Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Fridge Thermometer

TomsFocus

Does anyone have a fridge thermometer?

I bought a lovely, German built, high spec fridge this week only to find it doesn't fit in my narrow slot... :sad:

Had to be swapped with an inferior model today.  One of the things I did want that this one hasn't got is a thermometer.  Obviously accuracy is the key here so don't want to just buy the cheapest one on eBay!

Would prefer digital, ideally with a light sensor so it doesn't waste battery in display 24/7.  But may consider others.

Thanks!

I use a digital thermometer used for an aquarium, both accurate and the batteries last forever. Two years in constant use, still on the same cr2032 battery

Hope that helps

• Like 1

Tom, I too have a fridge thermometer, held on by a spot of BluTac on the door with the sensor inside. I think it was £3, maybe £4 inc P&P on eBay. Been going for years with a replacement of battery when needed. Love it being external so you can monitor temperature without opening the door which to me defeats the object LOL On reading your post again, this is probably nowhere near posh enough for you  🤣

IMG_20210501_160713.thumb.jpg.79e459d526fb0c9980086ed8c07ace6d.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Lol, it doesn't need to be posh, just accurate!  :biggrin:

I've put an external one in there for now, part of a weather station.  But it's very slow to adjust, especially when the temp changes direction, so not ideal.  Not convinced it's particularly accurate either...  Though it is at least 15 years old now.

What temp do you keep yours at out of interest?  My old fridge was going up to 8c which probably explains why things weren't lasting...and why I could spread the butter lately! :laugh:

This one dropped to 1.2c though so I'm a bit worried it's too far the other way!

8 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

What temp do you keep yours at out of interest? 

It usually hovers around 4c which I find is perfect for an 'ice cold' glass of milk LOL That's how I knew my previous fridge was on it's way out as everything lasted much shorter than it should. I keep thinking this is a 'new' fridge (Beko), but on just checking the receipt, it's from 2013. The fridge/freezer I have in my garage is a HotPoint, and was bought brand new in 1986! It has had one repair though since then so not that reliable 🤣

• Haha 1

Hotpoint were still decent back in the 80's, my Nan swore by them for years...it's now just mass produced, cheaply made, rubbish since being part of the Whirlpool group.  Had issues with both fridge freezer and washer dryer bought in 2015.  :sad:

Let's hope the Fridgemaster will be better!  The one year warranty doesn't exactly inspire confidence though! :laugh:

9 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Hotpoint were still decent back in the 80's,

I swear my 35 year old fridge/freezer is built like a tank, literally! If you press your thumb on any modern fridge door, it will deform before bouncing back, there is no way mine deforms as the gauge of steel used was ludicrously over engineered! I personally blame computer design.

When I did a tour of the generators inside the Hoover dam, we were told the terrazzo floor where they were situated, had a life expectancy of 4000 years, as they were designed and built in the 1930s, before computers so they just over engineered them, 'just in case'! Computers allow things to be built to a 'break spec' +10%, so that's why they fall apart all the time LOL

• Like 3

According to "Currys PC World" Technical Experts 🤣 (Sorry) when the ice cubes are set nice and hard you know its cold enough !

What more information could you need ? 😉

• Haha 1

CAD = Computer Aided Destruction.......

• Like 1

Bought one of these...  Liked the max & min display.

Will see what it's like after an hour as it seems a bit warm atm. :unsure:

2090206152_Screenshot_20210504-1939502.thumb.png.364d23815dd1efaea9b9d99d6ba064cb.png

18 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Bought one of these...  Liked the max & min display.

Will see what it's like after an hour as it seems a bit warm atm. :unsure:

Now, you do know every time you open the door it pops up 3c? LOL You'll need to climb in there with it to accurately gauge, and even then, your body temp will screw it all up 🤣

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Now, you do know every time you open the door it pops up 3c? LOL You'll need to climb in there with it to accurately gauge, and even then, your body temp will screw it all up 🤣

I'm opening the door super quickly before it gets the chance to change. :tongue:

Tbf I'm just as interested in the lowest temp though...  Don't want meat freezing in there! :unsure:

• Haha 1

Nobody wants their meat freezing.....

• Like 1

Just to update this, it seems there is quite a big variation on temp in the top shelf.  But the bottom 'meat' shelf has remained between 3.4 and 5.4c for the last few days.  Average 4.4c on the middle dial setting. :smile:

19 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Just to update this, it seems there is quite a big variation on temp in the top shelf.  But the bottom 'meat' shelf has remained between 3.4 and 5.4c for the last few days.  Average 4.4c on the middle dial setting. :smile:

Good to see that my A level physics experiments done over 40 years ago are still valid LOL (Colder, more dense air sinks to the bottom due to greater mass and slower molecule bombardment) 😁

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Good to see that my A level physics experiments done over 40 years ago are still valid LOL (Colder, more dense air sinks to the bottom due to greater mass and slower molecule bombardment) 😁

True, but this is a 'total no frost' fridge with a fan to circulate the air, so I had expected a more even temp distribution. :g: 

22 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

True, but this is a 'total no frost' fridge with a fan to circulate the air, so I had expected a more even temp distribution. :g: 

Was unfamiliar with this technology, but a bit of research gave me,

"Intensive circulation of cool air eliminates moisture from both the freezer and refrigerator compartment. This prevents the accumulation of frost on the food and ice on interior walls and keeps power consumption low. As a result, the usage of the storage capacity is optimal, and defrosting and cleaning of the freezer interior are longer necessary. Packages or pieces of frozen food will not stick to each other, keeping your food in the freezer neat and tidy. "

Am unsure it offers the promise of even temperature distribution, just the promise of 'no frost' LOL

• Like 1

I suppose the clue is in the name really! :wink: 

The main reason for the upgrade was the lack of having to defrost though.  Every few months I'd have to empty the whole lot and wait for hours while the old one defrosted.  It was such a poor design because the metal racking between the drawers and especially at the top froze solid and was too tight to get any fingers or tools in, so just had to leave it and wait.  Meaning any food had to be binned (took too long for a cool bag) and meant I was up the creek if I wasn't well enough to go shopping the day after defrosting.

It's a real shame as the old fridge was better quality and slightly larger capacity, I just had no idea that they even still sold 'manual defrost' fridge freezers when I bought it in 2015!!  Incidentally, I can't even give it away so far... :sad:  Don't want to dump it though as it does still work.  Tried offering it on Facebook and Instagram with no takers.  Stuck it on eBay and just got one single bid from a no-feedback member who I'm fairly sure isn't even real.  Tried donating to a charity shop but have been waiting over a week for a response.

19 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

The main reason for the upgrade was the lack of having to defrost though.  Every few months I'd have to empty the whole lot and wait for hours while the old one defrosted. 

I think I've already mentioned that my current HotPoint fridge/freezer is now 35 years old. I have never switched it off to defrost, but use the technique of taking a proper hammer to it to chip/smash the ice off the various shelves. I usually empty it for the duration, and pack everything back into it within an hour LOL My main fear being if I switch it off, it'll never turn back on again. The technique is not to be recommended for anything decent, but I reckon if I do break it, by now I probably deserve a replacement!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

HotPoint fridge/freezer is now 35 years old

You're a man after my own heart, I hate to replace anything that is still working. When its time to say good bye to your fridge be happy to know it will be recycled (do we still do that? or does it have to be UPcycled?) in to a brand new state of the art Electric Car which will last just long enough to reach the end of its warranty 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

My old fridge was collected by a charity this morning.  Hopefully it goes on to help someone else out. :smile: 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Bit of an update...  The new fridge always seems to either be too warm or too cold, with no in between...the smallest touch on the dial seems to swing it in the opposite direction even after a few hours to settle.  This is why I originally wanted a fridge with proper temp control but sadly not an option with the slim size fridge I needed. :sad: 

So the choice is either, averaging 5c on the bottom shelf, with higher shelves warmer and butter very soft.  Or averaging 3c on the bottom shelf, but dropping to around 1.7c which I'm worried may start to freeze things?  I'd rather keep it on the cooler temp of the two, but not sure how to know if things have started to freeze before opening them?

As regulars will know, I have a lot of 'digestive' issues so have to be really careful with what I eat.  Was hoping the new fridge would relieve some of the worries about food being stored well but if anything it's worse than the old one.  :rolleyes:  I also think the auto-defrost function lasts a bit too long, as boxes feel limp and soggy afterwards, though admittedly ice cream inside still feels frozen.  Not sure if the fridge temp dial has any impact on the freezer.

Tbh I'd happily buy another if anyone knows of a slim (55cm wide) fridge freezer with proper temp control...don't care about the cost any more, just want the peace of mind that stuff is actually safely stored, especially in this heat.

I had this problem a bit ago,i got one of those wireless ones that its mainly for the outdoor but does cover down that low so will be ok in the fridge as it does say,there are 4 reading so 4 of the wireless sensors and 1 main unit that reads all 4 and also an alarm so min/max.

My fridge it set that it comes on at 4c and turns off around 0c but you will never get them spot on,my problem was the freezer and fridge run off the same dial to set it so i either had a solid freezer or a warm-ish fridge so fridge is ok but freezer is around -20 to -25 so it's a fast freeze which is ok for me.

Tried a nice few but this on off amazon does all the jobs in one unit for me.

On 5/19/2021 at 1:50 PM, TomsFocus said:

My old fridge was collected by a charity this morning.  Hopefully it goes on to help someone else out. :smile: 

Pretty Cool ❄️

🤭

• Haha 1