Do Not Sell My Personal Information

fiesta mk8 1.0 ecoboost cold start warmup necessary ?

Eng_Ahmad1986

hello to all 🙂 

mine is 2019 mk8 ecoboost 100ps auto.

for 2 years since I owned the car I have always allowed it to idle (specially in cold weather) after a cold start until the RPM drops under 1000, this takes about 1 minute, I've always thought that this is a good practice to let the oil to circulate smoothly inside the engine and through the turbocharger, and to allow the engine to enter the closed loop status before I start moving.

However , in the owners manual , the ( economical driving ) section it clearly states the following :

• Avoid idling the engine in cold weather or for extended periods. Start the engine only when you are ready to set off.

This is confusing !! what is the best practice in your opinion 🙂 

lets discuss this issue 🙂 

I suspect the current advice is more to do with emissions. You can already be fined for letting a vehicle idle under certain conditions here in the UK, and there are moves to tighten this up further. Current position:

Can I get a fine for idling?

The issue of engines not being switched off when vehicles are parked is, unbeknownst to many, already an offence.

Rule 123 of The Highway Code looks at ‘The Driver and the Environment’, stating that drivers must not leave a parked vehicle unattended with the engine running or leave a vehicle engine running unnecessarily while that vehicle is stationary on a public road.

Local authorities have the power to issue £20 fixed penalties for emission offences and stationary idling under The Road Traffic (Vehicle Emissions) (Fixed Penalty) (England) Regulations 2002.

However, it is important to note that this is imposed only if a motorist refuses to switch off their engine off when asked to do so by an authorised person.

That said, I've always driven off straight away after starting anyway.

• Like 1

I always let it drop to 1000 rpm, I’ve noticed if I don’t and set off it bounces like a kangaroo due to the high rpm 😂

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Eng_Ahmad1986 said:

hello to all 🙂 

mine is 2019 mk8 ecoboost 100ps auto.

for 2 years since I owned the car I have always allowed it to idle (specially in cold weather) after a cold start until the RPM drops under 1000, this takes about 1 minute, I've always thought that this is a good practice to let the oil to circulate smoothly inside the engine and through the turbocharger, and to allow the engine to enter the closed loop status before I start moving.

However , in the owners manual , the ( economical driving ) section it clearly states the following :

• Avoid idling the engine in cold weather or for extended periods. Start the engine only when you are ready to set off.

This is confusing !! what is the best practice in your opinion 🙂 

lets discuss this issue 🙂 

Just drive gently for the first few miles.

• Like 1

I have the engine ticking over on cold frosty mornings whilst the heated front and rear windows clear the ice and also make sure all my lights and mirrors are clear prior to setting off as personally that is more important than fretting about PC brigade issuing fines for idling on a public road.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tiexen said:

Just drive gently for the first few miles.

I have always been told to drive gently until the oil warms up. I sometimes use "Eco mode" to assist doing this. Some cars (our Fabia does) have a oil temp display you can choose on the dash.

• Like 2

Start car and drive off when you’re ready, best way to warm the engine is to drive, it’s perfectly able to be driven normally and it’s not like you’re setting off on a qualifying lap of silverstone. This and running in procedure end up with so many old wives tales and paranoia.

• Like 3

Cold oil is thicker, cold parts are tighter, and idling produces the lowest amount of oil pressure and heat.  Much better to drive off immediately to get the oil circulating under more pressure and (especially for diesels) get it warmed up/thinned as soon as possible.

As mentioned in another thread recently, drive gently until warm, but drive off immediately.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jim H said:

Some cars (our Fabia does) have a oil temp display you can choose on the dash.

Yes, that's a very useful feature often found on VW Group cars. I knew oil takes longer to warm up, but the first time I had a car with a display I still found it surprising how long it takes for the oil to reach temperature - long after the water temperature gauge shows "normal".

• Like 2

Much of the “drive off straightaway” is related to minimising emissions.

On a cold frosty morning I’ll start my car, pop the heated front and rear screens on, then go about cleaning the side windows, then if needed front and rear windows before getting back in and driving off.

In more milder times I will get in the car, start the engine and it’s then running while I put my seatbelt on, set up my Sat-Nav, get comfortable and then drive off. 

In my mind, for mechanical sympathy is good to let a cold engine settle down, it only takes seconds, before driving off gently.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Yes, that's a very useful feature often found on VW Group cars. I knew oil takes longer to warm up, but the first time I had a car with a display I still found it surprising how long it takes for the oil to reach temperature - long after the water temperature gauge shows "normal".

When traffic is light I can do a 20 minute town drive without the oil temp even registering in the TDI! :unsure:  

It's a shame more manufacturers don't fit oil temp displays.  The MHEV feels very warm after just a few minutes idling (as I found out reaching for the dipstick and accidentally touching the head lol) but no oil temp display even on the digi dash.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

When traffic is light I can do a 20 minute town drive without the oil temp even registering in the TDI! :unsure:  

Yes, my petrol Leon would cover miles before the oil temp began to register, even in high ambient temperatures. (No chance of high ambient temperatures here today though - pouring down and very cold. But it is a Bank Holiday of course!😀)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Rule 123 of The Highway Code looks at ‘The Driver and the Environment’, stating that drivers must not leave a parked vehicle unattended with the engine running or leave a vehicle engine running unnecessarily while that vehicle is stationary on a public road.

It is actually an offence under S42 RTA 1988 to leave a parked vehicle unattended with the engine running.   

• Like 2

Did anyone mention leaving the car unattended? They may not have the same rules in the country he lives. 

Use a bit of common sense, you don’t have to move as soon as you start the engine, there will always be things you need to do first, seat belts, clearing the screen, setting the sat nav etc etc but, you don’t need to sit there till the engines red hot.

Start the car do what you need to do and get on with your day.

• Like 1

I start and use mine from cold but always take it easy until its upto temp. The only time I idle my car is when there is snow on it as the heated screen needs the engine running to operate properly.

• Like 1

well I just use the remote start app on Ford Pass app and let the car warm up in winter or to cool down in summer so as Goldilocks says "its just right" 😁. I assume thats the purpose of the remote start ?

• Like 1

thank you all for considering 🙂 

it seems that opinions are somehow divided 😄 

Here in Egypt idling the car is not prohibited by law, however leaving the car unattended while engine running is prohibited, besides that who would leave his car running and unattended unless he wants it to be stolen 😄 

any way I was just asking about that 1 minute idle after a cold start is it necessary ? harmful ? or good practice ? 

based on your opinions I guess that its better to give it only 1 minute after a cold start , until RPM drops to 1000 , to allow oil to thoroughly circulate through the engine and the turbocharger, and to allow the engine to enter the closed loop, all it takes is 1 minute, not a big deal right ? and then start moving and drive gently until the optimum operating temperature is reached. any way I usually do this to fasten the seatbelt, clean the windscreen, and check that everything is OK. 

I guess I'll go on with this practice 🙂 

really I wish to thank all of you for considering 🙂 its beautiful to have friends overseas to talk and share experience 🙂 thank you 🙂 

• Like 3

It takes longer than a minute to press all the damn "OK" buttons of off the dashboard and the infotainment screen 😂

• Haha 5

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club