Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hoover/Wind noise coming from engine + Dodgy Ford Focus

issybucko

Hey,

I've recently bought a second hand Ford Focus, 2006, LX, 1.8 TDCI, with only 60,300 miles on it, for £1,150.

I thought it was a bargain, but after I took it home it started making this hoover/wind noise when it got to over 2000 revs, as if there was some kind of split or hole in some of the engine piping. I figured I'd keep the car and not take it back (regrets haha), and take it to the garage for a general inspection and to look at what that noise is. 

They did loads of tests to try and find a hole but couldn't find anything, and said that they're 75% sure that it's coming from the turbo internally, and they'd suggest a new turbo. 

However, with the other things they found: Large oil leak, Exhaust rear hanger broken, N/S/F coil spring broken, Arm bushes unbonded, Front tyres replacement, + Cambelt change (no record of it ever being changed)......

They quoted £1,800 to do all that work (with £900 just for the turbo replacement), and recommended trying to get rid of the car instead of doing it. They said they could replace the turbo but as they're not 100%, the noise could still be there and the work would be pointless. So while the turbo is still working, they recommended selling it on. Really frustrating because I don't have the money to fix this and feel a bit scammed, and also don't want to scam someone else into a dodgy car.

Anyway, my question is, has anyone else had this hoover/wind noise come from their focus? Should I be worried about it or should I try and fix it? Or should I try and sell it on to a garage and cut my losses?

Thanks for your help,

Issy

• Sad 1

Normally it's a split hose not always easy to find as the sometimes only open up with pressure, mix up a solution of washing up liquid and water spray it on the hoses and it will bubble up where the leak is obviously the engine has to be running

5 minutes ago, pragmatix said:

Normally it's a split hose not always easy to find as the sometimes only open up with pressure, mix up a solution of washing up liquid and water spray it on the hoses and it will bubble up where the leak is obviously the engine has to be running

Cheers for this. The garage said that they ran a smoke test, pumping smoke through the pipes to see if smokes escapes but they didn't find anything, so it seems that a split hose is ruled out for this one. I might still give this a try though to see if the garage did the job right.

3 hours ago, issybucko said:

Cheers for this. The garage said that they ran a smoke test, pumping smoke through the pipes to see if smokes escapes but they didn't find anything, so it seems that a split hose is ruled out for this one. I might still give this a try though to see if the garage did the job right.

I'm not sure how her would do that  smoke isn't going to get anywhere near the pressure in the pipes, the likely culprit is the large one connected to the turbo.

how much MOT is left? Obviously its going to fail on everything plus maybe more which they havent noticed yet.

You won't sell it to a garage for any more than scrap value I'm afraid.  I assume it was bought privately?

All except the turbo issue would be fairly normal for a 10+ year old Mk2 Focus so you risk getting another just as bad on the same budget.  It's a difficult situation if you can't do the work yourself.  Might be better off spending more on something newer - and making sure things like the cambelt have already been done on any potential purchase.

Best bet is selling it on privately, stick it on Gumtree or Facebook Marketplace for free.  Then eBay auction if you don't get any takers.  Personally I'd list the main faults so people are aware, but that's your own moral dilemma. 

Sadly none of us can confirm what the turbo fault is, or if a new turbo would cure it, it would be most cost effective to drive it until the problem gets worse and can be proved.  Not good if you're a worrier though, I'd definitely move it on myself! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

You won't sell it to a garage for any more than scrap value I'm afraid.  I assume it was bought privately?

All except the turbo issue would be fairly normal for a 10+ year old Mk2 Focus so you risk getting another just as bad on the same budget.  It's a difficult situation if you can't do the work yourself.  Might be better off spending more on something newer - and making sure things like the cambelt have already been done on any potential purchase.

Best bet is selling it on privately, stick it on Gumtree or Facebook Marketplace for free.  Then eBay auction if you don't get any takers.  Personally I'd list the main faults so people are aware, but that's your own moral dilemma. 

Sadly none of us can confirm what the turbo fault is, or if a new turbo would cure it, it would be most cost effective to drive it until the problem gets worse and can be proved.  Not good if you're a worrier though, I'd definitely move it on myself! 

Exactly this. Hence why I was wondering how much MOT is left. If its only a few months then maybe just drive it into the ground and save up for something else. If its running ok then might do the job for the time being. Just dont go on tour with it :-).

• Like 1

Turn the radio up. 

My focus whistles/ hoover/ wind noise from under the bonnet. 

Because the air filter isn't seated properly in the airbox!

One of the few weaknesses in this engine is the factory fitted rubber hose highlighted in the image.  A silicone replacement can be source cheaply off eBay that will outlast the car, over time the rubber hardens due to the heat in the engine bay and eventually develops a hairline fracture on the underside.  The split is almost impossible to see (partly because the underside of the hose will probably be covered in oily gunge), it's easy enough to check.  Just put your hand underneath the house and get someone to rev the engine to about 3500 RPM to built a bit of boost.  If the there's a crack, you'll be able to feel it blowing on your hand.  (If you do this when the engine is already warm it makes it even easier to feel because any air escaping through the hose will be nice and easy to feel because it'll be nice a toasty!

image.thumb.png.139126a4316cb32d3ff8d409e0952023.png

• Like 1