Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Well it's goodbye from me. 😥

wilto

Hello all

It's with a heavy heart I am for only the second time in my 38 years of driving, switching to a different manufacturer.

I said goodbye to my Focus two weeks ago, after struggling with the high fuel consumption and jobs that needed for the next MOT.

I was going to get another focus, a mk3.5 zetec s or an ST line, but couldn't get the right balance I wanted between performance, economy and price. So after hours and hours looking on auto trader and doing my own head in researching various similar size cars, I finally decided on this. 

It's a 2018 Leon FR technology 1.4 Ecotsi 150, with 23000 miles. WHAT A CAR

If I drive it the same as I used to drive my Focus I can get 45mpg, my Focus could only manage 27-28 mpg. I've not yet taken it for a long run, but it has the active cylinder technology, that switches to two cylinder mode when not ender load.

So far 🤞 I can honestly say it's the best car I've ever owned.

I will miss you guys, I've really enjoyed being part of this community, we've had loads of fun and banter over the years, plus the help and advice we've all shared had been invaluable. Maybe one day I will come back to my favourite car maker, but for now I will be driving a Seat.

Hope you all stay safe and well and give plenty of love to your Ford.

All the best Chris (Wilto)

Screenshot_20210323_184346_uk.co.autotrader.androidconsumersearch~2.jpg

• Like 4

Hey buddy, good luck with your new car, but there's no need to leave us! Plenty of folk still post on here once their Ford moves on to new hands. The experience you have is always welcome, whether you own a Ford or not :thumbsup:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Yes, agree with Stephen, there's a lot of crossover interest in cars anyway.

I had a Mk 3 Leon FR previously so will be interested in how you get on. You may have been there already but seatcupra.net is worth a look - decent bunch on there generally.

• Like 2

Really fantastic car, the Leon. Good choice.

Just because you have a Leon, doesn't mean you can't stay around.

Fantastic car the Leon Chris , and you got the better engine 1.4 rather than the problematic 1.5 

33 minutes ago, pompeydave1967 said:

Fantastic car the Leon Chris , and you got the better engine 1.4 rather than the problematic 1.5 

What's wrong with the 1.5?  I've seen a few issues with the 1.4 on forums so looking at the 1.5 myself! :unsure:

13 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

What's wrong with the 1.5?  I've seen a few issues with the 1.4 on forums so looking at the 1.5 myself! :unsure:

I've seen reports of "kangarooing" 1.5 TSIs (for want of a better expression) on various VW Group forums. I believe VW have done software updates but haven't been following the story closely so don't know if that's fixed it.

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

I've seen reports of "kangarooing" 1.5 TSIs (for want of a better expression) on various VW Group forums. I believe VW have done software updates but haven't been following the story closely so don't know if that's fixed it.

Hmm...  We both noticed this on the Mk8 Golf but thought it was the clutch rather than the mapping... :ermm:   

Even with a tonne of revs it wouldn't pull away smoothly.  I was hoping it was a Mk8 quirk but if it's an engine issue, I guess the Mk7.5 will also be affected.

30 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I was hoping it was a Mk8 quirk but if it's an engine issue, I guess the Mk7.5 will also be affected.

Yes, afaik it's been an issue across VW Group brands since the 1.4 went to 1.5 (which I believe was for emission reasons rather than performance - the power/torque figures remain the same I think).

(Strangely I had what appeared to be similar issues with my Leon, even though that was a 1.8TSI, not a 1.5. No cure was forthcoming though, which is one reason I'm on Ford at the mo!😀)

A quick search of "kangarooing 1.5TSI" or similar will bring up loads of hits from press and forums.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

A quick search of "kangarooing 1.5TSI" or similar will bring up loads of hits from press and forums.

Yeah, just done that. 🤦‍♂️  I do remember seeing it before now, but had since forgotten, possibly intentionally!  I'd specifically avoided searching for problems this time as I didn't want to plant the seed of doubt in my mind...  It's akin to planting a Japanese Knotweed in there! :laugh: 

Seems to be a common problem on other cars as well.  Due to emissions mapping.  Which is what made the Mk3 Focus DV6 too jerky for me, and presumably part of the reason on the 1.0 MHEV as well.  

This certainly brings an interesting new aspect to my next car choice now. :unsure:  

7 minutes ago, m50e30 said:

That's why I always have old cars 😆

Been there, done that, didn't work for me either...  :rolleyes: :laughing:

(PS - Just realised this isn't even my thread!  Apologies @wilto!  I had a Leon FR Sport briefly before xmas with the 2.0 TSi/DSG combo...couldn't get on with that either.  Suspecting maybe the cars aren't the real problem! :wink: )

5 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Seems to be a common problem on other cars as well.  Due to emissions mapping. 

Going way off topic now, but every tightening of the emissions regs seems to adversely affect driveability and mean more cars have some form of auto. 

Won't be a problem much longer though. Irrespective of the proposed sales ban from 2030 I get the vibe from various interviews with industry bigwigs I've read that many ICE models will simply be economically unviable (and possibly undriveable!😀) by 2025 due to Euro 7 emissions standards.

• Like 1

The MK3 1.6 TDCi i test drove last year was awfully heavy and unsmooth too, the 1.9 TDI I have as a work car is super easy by comparison as it has not DPF or emissions mapping.

5 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Hi tom

massive issues with the 1.5 engine from Audi , VW ,seat , Skoda etc. I was close to buying a Leon around 19 plate but so many Leon owners have had issues . Been in and out of dealers for updates but to no avail. It seems to affect the 130bhp engine more than the 150bhp but nobody seems to be getting to the route of the problem . Many owners have said maybe a decent remap might cure this but that means £400 + and why should you have to do that. It’s obviously down to emissions being strangled so I passed on the Leon as I certainly couldn’t live with the kangarooing that loads have complained about. Looking on several forums it affects the golfs quite a bit , t-rocs , Octavias , a3 , Leon’s , ateca’s and several more.

The earlier 1.4 or 1.0 (old & new) arnt affected which gives potential owners more limited choice.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dtulip8 said:

The MK3 1.6 TDCi i test drove last year was awfully heavy and unsmooth too, the 1.9 TDI I have as a work car is super easy by comparison as it has not DPF or emissions mapping.

That's the weird thing...my Golf is a 2012 common rail with cDPF.  It should essentially drive the same as the Ford diesels of the same era.   It has even had the emisions recall remap that many owners complain about.  (Basically more EGR use and more DPF regens).

The map isn't perfect, it starts regens when cold/low fuel, and misfires just once on the first boot of the day when ambient temp is below 5c.  But around town it's perfectly controllable in 1st and 2nd without any jumping or jerking, where every car I've tried since don't seem to be.  That's the 8v 1.6 TDCi, 1.5 EcoBoost, 1.0 EcoBoost, 1.0 MHEV, 2.0TSI (DSG) and now 1.5 TSI 150...  How hard can it be to make a car drive smoothly with all of today's tech...? :unsure:

2 hours ago, pompeydave1967 said:

Hi tom

massive issues with the 1.5 engine from Audi , VW ,seat , Skoda etc. I was close to buying a Leon around 19 plate but so many Leon owners have had issues . Been in and out of dealers for updates but to no avail. It seems to affect the 130bhp engine more than the 150bhp but nobody seems to be getting to the route of the problem . Many owners have said maybe a decent remap might cure this but that means £400 + and why should you have to do that. It’s obviously down to emissions being strangled so I passed on the Leon as I certainly couldn’t live with the kangarooing that loads have complained about. Looking on several forums it affects the golfs quite a bit , t-rocs , Octavias , a3 , Leon’s , ateca’s and several more.

The earlier 1.4 or 1.0 (old & new) arnt affected which gives potential owners more limited choice.

Thanks Dave, 

I've definitely been put off the 1.5 TSI now lol.

1.0 TSI is only 115bhp so not enough for me in a Golf sized car.  The 1.4 had been phased out by the age of car I'm looking at.  I'm now genuinely considering a newer 2.0 TDI 150...  Any idea if there are issues with those?

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

That's the weird thing...my Golf is a 2012 common rail with cDPF.  It should essentially drive the same as the Ford diesels of the same era.   It has even had the emisions recall remap that many owners complain about.  (Basically more EGR use and more DPF regens).

The map isn't perfect, it starts regens when cold/low fuel, and misfires just once on the first boot of the day when ambient temp is below 5c.  But around town it's perfectly controllable in 1st and 2nd without any jumping or jerking, where every car I've tried since don't seem to be.  That's the 8v 1.6 TDCi, 1.5 EcoBoost, 1.0 EcoBoost, 1.0 MHEV, 2.0TSI (DSG) and now 1.5 TSI 150...  How hard can it be to make a car drive smoothly with all of today's tech...? :unsure:

It is weird, though I don’t find the 1.0 in my Fiesta to be any worse than other petrol cars I’ve driven. The 1.2 Punto I had as my first car was probably the jerkiest at low speed.

• Like 1

No major issues on the 2.0tdi 150. Some say slightly better model than the 184 as less stressed but that 184 doesn’t half go some.

dpf reliability pretty good on these models , if remapped the clutch could do with updating but that’s it.

live had and driven a few Leon’s and the 2012-2020 models do suffer from squeaks and rattles but easily fixed.

binnacle squeaks on plastic surround against steering surround but a bit of felt sorts that and door trim rattles a bit , again easily fixed with a bit of soundproofing and tightening of screws etc.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2021 at 6:10 AM, wilto said:

Hello all

It's with a heavy heart I am for only the second time in my 38 years of driving, switching to a different manufacturer.

I said goodbye to my Focus two weeks ago, after struggling with the high fuel consumption and jobs that needed for the next MOT.

I was going to get another focus, a mk3.5 zetec s or an ST line, but couldn't get the right balance I wanted between performance, economy and price. So after hours and hours looking on auto trader and doing my own head in researching various similar size cars, I finally decided on this. 

It's a 2018 Leon FR technology 1.4 Ecotsi 150, with 23000 miles. WHAT A CAR

If I drive it the same as I used to drive my Focus I can get 45mpg, my Focus could only manage 27-28 mpg. I've not yet taken it for a long run, but it has the active cylinder technology, that switches to two cylinder mode when not ender load.

So far 🤞 I can honestly say it's the best car I've ever owned.

I will miss you guys, I've really enjoyed being part of this community, we've had loads of fun and banter over the years, plus the help and advice we've all shared had been invaluable. Maybe one day I will come back to my favourite car maker, but for now I will be driving a Seat.

Hope you all stay safe and well and give plenty of love to your Ford.

All the best Chris (Wilto)

Screenshot_20210323_184346_uk.co.autotrader.androidconsumersearch~2.jpg

Enjoy your new car and don't be a stranger 👍

• Like 1