Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Driving mode

m.levin

Hi

I have a 2020 focus Active X Vignale 1.5ltr Diesel Automatic.

It has 5 driving modes, I have sort of grasped what these do, but when in the eco mode does it shut down one of the cylinders or is that only on the Ecoboost? not that it matters but its a nice talking point, my teenage daughter loves me feeding her this sort of information, I know this because I get "Dad you are so Boring!!".

Also is it possible to store what driving mode you are in, for future drives, so you don't have to keep selecting it each time you go out in the car?

27 minutes ago, m.levin said:

but when in the eco mode does it shut down one of the cylinders or is that only on the Ecoboost?

Yes, just petrols have cylinder deactivation. Drive modes in the automatics also change the gear change points

28 minutes ago, m.levin said:

Also is it possible to store what driving mode you are in, for future drives, so you don't have to keep selecting it each time you go out in the car?

Unfortunately, no

1 hour ago, m.levin said:

eco mode does it shut down one of the cylinders or is that only on the Ecoboost?

Contrary to popular belief, Eco Mode in engines that have Cylinder Deactivation  does not shut down a Cylinder any more often than when driving in Normal Mode.

The reason that  Diesel engines do not have Deactivation is that they are not Throttled, therefore they have no Pumping Loses at low throttle openings so deactivation would not save any fuel.

Sports mode in the auto keeps the revs at 2 mostly instead of idling at 1 . Obviously holds gears longer but is keeping revs higher for higher torque? It is very lively to say the least! 

Hi Alex, I've had my auto since last July and I've never thought to try Sports mode. Next time I'm out in the car I'm going to have a little fun and give it a try 😀

• Like 1

You won’t be disappointed! If I had a diesel it’d be always in sports , your mpg will still be good compared to the petrol engine. B4 i got the car I was dubious about sports mode being any good but it is super responsive on the accelerator. I think the steering is heavier too. I know mines not a hot hatch , more of a warm hatch but compared to hot hatch of the 90s it holds its own. Did you get paddles? I know a lot of more recent ones didn’t . I rarely use them but can be handy used at just the right time to drop a gear. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, unofix said:

Hi Alex, I've had my auto since last July and I've never thought to try Sports mode. Next time I'm out in the car I'm going to have a little fun and give it a try 😀

It's annoying in the diesel, changes up far too high (past peak torque) in the rev range. No one wants a diesel changing up at 3,500 RPM.

37 minutes ago, DaveT70 said:

It's annoying in the diesel, changes up far too high (past peak torque) in the rev range. No one wants a diesel changing up at 3,500 RPM.

Maybe been designed for the petrol , didn’t work so good on the diesel but put it on there anyway. Knowing Ford..

Did you just change to an auto recently? 

I have tried out the sports mode, it revs very high before changing, I didn't notice the difference in the steering, but I was going down the motorway at the time. I just like the colour the dials go in sports mode, shame you cant personalise those. 

Shame about storing the mode for future trips out. 

Thanks for the replies

Well guys I've been out this afternoon in my super sporty 2.0L diesel automatic and I have to say I'm very impressed. It pulls like a train from a standing start and just keeps on going and going. I do have the paddles on the steering which I use from time on a couple of long hills nearby with a 30 MPH limit, the car tries to go up them in sixth but I knock it down a gear so the engine is not struggling so much.

I think that Sport mode will get used a lot now I've tried it out 👍

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club