Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coolant leak, help defining the picture!

Ff4266

Hello,

i have a question on my 2013 Fiesta 1.0 80 bhp version. As you can see on the pictures, coolant is leaking. But can anyone tell where this is coming from or if this is a known issue?

thanks in advance!

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Hate to say it, but could this be the head gasket?  Not quite sure from the photos.

Looks like it is coming from that bolt in the last picture though, but not sure what that is…

Looks like there's a big crack in the ally head at the top of your second picture.  

Hopefully it's an optical illusion or a bit of dirt...will be expensive if not! :unsure:

I could well be wrong, but doesn't the last photo show a section of where the head meets the block (question to all)?  Liquids can have a tendancy to dribble down from where ever it's coming from and collect in a place that looks like the origin.

1 minute ago, TomsFocus said:

crack in the ally head

Yeah, saw that, but is that bit part of the jacket retaining coolant... million dollar (not that much) question.

13 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Looks like there's a big crack in the ally head at the top of your second picture.  

Hopefully it's an optical illusion or a bit of dirt...will be expensive if not! :unsure:

Went to check inmediately but that was dirt. I wiped it clean, lucky me!

• Haha 1

Just now, Ff4266 said:

Went to check inmediately but that was dirt. I wiped it clean, lucky me!

Well at least that's something ruled out! :biggrin:

Can't really see the source of the leak though.  Try to dry it up with kitchen roll if you can.  Let it dry fully and then watch where it comes from next engine start.  I think it might be coming from under the manifold and just collecting on the left hand side, but really can't see from the pictures.

Also, I'd have a quick look at the oil filler cap to see if there's any white/biege creamy oil in the cap itself.  The creamy stuff is an oil and coolant mix (emulsion) that can show there if the issue is a Bug**red cylinder head gasket.  If it is, might be worth doing a compression test.  Really hope not though...

Like the others have said Clean up the area with kitchen towels and wipes, to remove all coolant and oil grime. Then start engine and watch for leakage to find leakage start point. Keep an eye on coolant reservoir to see how much is leaking on normal journey to and from work say.(small job easy fix little money , big job big fix lots of money)

1 hour ago, Henryge said:

Like the others have said Clean up the area with kitchen towels and wipes, to remove all coolant and oil grime. Then start engine and watch for leakage to find leakage start point. Keep an eye on coolant reservoir to see how much is leaking on normal journey to and from work say.(small job easy fix little money , big job big fix lots of money)

I did exactly this and after starting the engine, this little drop appeared. Not leaking that much fortunately but I would like to know where it is coming from..

1k0.jpg

Hello. I'm afraid that you've got a problem with your engine block having a crack or a rust hole... I think it is possible to find someone to weld it. Otherwise you'll need another block.

InkedK026092106_LI.jpg

Maybe the crack is on the aluminum timing belt cover that is fitted at the front of the block. Clean it well with a screwdriver and check the material on the problem area. If it is aluminum then the problem is on the timming belt cover. If it is cast iron then the problem is on the block. These two parts are very close and with the photo is difficult to see from where the leaking is...The black area is cast iron and the silver area is aluminum.

Alot of complaints I have read talking about this O-ring, when it fails it does this leakage in that position , numbered 6840 in the photo, however its not an easy job, but after all if it is the source of the issue then its better than it being the head gasket or a crack in the block or the head , worth checking .

K026099003.png

3 hours ago, Eng_Ahmad1986 said:

Alot of complaints I have read talking about this O-ring, when it fails it does this leakage in that position , numbered 6840 in the photo, however its not an easy job, but after all if it is the source of the issue then its better than it being the head gasket or a crack in the block or the head , worth checking .

K026099003.png

Thanks, looks like this is the problem, as that ring has a little rubber thingy sticking out of the block, which I can see coming out of the edge as well on my engine. And exactly that is the position of the coolant drops coming out. 

Will this be an easy fix, is that the thermostat housing?

• Like 1

No it is not an easy fix but it is better than having a crack...you have to disassemble the timing belt cover (the blue one in the photo) and change the o-ring. But doing this job it is a good opportunity to change the timming belt and the tensioner.

K026099003.png

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club