Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Transmission Limited Function

Martyitus

Hey all, I’ve just received this error on my car, so I changed the ATF fluid, it drives fine but eventually goes back into limp mode. I get the error P0700 Transmission Control System. 

It can’t be the clutch if it can still function for a while? Could it be the transmission module? 

Ford Focus 2012 Diesel Powershift 

Check all the wiring from/to the TCM, I have heard you can get broken wires. Failing that it may be a fault with the TCM, check your car is not eligible for a recall first.

Is that the only error code you are getting?

https://www.700r4transmissionhq.com/p0700-ford-focus/

2 hours ago, DaveT70 said:

Check all the wiring from/to the TCM, I have heard you can get broken wires. Failing that it may be a fault with the TCM, check your car is not eligible for a recall first.

Is that the only error code you are getting?

https://www.700r4transmissionhq.com/p0700-ford-focus/

No recall unfortunately. I will have a look, today it has been slightly ok and it changed gear at a normal rpm, still the odd back and forth shudder in low rpm. 

yeah that’s the only error code it comes up with 

Perhaps you need a software update of both the PCM and TCM and then perform an adaptive learning procedure to reset the clutches.

Adaptive learning is much more complicated on the DPS6 Transmission, I know how to do it on Torque converters but not Powershifts.

Some research on google/you tube may help, before you start spending serious money.

I'm sure most DPS6 equipped cars have a free extended warranty (that they only tell you about if you ask - NOT A DEALER), phone Ford CRC with your VIN and see if you are covered, at least the software updates might be

Are you even sure that code is related to the fault? I had my Focus say it was in limp mode and power steering had failed. Turned out to be a known issue with the solder being leadless on the back of the instrument cluster. The solder ends up cracking and causing intermittent issues with the whole instrument cluster.

On 5/5/2021 at 12:31 PM, DaveT70 said:

Perhaps you need a software update of both the PCM and TCM and then perform an adaptive learning procedure to reset the clutches.

Adaptive learning is much more complicated on the DPS6 Transmission, I know how to do it on Torque converters but not Powershifts.

Some research on google/you tube may help, before you start spending serious money.

I'm sure most DPS6 equipped cars have a free extended warranty (that they only tell you about if you ask - NOT A DEALER), phone Ford CRC with your VIN and see if you are covered, at least the software updates might be

Possibly, it doesn’t always go limp but I’ve noticed an intake leak and the rev counter bounces slightly up and down when driving and at idle after a drive. Yesterday nothing happened at all but today it did it again. 

could these faults cause the transmission to act up?

On 5/5/2021 at 11:56 PM, stevejwalford said:

Are you even sure that code is related to the fault? I had my Focus say it was in limp mode and power steering had failed. Turned out to be a known issue with the solder being leadless on the back of the instrument cluster. The solder ends up cracking and causing intermittent issues with the whole instrument cluster.

Not sure, going to get my friend to use Forscan for me and find out exactly what it is

16 hours ago, Martyitus said:

Not sure, going to get my friend to use Forscan for me and find out exactly what it is

Yes, get a list of all the stored codes. I reckon it needs an update and a relearn TBH. Remember to tread lightly with it as the dry clutches are temperamental, never hold the car on the clutches on hills, or putting the handbrake on whilst in D, always fully press the brake pedal as this disengages the clutches.

Have a look at this, on Forscan. A relearn procedure is possible, but it looks as though people have had issues with it, especially if you have a cheap lead. Maybe you could pay Ford to plug in and update software and do a relearn for you and it might improve. But, like I said, the updates may be covered by Ford, phone CRC and ask them before you spend any money, a dealer won't tell you.

https://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1672

I've just read again and noticed you're diesel and not Petrol, so no dry clutch issues. And you're a 450 not a 250 so I believe you can't do the relearn procedure.

It'll definitely be software. 

• 1 month later...

I'm just going through the same thing now. I have a 2012 Ford Mondeo TDCi Station Wagon. There are various posts on the internet regarding this issue going back to at least November 2014. It appears to be linked to the DCT450 Powershift Transmission. One good site I have found is www.eco-torque.co.uk/post/fordpowershift , other sites suggest it might be linked to a faulty EGR valve (we did have problems with that a year or so ago and was told it was a particle issue as we live on a dirt road). That was fixed but what you are describing happened to us in March this year (Ford dealer did tests and reprogrammed the ECU) and then it happened again two days ago (as I was doing 110 kph on the freeway). I found this conversation while googling.

Sorry, that should have been 2013 model

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club