Do Not Sell My Personal Information

12 volt plug

Andyr55

Can anyone confirm if the 12 v socket on mk4 Focus is live without the ignition? I don’t have anything to try it with but was considering a solar trickle charger. 

My battery monitor switches off when I lock the car if I leave it plugged in. Never thought to look if it switches on when I just unlock it though without pressing the ignition button ( Start button).

40 minutes ago, Andyr55 said:

Can anyone confirm if the 12 v socket on mk4 Focus is live without the ignition? I don’t have anything to try it with but was considering a solar trickle charger. 

If your thinking along the same lines as me then you can get them to charge directly via the OBD port.

1 hour ago, Andyr55 said:

My previous car only had an 'ignition controlled' 12v supply, so I added a permanent live 12v socket especially for charging. However, I found a solar trickle charge of very limited use as the battery still use to fail if left for any length of time!

1291216217_GT4powersocket.thumb.jpg.ae2f7d6a5173993c1d8345cc50454ae7.jpg

Had been looking at the AA one the other week.

Some reviews said they had the odd error notification after using it though so was put off by that but it would be a feasible way if topping up the battery whilst its sat in the works carpark for 10 hours a day.

59 minutes ago, Wino said:

Had been looking at the AA one the other week.

Some reviews said they had the odd error notification after using it though so was put off by that but it would be a feasible way if topping up the battery whilst its sat in the works carpark for 10 hours a day.

Look for one with the highest watt output you can afford, all the rest are Mickey Mouse! I bought a 'sealey' 5w charger but it never had a strong enough output to properly keep battery charged.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Look for one with the highest watt output you cab afford, all the rest are Mickey Mouse! I bought a 'sealey' 5w charger but it never had a strong enough output to properly keep battery charged.

I did some research tbh ( That's a first lol) 12v with 10w is the recommendation but its finding one with an OBD port connector.

The AA ones I've come across are 1.8w and 4.8w respectively so don't think either are up to the job.

Halfords do one buts mainly for leisure batters @ 6.8w and only connects direct to battery terminals. 

Thanks for the heads up 👍

• Like 1

Hi just to confirm, I have tested all 3 of the 12V sockets on my Mk4 Focus and they all switch OFF with the ignition. You would have thought in this day and age that they would be programmable.

I can't remember which car I had some 30 years ago but there were two spaces in the fuse box for the 'cigar ligter' and you put a fuse in either Ignition controlled or permanent live. A simple but good idea at the time.

3 minutes ago, unofix said:

Hi just to confirm, I have tested all 3 of the 12V sockets on my Mk4 Focus and they all switch OFF with the ignition. You would have thought in this day and age that they would be programmable.

I can't remember which car I had some 30 years ago but there were two spaces in the fuse box for the 'cigar ligter' and you put a fuse in either Ignition controlled or permanent live. A simple but good idea at the time.

Im beginning to wonder if the OBD port would still work if the car was switched off and locked or would that still need to have the ignition on or would it still work due to the solar charger itself being plugged into the OBD port 🤔

Hold the Bus !!

I've just been told that you might be able to programme the 12V sockets to stay on using ForScan. I need to investigate this, has anyone information, can it be done ?

Just found this:-   https://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9176   so maybe it can be done with a Focus

I have a MK2 Facelift focus, my 12v sockets are always live.

I am sure I read somewhere that the fuse box has 3 pins available for the 12v sockets. You only use two pins at a time but in one position the 12v sockets are controlled by the ignition and in the other position the 12v sockets are live all the time...

Just now, stevejwalford said:

I have a MK2 Facelift focus, my 12v sockets are always live.

I am sure I read somewhere that the fuse box has 3 pins available for the 12v sockets. You only use two pins at a time but in one position the 12v sockets are controlled by the ignition and in the other position the 12v sockets are live all the time...

Well, that would have saved me a bit of hassle LOL I had an 'ignition' controlled socket installed in my Focus as the factory one was permanently live and I assumed I had no other option!

991458747_new12vsocket.thumb.jpg.83b12fd99f2789851dca3b60998bd4cb.jpg

19 hours ago, unofix said:

Possibly a Peugeot/Citroen?  The old 306s had a shunt fuse that could be moved from from switched live to perm live.

Hi Tom, I've only ever owned/driven Ford, Vauxhall and Jaguar so I guess it has to have been one of those. I remember at the time being quite pleased that I could set the cigar lighter to be ignition controlled.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club