Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Slow accelerate, high revs problem. Ford Fiesta (Mk6) '07

jrobinson

Hi all,

I'm having a really issue of late that I hope one of you guys may be able to help with.  For well over a month, my Fiesta has been having real problems accelerating.  Getting up to 20-30mph doesn't seem too much of a problem but getting beyond that can take a while.  Going up hill can be a nightmare. Fuel consumption seems to be suffering too.

When I accelerate up to speed, the revs go up instantly but it take a moment before the speed shows any sign of increasing.  Once up to speed, I can stay there until I brake.

As a bit of background, the problem started with erratic idling and cutting out when I pressed the clutch in at junctions or roundabouts. I seemed to have fixed this but then it would idle high (1500rpm). 

I tried a few solutions and all other issues seem to sorted.  I'm just left with no acceleration.

Some of things I have done to try and sort the problems in the last month are: 

• New fuel filter
  • New air filter
  • Redex in fuel
  • Removed and thoroughly cleaned the throttle body
  • New crankcase ventilation hose (original had a 50mm break in it)
  • Cleaned the MAF sensor
  • General look for air leak.

Hope you guys can help because, being a novice, I'm stumped!

Thanks

J. 

The acceleration problem sounds very much like the clutch is slipping to me. The high idle could be a number of things.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Blatto said:

The acceleration problem sounds very much like the clutch is slipping to me. The high idle could be a number of things.

Thanks for the reply. Is there a way that you know of to test if it is the clutch? 

I think I may have fixed the high idle situation now so that's something! Haha

16 minutes ago, jrobinson said:

Thanks for the reply. Is there a way that you know of to test if it is the clutch? 

I think I may have fixed the high idle situation now so that's something! Haha

Handbrake on and try to move off in 2nd or 3rd if it stalls all is well but if the fees rise and you don't move your clutch is knackered, but your description does sound like a duff clutch.

• Like 3

As suspected, I just tried to move off in 3rd and no stall.  Looks like a new clutch is needed.  Probs not going to be a cheap fix but at least I know what the problem is for certain now.  Thank you both for your help.  I appreciate it.

J.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club