Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oil change let it ride to 0%?

Guy Heaton

My oil life is at 7%, I've booked a service 2nd June but it's the earliest I can do and I reckon the life will be at 0% by then.

The car will still have only done a little over 9k so I reckon it would be fine?

What are people's thoughts?  It would be a lot of hassle and moving things around to get it done any earlier.

Yep, good practice to get rid of the swarf off a new engine, I have done the same in the past.

I don't think it'll lose 7% in a month?

I'd be concerned about warranty & lease terms if it does drop to 0 though.

If the oil life if that important towards the warranty then why do Ford garages forget to reset it after a service

Perhaps its their "get out clause" if anything should go wrong.

Is it actually tied to the warranty in the first place ? 

I agree with the warranty issue comment, but with new synthetic oils (assuming Guy is using synthetic) it wont hurt to go slightly beyond 0% unless there's a warning light or chime that bugs you. At least check the oil level and verify that you have enough in the system. Even if you add a small mount of new or fresh oil, this would extend your oil change, but you may still end up with the chime or dash light. Do not reset the systems oil change indicator.

16 hours ago, LostInTransit said:

In order to get the type of oil we wanted in the van, we had the oil changed at it's first 2000 miles. Then we'll do a regular maintenance of 5K-6K miles.

Do you change the oil every 5-6K? How many miles do you do in a year? 

35 minutes ago, MarksST said:

Do you change the oil every 5-6K? How many miles do you do in a year? 

Mark, This can vary as we had been travel a lot over the last 4 years. I've yet to put the new van on the highway to see any fluctuation with the fuel economy. Even though, one could get the change oil light waring/chime, Ford says that oil changes can last up to 10,000 miles or longer before the next change is due because of the advancement in synthetic oils. If I was to guess because we didn't write down out last mileage avenge per year. Approx. 20K miles per year +/-.