Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta won't start -please help

fiestaman21

So, I have a problem with Fiesta 2012. When I turn the ignition key to start it doesnt turn over. So far Ive had it checked out by 2 different mechanics who have had no luck. They replaced the spark plugs, checked the battery, ran diagnostics and nothing showed up, replaced the coil loop and replaced the fuel pump as the pressure was low but still doesnt start consistently. Any clue? Help appreciated as Im down 800+. See video below.

https://youtube.com/shorts/f4KMnaHJsJ8?feature=share

Your video is set to private.

Hi fiestaman, can you confirm which problem it is please? 

Doesn't turn over.

OR

Doesn't start. 

• Like 1

I had something like this happen to my old 2009 Mk7 last year. It had occasionally not been turning over very well on the first turn of the key, and I had assumed it was the starter motor failing. (Car was very high mileage) Anyway, eventually it refused to turn over at all- at home, luckily. I would turn the key, and, nothing. I tested that voltage was getting everywhere it should, and that was fine, and I diagnosed a dead starter. Unfortunately, error codes showed that the control unit had also overloaded as a result. Ouch!

I now drive a Mk8!

12 hours ago, BlueMike2021 said:

I had something like this happen to my old 2009 Mk7 last year. It had occasionally not been turning over very well on the first turn of the key, and I had assumed it was the starter motor failing. (Car was very high mileage) Anyway, eventually it refused to turn over at all- at home, luckily. I would turn the key, and, nothing. I tested that voltage was getting everywhere it should, and that was fine, and I diagnosed a dead starter. Unfortunately, error codes showed that the control unit had also overloaded as a result. Ouch!

I now drive a Mk8!

What was  fix in the end?

Hi fiestaman, so I see from the video it turns over very well and almost starts. 

So let's go down the basic check list. 

(1) have you got a spark at the plugs? 

(2) is there fuel in the cylinders - are the spark plugs wet with petrol? 

If the answer to both the above is yes then it should of course start. No matter how bad it runs if it has fuel and a spark it will start....... Unless ignition timing is badly out. 

Are the plug leads on the right plugs in the correct order? 

Has the timing belt been moved? 

My fix was a reconditioned starter and a new control unit to get the car going again so I could sell it, but now I have seen your video, it clearly isn't the same; yours turns over, and sounds like it almost starts?

So yes, as Unofix says above, check the basics- spark etc.

Not long before my starter problems, I had an ignition coil pack fail on me- they can break down quite suddenly and give a weak or no spark at all- in my case, it totally killed a cylinder. Replacement is very easy. So yes, check for spark.

18 hours ago, unofix said:

Hi fiestaman, so I see from the video it turns over very well and almost starts. 

So let's go down the basic check list. 

(1) have you got a spark at the plugs? 

(2) is there fuel in the cylinders - are the spark plugs wet with petrol? 

If the answer to both the above is yes then it should of course start. No matter how bad it runs if it has fuel and a spark it will start....... Unless ignition timing is badly out. 

Are the plug leads on the right plugs in the correct order? 

Has the timing belt been moved? 

We've had it checked out by two mechanics and i can confirm that:

(1) Spark plugs have been replaced. I'll confirm and come back to you.

(2) Ill need to confirm.

Plug leads are in the correct order. Double checked this myself also.

Mechanics didnt mention touching the timing belt however theres been no previous work on timing belt in months prior to this issue.

Hi John, I noticed you said the plugs had been changed but if you take a plug out of the engine can you see a spark when you try and start the engine?

• 2 weeks later...

Confirmed with mechanic that they can see spark. Any other thoughts would be appreciated

Ok John so you have a spark at all the plugs, did they check them all or just one ?

So next is there any signs of petrol in the cylinders - do the spark plugs have signs of wet petrol on them just after you try and start the car ?

I would like to think the answer to both those questions is yes - let me know and then I can probably work out how to get it started.

On 5/20/2021 at 9:43 PM, unofix said:

Ok John so you have a spark at all the plugs, did they check them all or just one ?

So next is there any signs of petrol in the cylinders - do the spark plugs have signs of wet petrol on them just after you try and start the car ?

I would like to think the answer to both those questions is yes - let me know and then I can probably work out how to get it started.

Both yes according to the mechanic

So if you have a spark at all the plugs and petrol getting to the cylinders then it has to start no matter how bad it runs after starting. 

Follow these instructions exactly:

1 - battery fully charged 

2 - Clutch pedal pressed and held down to the floor. Keep it pressed. 

3 - Accelerator pedal pressed hard down to the floor. Keep it pressed. 

4 - Turn key fully to start engine, keep it turned - engine will start in 20 seconds. 

Let me know how it goes please. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club