Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sync 1 to Sync 3 adaptor harness issues

MDG950

I'm aware there are a number of sources for these adaptor harnesses. Aliexpess seems littered with them. The problem I have with them (Not having bought one myself however) is they don't seem to have the correct connectors for the European fascia panels. For example:

H071ab822a03049f6904103a17f2e2aedi.jpg

This one from Aliexpress would seem to have no connection adaptor to the front fascia which you'd absolutely need when going from sync 1 to 3 because the front panel talks to the radio in a completely different way. Also as far as I can tell there is no need for the male Radio harness connector. All the signals from the ACM accessory port go straight to the APIM. Another connector the Sync 1 FCDIM is missing, this is how the steering wheel remote signals get to the APIM. Another one here does seem to have all the required connections despite calling out support for Ford Focus '12 to '18. Unless I'm missing something these harnesses won't work without further modification and are certainly not plug and play as advertised.

Does anyone have any feedback from using the Aliexpress harnesses that they could share?

I want to ask what interest (if any) there would be for me to offer these harnesses (with the correct connectors) and tried and tested on European Focuses? I've already ordered a fair amount of the kit to make two of them and I'd be happy to explain the detail of how to put these harnesses together in due course (ie once I know it works!) 

£119.65 | Bestycar 4" to 8" PNP Conversion Power Harness Fit for Ford SYNC 1 SYNC 2 to SYNC 3 Upgrade Kit w/4pin Connector USB Media HUB https://a.aliexpress.com/_mKkMhMZ

This is the correct one which I bought. 

4 hours ago, DaSingh said:

£119.65 | Bestycar 4" to 8" PNP Conversion Power Harness Fit for Ford SYNC 1 SYNC 2 to SYNC 3 Upgrade Kit w/4pin Connector USB Media HUB https://a.aliexpress.com/_mKkMhMZ

This is the correct one which I bought. 

Thank you for this, I'll study this against the wiring diagrams tonight.

image.thumb.png.e0e5f87e47185cf2d7ddb9863ac3e649.png

Do you recall where those loose wires go? Expensive isn't it? So far I'm thinking they should cost no more than ~£50-60. I see you had the issue with the pre-made looms as well?

Yes but this was the correct one and they sent instructions on where to put them pins. Super easy and worked first time. 

• 4 months later...

Hi there, just seen this thread and wondering did you end up getting that recommended harness or did you buy a different one. I have a 2016 sync 1 ford focus and I'm looking to find the best harness for the sync 3 upgrade. Any advice?

5 hours ago, M_Hayes said:

Hi there, just seen this thread and wondering did you end up getting that recommended harness or did you buy a different one. I have a 2016 sync 1 ford focus and I'm looking to find the best harness for the sync 3 upgrade. Any advice?

i make my own harness to go from sync1 to sync3, give us a pm bud.
the ones on aliexpress seems to be full of issues as they send the wrong ones or made for different types of ford cars

• 1 month later...

Here is my first attempt at documenting my work on the harnesses so far. I've gone through several prototypes but this one seems to be the best solution to me. It's designed as a universal plug and play harness for Sync 1 to Sync 2 and 3 upgrades however I still need to document the media hub power adaptors and the Sync 2 MS-CAN connection (I'm thinking of tapping into the IPC connector to take the MS CAN signals to make it work with both auto and manual HVAC systems). I think it's a good start. Take a look and see what you think.

On a separate note, does anyone know if all Focuses fitted with Sync 1 have the 6 pin GPSM plug present behind the rear view mirror? 

(2021-11-02) Unversal Sync Upgrade Harness.pdf

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/2/2021 at 6:25 PM, MDG950 said:

Here is my first attempt at documenting my work on the harnesses so far. I've gone through several prototypes but this one seems to be the best solution to me. It's designed as a universal plug and play harness for Sync 1 to Sync 2 and 3 upgrades however I still need to document the media hub power adaptors and the Sync 2 MS-CAN connection (I'm thinking of tapping into the IPC connector to take the MS CAN signals to make it work with both auto and manual HVAC systems). I think it's a good start. Take a look and see what you think.

On a separate note, does anyone know if all Focuses fitted with Sync 1 have the 6 pin GPSM plug present behind the rear view mirror? 

(2021-11-02) Unversal Sync Upgrade Harness.pdf 783.29 kB · 13 downloads

Nice work on this! 

Is this intended for mk3 focuses to upgrade to sync 3 or for use across multiple vehicles? 

From reading other forums it seems that getting hs/ms cann lines needs to be done by splicing into the odb2 port. I see the above pdf gets some of them from the 54 pin connector, and not obd2. Does this work? 

Also as an aside, does anyone know the part numbers for the male 54 pin connector? Can't seem to find it on the likes of mouser or digikey only aliexpress, which I'd rather not use.

• 2 weeks later...
El 5/4/2021 a las 15:27, DaSingh dijo:

Sí, pero este fue el correcto y enviaron instrucciones sobre dónde ponerlos. Súper fácil y funcionó por primera vez.

Para que versión Ford Focus funciona? Tienes a mano la conexión adicional (cables sueltos)?

On 12/10/2021 at 11:54 AM, Pk2519 said:

hs/ms cann lines needs to be done by splicing into the odb2

Canbus is a data sharing network meaning that any data that joins the network at any point, will be available to be read by any device connected at any point on the network.

It is sometimes easy to connect up to the canbus HS/MS wires at or near the OBDII port, but connecting at any other point will work just as well.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/24/2021 at 9:17 PM, unofix said:

Canbus is a data sharing network meaning that any data that joins the network at any point, will be available to be read by any device connected at any point on the network.

It is sometimes easy to connect up to the canbus HS/MS wires at or near the OBDII port, but connecting at any other point will work just as well.

Interesting, thanks for the explanation! Makes perfect sense 

• 1 year later...
On 5/3/2021 at 4:57 PM, MDG950 said:

I'm aware there are a number of sources for these adaptor harnesses. Aliexpess seems littered with them. The problem I have with them (Not having bought one myself however) is they don't seem to have the correct connectors for the European fascia panels. For example:

H071ab822a03049f6904103a17f2e2aedi.jpg

This one from Aliexpress would seem to have no connection adaptor to the front fascia which you'd absolutely need when going from sync 1 to 3 because the front panel talks to the radio in a completely different way. Also as far as I can tell there is no need for the male Radio harness connector. All the signals from the ACM accessory port go straight to the APIM. Another connector the Sync 1 FCDIM is missing, this is how the steering wheel remote signals get to the APIM. Another one here does seem to have all the required connections despite calling out support for Ford Focus '12 to '18. Unless I'm missing something these harnesses won't work without further modification and are certainly not plug and play as advertised.

Does anyone have any feedback from using the Aliexpress harnesses that they could share?

I want to ask what interest (if any) there would be for me to offer these harnesses (with the correct connectors) and tried and tested on European Focuses? I've already ordered a fair amount of the kit to make two of them and I'd be happy to explain the detail of how to put these harnesses together in due course (ie once I know it works!) 

I need one to convert sync 1 to sync 2 focus 4 to8 screen 

got all the other bits but need harness one I ordered only some bits work! …:(if you could give me a price would appreciate it best regards 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club