Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Vibration From Brake Pedal / Tracking Issue

Hi All, 

This is a slight continuation on the vibration from the brake pedal i was experiencing and the drifting of the Focus (1.5 Ecoboost - 2020)

Took the car to Ford and they couldn't find anything wrong (The first time didn't even put it on the ramps) I asked them to have another look at it and they said there was no vibration and the drifting was normal to a certain extent. 

I took it to a local tyre place i have used for some years and asked them to look at the tracking as a way of eliminating faults, this has been an improvement and the vibration although still there has been minimised and the drifting is not as wild as it was.   He did mention that the tracking was out (see pictures) and that the rear wheel alignment was out but couldn't see a way to adjust this on the car.  Does anybody have any thoughts on this at all? Is this normal? As usual thanks in advance for any help or comments. 

track 1.jpg

track.jpg

Good that one gets a second opinion on these issues, if the struts check out, it is possible that one or more tires have a bad mold spot with the tire or the tread pattern. In order to test this, rotate your tires to see if you can recreate this vibration. At some point I suspect with the process of elimination or even having the tires rebalanced you'll isolate the bad tire or tires.

Depending on the age of the car, you may even have a bad wheel baring. This would require one to remove the wheels, brake rotor, calipers and check the or even regrease the barings. But typically this sounds like a wheel has either lost it wheel weights or was not balanced correctly.

Hi, thaks for the message. I had all wheels balanced first a starting point which unfortunately did not make any difference. Tyres are new  (ish) car has only done 6000 miles although there is a mix on the front of michelin primacy and pilot sport although the chap at the garage said this should not be a problem and not cause the vibration through the pedal.

Common knowledge would indicate that because the tires are mismatched, you will see a vibration. Here's a quote from the web:

Q: Can mismatched tires cause vibration?

A: Tires often cause car vibration. When tire tread is too low or unevenly distributed on a tire, it can cause a car to vibrate at high and low speeds. An unbalanced tire can be the cause of vibration for a car as well. A vibrating car can be a signal to the owner that a tire is defective or about to come apart.

One other area to check is to see if the tires are directional. meaning was one tire installed with the arrow backwards which would give you a bad rotation as the tire and tread pattern was designed to rotate in a single direction. I would seriously think about getting matching tires at least on the front of the vehicle. This is why you always by two tires if one goes bad.

It's just poor quality control/build quality...typical modern Ford lol.

It's not a huge concern as the handling is already compromised by being twist beam in the first place.  You might find the rear tyres get some edge wear over time, but it won't be that causing your vibration.

Not sure you mentioned the difference in tyres before...that can easily cause a pull if they're different tread patterns and compounds.  Bring from the same brand isn't really relevant.  I'd swap those to the back personally.