Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk8 wing mirror

Dirtyburty

Wife's 2019 fiesta wing mirror has fallen off while she was putting them in on a busy road. Had a look at it and looks like it's sheared off from where it retracts. Has a metal clip on the inside that is loose and think this is supposed to be attached to where the mirror mounts. Spoke to Evans Halshaw as seems like a defect but they claim that this wouldn't be covered under warranty and wouldn't even look at it. 

She's wrapped a bit of ducked tape around it for the time being.

Has anyone had anything like this? Wondering wether to phone ford directly and see what they say about it.

16204143627594558117539200328644.jpg

We have had 3 x Mk8's now and none of the wing mirrors have dropped off.

Ford will usually only take advice from the dealership on issues with cars. It is unusual the dealer will not look at it and if it is a fault would have to cover it under warranty.

I can only think that they think it has been damaged rather than it being faulty.

24 minutes ago, Mavroz said:

We have had 3 x Mk8's now and none of the wing mirrors have dropped off.

Ford will usually only take advice from the dealership on issues with cars. It is unusual the dealer will not look at it and if it is a fault would have to cover it under warranty.

I can only think that they think it has been damaged rather than it being faulty.

Asked the missus the same thing. If maybe it has been knocked in some way. She says it was fine and she has been folding them back every day. When she folded it back today it came off in her hands. Hasn't knocked it in any other way.

• Like 1

I take it these are not power folding mirrors and she has been manually folding them and unfolding as she uses the car ?  If so, there is a chance she has forced something that has popped out of place or sheared.  I don’t suppose Ford would be interested unless you could prove it was defective and not user error. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Edge of Reason said:

I take it these are not power folding mirrors and she has been manually folding them and unfolding as she uses the car ?  If so, there is a chance she has forced something that has popped out of place or sheared.  I don’t suppose Ford would be interested unless you could prove it was defective and not user error. 

Good point, I didn't realise that they could be manual mirrors.

If this is anything like my Mrs, certain things "Just Happen" for no apparent reason.... 😆 always a mystery!

• Haha 1

We can't see anything through the duct tape unfortunately.  If you can get a pic with it removed, we should be able to see what has broken and if there's an obvious fault anywhere.

It's possible that another car has hit it in a carpark and pushed it backwards, then the driver pushed it back into place, so your wife would be none the wiser.  Next time she went to fold it, it was on it's last legs...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

We can't see anything through the duct tape unfortunately.  If you can get a pic with it removed, we should be able to see what has broken and if there's an obvious fault anywhere.

It's possible that another car has hit it in a carpark and pushed it backwards, then the driver pushed it back into place, so your wife would be none the wiser.  Next time she went to fold it, it was on it's last legs...

Will get a pic but ran out of tape at minute 😄. They are manual mirrors. Wife took it down To local garage and he said it was odd and that it looked like the plastic had worn away and no where to connect it to. He said it had no sign of damage.

If I don't get anywhere with ford are these easy to fit?

16 hours ago, Edge of Reason said:

She does use them daily but you would have thought they are made for this and wouldn't just break on a 2019 car. I have a 2019 focus and the bonnet catch broke and they covered this under warranty. Just wondering what the difference is?

The lady on the phone when I spoke with them didn't have an answer when I told her this. To not even look at it is ***** poor customer service .

I would say that mirrors that don’t power fold, are not designed to be folded every day. Yes they will fold if you have to do so occasionally, but if you have tried it, you will feel there is quite a bit of resistance and the continual folding and unfolding will cause wear on the moving parts. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Edge of Reason said:

I would say that mirrors that don’t power fold, are not designed to be folded every day.

A while since I've had them, but I've always been a bit wary of folding manual mirrors, only doing it when I thought leaving them out was particularly risky.

However, there's nothing in the Fiesta owners manual advising caution or limiting the number of times you can fold them, so they ought to be up to the job. Would have expected that to be covered by warranty if they can't show any evidence of damage or abuse. 

22 hours ago, Dirtyburty said:

Wondering wether to phone ford directly and see what they say about it.

Is there another dealer nearby you could try who might be more helpful? Can't see any harm in raising it with Ford CRC, though.

1 hour ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

A while since I've had them, but I've always been a bit wary of folding manual mirrors, only doing it when I thought leaving them out was particularly risky.

However, there's nothing in the Fiesta owners manual advising caution or limiting the number of times you can fold them, so they ought to be up to the job. Would have expected that to be covered by warranty if they can't show any evidence of damage or abuse. 

Is there another dealer nearby you could try who might be more helpful? Can't see any harm in raising it with Ford CRC, though.

Missus contacted Ford directly today. Being weekend the department she needs is shut but said she would get a call back on Monday. Honestly the thing that pisses me off the most is that the dealer won't even look at it. The wife only puts these in on busy streets etc. These things should be made to stand up to the demands. If they had been powered windows be would they be covered?

3 minutes ago, Dirtyburty said:

If they had been powered windows be would they be covered?

Lol presume you meant mirrors but powered or otherwise if it's a manufacturing fault within warranty period it ought to be covered. Initial problem seems to be with the dealers refusal to look at it so let's hope you get some sense from Ford themselves.

• Thanks 1

Good luck, it isn't easy...I feel it will come down to the assessing dealer saying that the mirror has been damaged and the customer (yourself) saying it hasn't.

It is very strange the dealership refuse to even look at the mirror, I have never heard of anything like this before. 

If you purchased the car from the EH dealership, service there etc, they may offer such thing as a discounted supply and fit of a new mirror.....

I seriously doubt Ford Customer Relations will sanction anything without a dealership inspection, report and opinion as to whether the mirror has been damaged or is in fact faulty.

Without several other instances of this similar issue, Ford will probably deem that the mirrors are up to the demand of folding them in when necessary due to the volume of cars sold with them on. 

If they were power fold mirrors and they were faulty, they would be covered under warranty however, if they were damaged, they would not. This will be the same for manual mirrors also, it would make no difference.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Mavroz said:

Good luck, it isn't easy...I feel it will come down to the assessing dealer saying that the mirror has been damaged and the customer (yourself) saying it hasn't.

It is very strange the dealership refuse to even look at the mirror, I have never heard of anything like this before. 

If you purchased the car from the EH dealership, service there etc, they may offer such thing as a discounted supply and fit of a new mirror.....

I seriously doubt Ford Customer Relations will sanction anything without a dealership inspection, report and opinion as to whether the mirror has been damaged or is in fact faulty.

Without several other instances of this similar issue, Ford will probably deem that the mirrors are up to the demand of folding them in when necessary due to the volume of cars sold with them on. 

If they were power fold mirrors and they were faulty, they would be covered under warranty however, if they were damaged, they would not. This will be the same for manual mirrors also, it would make no difference.

Thanks Mavroz. The lady in the service department went to ask her supervisor whilst I was on the phone. She claimed that anything that had sheered off or fallen off would not be covered and they wouldn't even look at it. Seems a bit odd to me also. What would be the harm in looking. Will wait on ford and then see what the options are. 

2 hours ago, Mavroz said:

It certainly is. I've spent a fair amount of time over the years arguing the toss with service departments over whether something would be covered or not, but can't recall anyone refusing to even take a look.

I too am of the opinion that non-powered mirrors are not designed to be folded in regularly . The design is so they don’t snap straight off if accidentally hit now and then. And to reduce injury to pedestrians if hit by the car. Not for being folded in by the driver everyday. I expect some people will disagree.

1 hour ago, Dirtyburty said:

She claimed that anything that had sheered off or fallen off would not be covered and they wouldn't even look at it.

I think that a court may feel different about what would be covered if for example the wheel fell off while going round a corner !!

Sounds to be like you need to go to a different dealer, one that can actually give a damm and not just try and avoid doing some work

16 hours ago, Dirtyburty said:

She does use them daily but you would have thought they are made for this and wouldn't just break on a 2019 car. I have a 2019 focus and the bonnet catch broke and they covered this under warranty. Just wondering what the difference is?

More proof that Ford build quality is awful nowadays when basic things don't even last the warranty period.

I agree with the others that manual mirrors aren't designed to be folded at the same rate as powerfold mirrors, but I do know people that fold them every day for garages or on-street parking and they haven't worn out that quickly (none Mk8s though).

This probably does count as wear and tear rather than a manufacturing defect, which is what the service dep't tried to explain, albeit badly!  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, isetta said:

non-powered mirrors are not designed to be folded in regularly

If that is really the case should they not come with a warning advising owners that they should only be used occasionally and that they will break and fall off if used too often ?

My wife owned a 2001 Galaxy with manual fold mirrors which she had for 10 years. Every night she folded the mirrors in to put it in the garage, and evey morning unfolded them. About once a year when I remembered or if she said they were getting a little stiff, I would give them a spray with 3in1 oil. The Galaxy is still to this day on the road and in every day use as I know the present owner and its fair to say neither mirror has ever broken or fell off.

Maybe that’s the difference. You lubricated them. Perhaps no lubrication makes them brittle or prone to giving way. 

3 hours ago, unofix said:

... I would give them a spray with 3in1 oil.

Lovely to hear of 3 in 1 in use rather than the ubiquitous WD40!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

WD40 is a water dispersant, but folk use it as a lubricant when it isn’t. 3 in 1 oil is a lubricant so far better suited for this purpose. 

3 hours ago, StephenFord said:

I inherited several tins of this when my dad passed away 18 years ago and am still using them. (Dad was the type who, whenever he bought something, bought another as a "spare" - still have a massive stock of filament light bulbs for the same reason!😀)

Interesting that the 3 in 1 brand is now owned by the WD40 people.

• Like 2

Ok, just an update. The wife spoke with ford and they were fantastic on the phone. Manual mirrors are covered under manufacturers warranty if not physically damaged. They should be able to be folded and unfolded and said this shouldn't happen to a 2019 car. Wife has now got it booked in with another garage.

• Like 5

Great news. Well done. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club