 2 years since I had them fitted but not sure on the mileage done).

I had been trying to stick to 36 front and 28 rear (mainly as I have had a slow leak on the valve/alloy somewhere).

One time I used my Ryobi tyre inflator to inflate (from cold) my tyres before heading out. I did notice at that point that control did seem lacking and re-checked the levels at the local Sainsburys and found that the readings were almost 3 PSI higher (39 front instead of 36). Not sure if the Ryobi dial is positioned incorrectly as it was reading 36 when I used it that morning. After letting out some of the air at the petrol station the car felt much more in control.

14 hours ago, ledzz10 said:

The right pressure is 36 and 26 and these have been done with a digital tyre pressure and then used an analogue gauge to make sure

I think 36 is a bit high for the fronts.   I think it should be 33.

Wow! 😲 36psi on the front of a Fiesta ST...seems to be correct as per Ford specs. (only 35psi in my Mondeo with a massive/heavy diesel engine 😂)

As mentioned above, they may need longer to bed in.

What tyres did you have previously? As you know different manufacturers make tyres to their own specs, and although I don't have experience of the PS4 I do have the PS4S tyres on my car. In comparison to the Bridgestone RE050 (OE fit on my car), the Michelin's are no where near as direct because they have a much softer sidewall than the Bridgestone's. I also find that the PS4S tyres need a bit of warming up before they start to feel better. So, maybe your previous tyres had a harder sidewall?

On 4/26/2021 at 9:46 PM, Zico said:

I have noticed a little less feedback in my PS4's but they have far more than 200 miles on them (must be just over 2 years since I had them fitted but not sure on the mileage done).

I had been trying to stick to 36 front and 28 rear (mainly as I have had a slow leak on the valve/alloy somewhere).

One time I used my Ryobi tyre inflator to inflate (from cold) my tyres before heading out. I did notice at that point that control did seem lacking and re-checked the levels at the local Sainsburys and found that the readings were almost 3 PSI higher (39 front instead of 36). Not sure if the Ryobi dial is positioned incorrectly as it was reading 36 when I used it that morning. After letting out some of the air at the petrol station the car felt much more in control.

Hey buddy

Petrol stations are famous for not having a urate tyre pressures

Maybe you felt more due to the pilot sports having a soft sdewall and over inflation does help with feel

On 4/27/2021 at 10:25 AM, Frembrit said:

Wow! 😲 36psi on the front of a Fiesta ST...seems to be correct as per Ford specs. (only 35psi in my Mondeo with a massive/heavy diesel engine 😂)

As mentioned above, they may need longer to bed in.

What tyres did you have previously? As you know different manufacturers make tyres to their own specs, and although I don't have experience of the PS4 I do have the PS4S tyres on my car. In comparison to the Bridgestone RE050 (OE fit on my car), the Michelin's are no where near as direct because they have a much softer sidewall than the Bridgestone's. I also find that the PS4S tyres need a bit of warming up before they start to feel better. So, maybe your previous tyres had a harder sidewall?

Strange how the st have so much pressure for a light vehicle yeh agreed

Had Bridgestones before probably why they feel soft

Sort of getting used to them

have a feeling pumping them to 38 would help with the steering though

Ford recommend the front PSI on the ST 180 to be 36 or 40, and the rears at 26 or 30.

If the sidewall is too soft, 40 PSI on the front will help make it firmer.

The OE Potenza RE050A did seem to have a hard sidewall. About 2 years ago I replaced all my tyres with Hankook Ventus Evo 2 K120's and I regret it. Jelly sidewall, really affected the handling.

Where have you heard 40 buddy

Not seen that anywhere

Yeh heard about the ventus tyres

More of a soft road tyre

23 hours ago, Ad@m said:

https://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/14fstst1e.pdf

On Page 21,  I was slightly wrong. + 3PSI for high speed driving .

That’ supplement is for the US STs which use different pressures.

US B pillar decal

2D5C1DB7-09F1-4791-B91D-8E1ACABED300.jpeg

UK B pillar decal

64443091-D584-44C6-A324-89B27315789D.jpeg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MarksST said:

That’ supplement is for the US STs which use different pressures.

US B pillar decal

2D5C1DB7-09F1-4791-B91D-8E1ACABED300.jpeg

UK B pillar decal

64443091-D584-44C6-A324-89B27315789D.jpeg

Legend

What would you recommend if say you went to Germany and did a lot of speeds above 100mph but also a lot of normal speeds

Would you say 39 and 28 would still be best without messing up the handling

Asked this on the fiesta st owners but the admins are karens who still sleep with mumma and deleted it

Thanks buddy

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club