Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Fridge Thermometer

TomsFocus

On 6/13/2021 at 5:00 AM, jace1969 said:

I had this problem a bit ago,i got one of those wireless ones that its mainly for the outdoor but does cover down that low so will be ok in the fridge as it does say,there are 4 reading so 4 of the wireless sensors and 1 main unit that reads all 4 and also an alarm so min/max.

My fridge it set that it comes on at 4c and turns off around 0c but you will never get them spot on,my problem was the freezer and fridge run off the same dial to set it so i either had a solid freezer or a warm-ish fridge so fridge is ok but freezer is around -20 to -25 so it's a fast freeze which is ok for me.

Tried a nice few but this on off Amazon does all the jobs in one unit for me.

Ended up upgrading mine to a wireless unit for both...  

Still not convinced that the fridge in particular regulates well enough but there's not much I can do about it...  Noticed a couple of other manufacturers using exactly the same appliance casing so probably have the same internals as well...

One thing that did interest me was the auto-defrost.  It's smarter than I thought.  It first 'deep-freezes' down to -25 before starting the defrost procedure so hopefully the food should remain frozen solid even when the temp in the freezer rises higher than the ideal -18c.  It actually rose to -16c which I thought was bad, until I filled it with the weeks shop and it rose to -15! 😮  But more worryingly the fridge rises to around 7c on the coldest shelf during the auto-defrost which I'm not overly pleased by.   

nlNfmKHHBIs9nT-eBrawEKlGYSec_965HfWb4kT8iI9LaO-abgYYnmBZaEZCPVbkI3ojbPEPBFetLdcDBWcdBwmQG-XcenQ_uD2622PwuWfnyXNNSY7i_otDid_lZm7-Hh5mz22b0ve7wjwQZACBAslip_8G7jalQpXjwF0Kwbww1ylryXgsPE1-oebJkic_R31d54HL8d7CwYgZsD-u82KLaJNC-2Y8gKUdtGfDzIS_I2Yis85TQW90YcpZIFu-HbFCO5HQfU7LsFz78jYF_cR_CCLm1B3vCaxkHAIdtrgwhHDNoIPhbm4mP3k8Jc6nWO0AAFFWcs5Bs-vwxeHggCIhOfenOlVo1XWvURSEtufzAQPER1fLA7xgc_Ug2xvqQPYGKYawWJnfVyKfWR9LP-UNAZkdQK6mKJVUEy_-Isz7qN9HNGZNgxCEyERRydj5t5ynpeSgj_VGoRQoAStcg6O-Sx_4LqYeQcSr_1TFP9_4y06L8flQ788Zo91v20fYKZ2Sb80NSLnMxjO6yrth4wPFDNzxAtIymAQTN9KunJ56XO_Q9d2mF--HcVheS9DkbPMuSY58_5cJjh3QE-yCGcmu5aCN3WyOkWZjBRl1j6c7snPMKlKmfUu6hox4qFNB9bcq9nxnVVD41uqenP-TVqWm07z5mwl6W7pyNw1OnHF3GuC3ZFXQ2dSiABsJTTsHY_Gd9FcNGmHYZpj2sLmVJBrO=w876-h657-no?authuser=0

9 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Ended up upgrading mine to a wireless unit for both...  

Still not convinced that the fridge in particular regulates well enough but there's not much I can do about it...  Noticed a couple of other manufacturers using exactly the same appliance casing so probably have the same internals as well...

One thing that did interest me was the auto-defrost.  It's smarter than I thought.  It first 'deep-freezes' down to -25 before starting the defrost procedure so hopefully the food should remain frozen solid even when the temp in the freezer rises higher than the ideal -18c.  It actually rose to -16c which I thought was bad, until I filled it with the weeks shop and it rose to -15! 😮  But more worryingly the fridge rises to around 7c on the coldest shelf during the auto-defrost which I'm not overly pleased by.   

nlNfmKHHBIs9nT-eBrawEKlGYSec_965HfWb4kT8iI9LaO-abgYYnmBZaEZCPVbkI3ojbPEPBFetLdcDBWcdBwmQG-XcenQ_uD2622PwuWfnyXNNSY7i_otDid_lZm7-Hh5mz22b0ve7wjwQZACBAslip_8G7jalQpXjwF0Kwbww1ylryXgsPE1-oebJkic_R31d54HL8d7CwYgZsD-u82KLaJNC-2Y8gKUdtGfDzIS_I2Yis85TQW90YcpZIFu-HbFCO5HQfU7LsFz78jYF_cR_CCLm1B3vCaxkHAIdtrgwhHDNoIPhbm4mP3k8Jc6nWO0AAFFWcs5Bs-vwxeHggCIhOfenOlVo1XWvURSEtufzAQPER1fLA7xgc_Ug2xvqQPYGKYawWJnfVyKfWR9LP-UNAZkdQK6mKJVUEy_-Isz7qN9HNGZNgxCEyERRydj5t5ynpeSgj_VGoRQoAStcg6O-Sx_4LqYeQcSr_1TFP9_4y06L8flQ788Zo91v20fYKZ2Sb80NSLnMxjO6yrth4wPFDNzxAtIymAQTN9KunJ56XO_Q9d2mF--HcVheS9DkbPMuSY58_5cJjh3QE-yCGcmu5aCN3WyOkWZjBRl1j6c7snPMKlKmfUu6hox4qFNB9bcq9nxnVVD41uqenP-TVqWm07z5mwl6W7pyNw1OnHF3GuC3ZFXQ2dSiABsJTTsHY_Gd9FcNGmHYZpj2sLmVJBrO=w876-h657-no?authuser=0

This is mine,it has the 3 sensors so the top 2 are outside back door and top of garden under car port and the 3rd is the Fridge and bottom one is just the inside room temp,had it for years off amazon and i like the option where you can set an alarm if it goes to low or high which i have done for the fridge.

temp.jpg

• Like 1

I know you're all bored of this lol, but does anyone else have an auto-defrost fridge freezer to compare with?

My fridge spent over an hour between 7-10c last night which can't be right surely!?   The auto defrost is occurring roughly every 48 hours.  I'm still within the 100 day returns window so will return it for a conventional one if they're all the same.  I can't trust the food in this one. :sad:

My Indesit fridge freezer does the same, it's normal for all new units. The auto defrost seems to happen more often in warm weather (don't know why).

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I know you're all bored of this lol, but does anyone else have an auto-defrost fridge freezer to compare with?

My fridge spent over an hour between 7-10c last night which can't be right surely!?   The auto defrost is occurring roughly every 48 hours.  I'm still within the 100 day returns window so will return it for a conventional one if they're all the same.  I can't trust the food in this one. :sad:

Tom, with respect, I do believe you maybe overthinking this LOL However, you are speaking to a guy who last month ate a tin of salmon that was almost 10 years past it's best before date LOL Oh, it was delicious, and no after effects whatsoever, I also have eaten a Fray Bentos pie 15 years past it's BBD LOL

305872361_outofdatesalmon.thumb.jpg.46538a16320124f5864bbc354bc1db9b.jpg

How was your stay in hospital Stephen ? 🤣

3 hours ago, StephenFord said:

Tom, with respect, I do believe you maybe overthinking this LOL However, you are speaking to a guy who last month ate a tin of salmon that was almost 10 years past it's best before date LOL Oh, it was delicious, and no after effects whatsoever, I also have eaten a Fray Bentos pie 15 years past it's BBD LOL

305872361_outofdatesalmon.thumb.jpg.46538a16320124f5864bbc354bc1db9b.jpg

You don't keep tins in the fridge though...  There shouldn't be any contaminants in them as long as they were canned properly.

I do accept that this is a bigger issue for me than normal people.  But have a hard enough job keeping food in my body as it is, really can't risk food being off through my own negligence.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

You don't keep tins in the fridge though...  There shouldn't be any contaminants in them as long as they were canned properly.

I do accept that this is a bigger issue for me than normal people.  But have a hard enough job keeping food in my body as it is, really can't risk food being off through my own negligence.  

Wife trained in food preparation, she insists I NEVER keep opened tins in fridge, millions of bacteria on outside of can multiply in the contents, transfer into clean container, is what I am constantly reminded to do 🙂

7 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Tom, I have to be careful as well with food having been treated for bowel cancer, I'm more sensitive than I use to be. A good test of the fridges efficiency is milk. If you keep it in the fridge, and it keeps fresh right up to it's 'use by' date, and tastes, 'ice cold 'the fridge is working fine. Both times I've had a fridge issue, milk was the primary indicator that things weren't right...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chainsawcharlie said:

Wife trained in food preparation, she insists I NEVER keep opened tins in fridge,

She is entirely correct, storing open tins in a fridge is just asking for trouble...

16 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

having been treated for bowel cancer,

Sorry to hear that, I'm in the same club 🙄 only just back out of hospital after having a stoma reversal operation and still having the hole in my side patched up daily as it heals. My whole digestive system is completely screwed up after 2 years of it not being fully conected, it now is struggling to readjust.

Maybe all of us here are suffering from a side effect of driving Fords, can we blame them and put a class action law suit in 🤣

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Chainsawcharlie said:

Wife trained in food preparation, she insists I NEVER keep opened tins in fridge, millions of bacteria on outside of can multiply in the contents, transfer into clean container, is what I am constantly reminded to do 🙂

Does she know what the acceptable fridge temperature and duration should be during the auto defrost cycle? :biggrin: 

Must admit, I've always wiped tins with anti-bac before opening them...the idea of pushing bacteria through the can in order to open it has always seemed a bit counter productive to me!  And don't get me started on putting your mouth around drinks cans... :laugh:  (I do realise they were designed long before plastic film lids lol)

30 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Tom, I have to be careful as well with food having been treated for bowel cancer, I'm more sensitive than I use to be. A good test of the fridges efficiency is milk. If you keep it in the fridge, and it keeps fresh right up to it's 'use by' date, and tastes, 'ice cold 'the fridge is working fine. Both times I've had a fridge issue, milk was the primary indicator that things weren't right...

Yeah, I did read that recently...was going to ask if you were given any good bowel tips afterwards but thought better of it at the time. :laugh:  Though after yet another totally sleepless night of unsettledness and this morning feeling like one of those extruder machines for well over an hour trying to leave for Tesco I'm open to any tips...  I've now seen two dieticians where the convo basically went 'I can't stop sh*tting'...and they both totally ignored that, took one look at my BMI and just said 'you need to eat more'...  :ermm:  I'm not an expert here but more in is going to cause more out...like going to the garage with a blown turbo and them just upping the fuel mixture!  :laugh: 

(PS - I can't drink milk :rolleyes: )

6 minutes ago, unofix said:

Maybe all of us here are suffering from a side effect of driving Fords, can we blame them and put a class action law suit in 🤣

I don't think that's the type of emissions those law suits are concerned with! :biggrin: 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Does she know what the acceptable fridge temperature and duration should be during the auto defrost cycle? :biggrin: 

Must admit, I've always wiped tins with anti-bac before opening them...the idea of pushing bacteria through the can in order to open it has always seemed a bit counter productive to me!  And don't get me started on putting your mouth around drinks cans... :laugh:  (I do realise they were designed long before plastic film lids lol)

Yeah, I did read that recently...was going to ask if you were given any good bowel tips afterwards but thought better of it at the time. :laugh:  Though after yet another totally sleepless night of unsettledness and this morning feeling like one of those extruder machines for well over an hour trying to leave for Tesco I'm open to any tips...  I've now seen two dieticians where the convo basically went 'I can't stop sh*tting'...and they both totally ignored that, took one look at my BMI and just said 'you need to eat more'...  :ermm:  I'm not an expert here but more in is going to cause more out...like going to the garage with a blown turbo and them just upping the fuel mixture!  :laugh: 

(PS - I can't drink milk :rolleyes: )

That's a real shame about the milk, can't beat a glass of ice cold, with a square or 2 of dark chocolate! Tom, have you ever been prescribed Loperimide? I take up to 8 (2Mg tabs) per day to control the symptom you describe, as I too often find issues leaving the house till I feel 'comfortable'!

5 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

I take up to 8 (2Mg tabs) per day to control the symptom you describe, as I too often find issues leaving the house till I feel 'comfortable'!

Well this has turned in to an odd conversation but on the subject of 'frequency' if you get my meaning since my last operation its zero output for 3 days and then don't even think of going out the house for the next 24 hours. This all or nothing seems to repeat on a 4 day cycle, not very good and a bit concerning. Doc just gave me some Senor but I don't think thats going to fix the problem.

• Sad 1

32 minutes ago, unofix said:

Well this has turned in to an odd conversation but on the subject of 'frequency' if you get my meaning since my last operation its zero output for 3 days and then don't even think of going out the house for the next 24 hours.

Isn't life odd - I'd give anything to have the certainty of a period of 'zero' output LOL

1 minute ago, StephenFord said:

That's a real shame about the milk, can't beat a glass of ice cold, with a square or 2 of dark chocolate! Tom, have you ever been prescribed Loperimide? I take up to 8 (2Mg tabs) per day to control the symptom you describe, as I too often find issues leaving the house till I feel 'comfortable'!

I can't eat chocolate either... :laugh:  Never have liked chocolate, even as a kid.  It seems to get stuck in my throat..can get just about get away with a few choc chips in a biscuit though.

The list of foods I can eat is now considerably restricted due to my throat, teeth, OCD (trusting food, as in this thread! :rolleyes:) as well as the stomach and bowel problems.  I've had 'digestive' issues for over 15 years but they were reasonably manageable until 2018, then the problems worsened and in turn I reduced portion sizes and have had to cut out many more foods to try and ease it.  (Medical 'pros' keep looking at this the wrong way, and suggesting my issues are caused by the food reduction, instead of the other way round.) 

The biggest issue for me specifically though, is that I'm extremely squeamish (not sure what the medical term for that is!) and my body just gives up from the sound, sight, smell of anything remotely medical or bodily...  Obviously means I can't go into a hospital or dentist...  But also means that everytime I have IBS or nausea symptoms even at home (several times a day now) that in turn triggers severe shock type effects, hot, sweaty, lightheaded, fuzzy vision, tight chest, barely even able to walk between the loo and the chair etc.  This has got worse over the last few years to the point where it only takes a split second of a scene on TV to cause it even...or indeed the slow-mo of a football injury a few games back.  The effects of which are then several days of worse stomach/bowel issues.

With that in mind, I've gone through nearly 30 years not being able to 'try' much due to the risk of it causing any type of illness or injury, which normal people either don't even think of, or consider fairly minor.  That includes medication...  I've never been able to take any...

So I'm now stuck in what seems an impossible loop, where the physical issues are making daily life pretty much unmanageable now.  But I know that the potential (but common) side effects of anxiety medication would be completely unmanageable, so can't risk those which is all the GP is interested in.  Mental health services aren't able to take physical conditions into account, and simply can't understand why I'm unable to stop sh*tting at the precise time for my allotted slot or able to drive and stay out for any length of time with vertigo and nausea symptoms...  I'm also unable to speak much due to throat issues & reflux, which is again a massive barrier, as they will only work with phones or face to face...in this modern tech filled world...  Over the last few months I've contacted various services, charities etc online, trying to find some help for my admittedly unusual predicament...I'm happy to pay privately if needs be...but just keep being told there isn't any help available.

It's incredibly frustrating, because I know the GP doesn't have time to go through 20 years of issues (obviously I never went before, so have barely any medical history for them to refer to) but I can't understand why there is no MH service that can work via email to build up a picture of all of my issues, before then deciding the order in which they can be tackled, and ideally explaining my issues to any medical pros so they get some context before dealing with me directly.  Being able to take medication feels like an end goal of treatment for my situation...instead of the 'first attempt'. 

(Rant over, ha!)

40 minutes ago, unofix said:

Well this has turned in to an odd conversation but on the subject of 'frequency' if you get my meaning since my last operation its zero output for 3 days and then don't even think of going out the house for the next 24 hours. This all or nothing seems to repeat on a 4 day cycle, not very good and a bit concerning. Doc just gave me some Senor but I don't think thats going to fix the problem.

It shouldn't be an odd conversation though.  We should normalise talking about this kind of thing. :smile:  (Well, maybe not with strangers on a public car forum...but still... )

We're you not given any dietary type tips?  Doctors do seem to like pills... :unsure: 

7 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Isn't life odd - I'd give anything to have the certainty of a period of 'zero' output LOL

Zero input would be my ideal...seems to cause as much carnage on the way through as it does at the exit! :laugh: 

6 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

(Rant over, ha!)

Tom buddy, I don't know what to say, that is just so awful, and really life limiting for you. Though I did smile when you said that your GP had hardly any info on you. On my last hospital visit I took a pic of my file! LOL Poor nurse could barely carry it into the room. (And this is just one of the 3 hospitals I attend for various ailments LOL) In the last decade I've had numerous interventions from heart bypasses, to 3 x bouts of cancer (skin & bowel), and far too much to bore you here with! People usually joke, 'well, at least you have your health', which until a while back, I did, but you don't half miss it when it deteriorates.

I can't imagine living with the symptoms you have, especially food, as I love to both eat & cook! There are some things that do set me off, but if I know I have nowhere to go the next day, I'll risk them! I was thinking too of the limitations you have of the medical profession, I have numerous appointments for various things so I'm very lucky that I just grin & bear them without any issue.

I suppose your interest in cars provides a limited distraction to the daily drudgery you must live with, like I said at the start, I really don't know what to say...

322241641_medicalfile.thumb.jpg.07b951df50a3049c5a5155bc1e7bb0c8.jpg

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

(Well, maybe not with strangers on a public car forum...but still... )

Hey, we're all Grand Masters here, not strangers! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StephenFord said:

we're all Grand Masters here

I'm only a Cornetto but working towards being a Pleb 😀

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, StephenFord said:

On my last hospital visit I took a pic of my file! LOL Poor nurse could barely carry it into the room.

322241641_medicalfile.thumb.jpg.07b951df50a3049c5a5155bc1e7bb0c8.jpg

Keep that safe, the next owner will be grateful of a service history like that! :biggrin:

I must admit, even the car interest is waning considerably now...hence the jigsaw and the football bets etc...  Even bought a Lego on offer in Tesco today...though admittedly it was a Lego Audi Quattro! :laugh:

• Haha 2

Back on topic... :whistling:🤭

Has anyone got a 'low frost' model?  I think they have freezer coils in the back/walls so the drawers don't get jammed but only need manually defrosting once a year...seems more my kinda thing.  Looks like this one is made by both Candy and Hoover, and has a proper temp setting for the fridge...  (Just slightly worried a Hoover fridge might suck up all the food... :biggrin: )

https://www.jdwilliams.co.uk/shop/candy-cmcl5172wk-55cm-fridge-freezer-white/

https://www.ertonline.co.uk/products/hoover-introduces-new-low-frost-technology-fridge-freezers/

Can't find any at a local shop to view properly though...  

Has anyone bought any current model fridge freezer recently that manages to keep food consistently cold and frozen respectively?  

Stock seems to be low for most appliances (chip shortages?) and reviews suggest that they're all crap in one way or another.

How hard can it be to make a fridge!? :rolleyes: :laugh:

Not sure if anyone's interested but I have managed to find some info on adaptive defrost - page 8 of this manual.  Seems to suggest that rising to -5c is acceptable during the defrost phase for that model at least. :g: No mention of how warm the fridge might get though. 

gefridge1.pdf (applianceaid.com)