Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Exhaust issue & Main dealer advice

Richuk123

Hi all.  

In September 2020, I took my fiesta (68plate 1.1, with 12.5k on the clock) into ford for what I thought was a blowing exhaust. Took it to a main dealer and they said the drain hole had got a big bigger , so they replaced the back box (which surprised me as I though on this model of fiesta they exhaust system was all one unit?)

Over the last week it's sounded a little throaty again when revving at idle, but once driving it seems fine.  So I covered the pipe up and while there was hissing and water coming from the drain hole (expected) it's now also leaking from the join where the back box was fitted to the exhaust pipe over of the Offside of the car. It currently has 15.5k on the clock)

As you can see from the pic, there is no way the pipe (left of clamp) should be last rusty after being new 7 months ago and 3.5k done in that time... 

Spoke with ford and said "but that's how they sound" but I had to say the fault is down to your workmanship just to get them to book it in and get a courtesy car.

If I am not happy with the service , what channels have I got with ford to go down to get this sorted under warranty?

Anyone else had problems with exhaust on this age/mk of car?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks 

Rich

DSC_0201.JPG

The underlying problem is that you're not driving the car for long enough each journey. Condensation builds up in the exhaust and the only way to remove it all is by getting it up to temperature for a while. Unless you get a stainless exhaust then you'll just be replacing the whole exhaust every 3 years.

Every 3 years!? Blimey ... I average around 6-8k per year (not done a lot for 2 months due to working from home, but that stops in May), 

Will ford use that as a tactic to say "it's your fault?"

2 hours ago, Richuk123 said:

Every 3 years!? Blimey ... I average around 6-8k per year (not done a lot for 2 months due to working from home, but that stops in May), 

Will ford use that as a tactic to say "it's your fault?"

I doubt they will say it is your fault, they will probably say it is down to fair wear and tear for the usage and milage covered in the car.

Very true, although if it's another replacement part, I'd be hard pressed to say it's fair wear & Tear, given age, mileage and history. I'd also argue that it's leaking from the join they made fitting the new one 7 months ago.   

I've not noticed an decrease in power and when I'm up to speed it certainly isn't noisy and it isn't loud at idle, so It could only be a small leak, but I'd like to think ford would cover it. 

1 hour ago, Richuk123 said:

Very true, although if it's another replacement part, I'd be hard pressed to say it's fair wear & Tear, given age, mileage and history. I'd also argue that it's leaking from the join they made fitting the new one 7 months ago.   

I've not noticed an decrease in power and when I'm up to speed it certainly isn't noisy and it isn't loud at idle, so It could only be a small leak, but I'd like to think ford would cover it. 

All you can do is ask them, you will not know until you do. If they don't wish to help then you will have to decide where to go from there. If they do, happy days.