Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Door latch broken - no parts available anywhere....

Fridaysniper

Hi all,

I have a lovely green Ford Maverick 2002 with 116,000 miles on the clock. Had a few issues when I bought it but those have all been addressed and the car is a peach. I run it once a week for a 250 mile trip to go diving and it runs like a dream, no problem at all. 

Unfortunately very soon after I bought it some little oik decided to smash the front passenger window to see if he could steal something. There was nothing in the car except a travel mug for coffee which he nabbed (he must really like coffee). Anyway, since then the front passenger door has been a little problematic and wouldn't always lock or unlock with the remote fob. No big deal as I  just locked it by hand when locking the car.

Last weekend the door wouldn't unlock at all. Not from inside, not from outside and not with the remote fob. I figured something had finally given way and because I'm lazy I took it to the mechanic down the road. He eventually managed to get the door open (no doubt swearing a lot in the process) and he has now reported that the door latch is broken (part number 4811432) and he cannot get hold of a spare anywhere. I have looked online and I can find one...in Germany...for almost 300 euro! 

He suggested that he could turn the door into a manual only door (and I'm happy to continue locking and unlocking manually as I have been doing that for the last two years in any case) but he is concerned about what that would mean for the alarm. And in all honesty so am I. Before I started locking and unlocking the door manually the battery would run down within a day or two with the alarm constantly checking to see if the door is locked I suppose. I drove around with a starterpack in the car....

I guess what I'm asking is some reassurance from someone who has experience with car alarms. If I do turn the door into a manual what do I have to do to prevent the alarm from running down the battery constantly? Any ideas before I get an auto electrician to come do his magic?

Uses the door ajar switch in the latch. Pin8 and pin 6 on the the connector for latch.

Screenshot_20210510-203204.png

• Like 1

That's great thanks! Just a thought, if the alarm uses the door ajar switch and the door is closed (but not locked) how will the alarm know the door is locked? Sorry to sound stupid but I have very little experience with car electrics/ electronics and no experience with car alarms. Reason I'm asking daft questions is because before this the alarm would run down the battery in very short order (overnight) because the alarm kept on checking if the door is locked (it wasn't locked but it was closed). As I understand it the door ajar switch tells you if the door is not properly latched but reading between the lines in your post it is also used by the alarm system to ascertain if the door is locked? 

If the latter is the case that would solve my problem. I can just convert the door to manual and lock manually before I set the alarm.

Also, I managed to find a door latch on eBay that has come off a Mazda Tribute of the same vintage (same car really) so hopefully when that arrives everything can be fixed back to normal. Just in case it doesn't fit I would like to have another option...

Yes, I found this in my searches as well yesterday and it even links to the right part! Only problem is the part is in Germany...and it costs 300 euro or thereabouts...and then the import duty (thanks Brexit)...and then they don't deliver to the UK anymore! 

I think I have found the right part second hand on eBay - from a Mazda Tribute - but I guess I'll see when it arrives...

One thing I have found is that bits for this vehicle is relatively easy to source in Europe (especially Germany) but nigh on impossible in the UK. I guess not enough of them were sold here which is a pity because it's actually a good little truck. Almost 20 years old and it was terribly neglected but mechanically all it needed was a new cambelt and a new alternator. Obviously the tires were shot but that's just a regular maintenance item. Suspension, gearbox and engine all surprisingly good for a car that old with over 100,000 miles on the clock.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club