Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Limited transmission function

Booma

So I’ve had my edge for around 5 months now. It’s done 23k miles. Now when driving it’ll jump for 6th to 5th and display a limited transmission function warning. This leaves me with 1st, 3rd, and 5th gears which isn’t ideal. 

Ford have replaced sensors, and it is still happening, anyone else having/had similar problems? 

7 hours ago, Booma said:

Ford have replaced sensors, and it is still happening, anyone else having/had similar problems? 

I'm presuming you have an Auto! Sounds like you've lost half the gear box (the even half!). Do you know what the associated fault codes (DTC's) that accompanied the issue? If started out intermittent, that could be a sensor, wiring or a setup that is borderline in terms of the sensor reading. There are also actuators in the gearbox for controlling the clutches and gear selections, they too could be the issue. A DTC code will be logged for open/shorted sensors, open circuit actuators, sensors reading out of 'normal' range or actuations that just take too long due to stiction or mechanical restrictions. So diagnostics is a big key here.

Hi Simon,

thanks for the reply, I’ve had it into Ford numerous times. It went into fault 7 times on a two hour journey today (plus twice this morning) Ford have replaced sensors, but it only seems to have made the problem worse! 

back in to Ford tomorrow, although I’d rather just put it in a skip!

10 minutes ago, Booma said:

I’ve had it into Ford numerous times.

Sadly, ever since the Edge was introduced into the UK, the technical knowledge of the car in a lot of Ford dealers has been very poor. If you know someone with an OBDII reader or have a cheap one yourself, posting the DTC's on this forum may get you some answers and info you could throw at your dealer to help them out, because it sound like they are just changing things for the sake of changing rather than actually figuring out the root of the problem! Don't give up on the car, they are great (had mine since Dec 2016), it's the dealers (well, some of them) that should be confined to a skip. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, simonb65 said:

Sadly, ever since the Edge was introduced into the UK, the technical knowledge of the car in a lot of Ford dealers has been very poor. If you know someone with an OBDII reader or have a cheap one yourself, posting the DTC's on this forum may get you some answers and info you could throw at your dealer to help them out, because it sound like they are just changing things for the sake of changing rather than actually figuring out the root of the problem! Don't give up on the car, they are great (had mine since Dec 2016), it's the dealers (well, some of them) that should be confined to a skip. 

Hi All

Have to agree with @simonb65 as to dealership knowledge. Had my Edge since Aug 2016, and apart from other issues it took Fmc 4. 5 years to sort out TPMS issue (after talking to customer care centre). Also took just under 4 years and two separate dealerships to sort out AutoRelock (not to be confused with AutoLock).

Have you tried another dealership  or contacted customer care centre. 

Since all my probs now sorted, I still rate Edge highly. 

Happy motoring. 

Stay safe

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Latest update, Ford are replacing the entire gearbox. So we will see what happens!

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

Hi Booma and gang,

so I've recently just purchased my edge 16 plate sport powershift. (a week ago) and I'm getting EXACTLY the same issue. 

I've taken it back to ford who ran a diagnostic and couldn't find any saved fault even though it's happened a couple of times. Im dumbfounded. 

I understand that I could send it back to the dealer for a refund however... my Mrs loves it and would rather them pay for a fix.
So my question is, has this problem been solved yet and what was the specifics in regards to the problem. 

Any reply would be appreciated. 

spencer 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club