Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Seatbelt keeps locking and hard to pull out.

jace1969

The drivers seatbelt keeps locking when going to pull it out, tried everything from slow/fast/on and angle and more, sometimes it works ok, but then it just plays up very bad.

Is there anyway i could help it so it's that bit easier as it's a pain sitting on a car park trying for ages to try and get the belt out as i can't move.

I had this issue when I first bought the car. Eventually got the garage to replace it. Several posts on this, have a look through.

yeh just had mine changed recently with a used one that hadnt exploded off eBay. check the part number first the last 2 number doesnt matter if there not the same.

Cheers for the feedback and the link,i will pull the plastic cover off it and have a look and see if i can find the number and then if so a eBay job.

1 hour ago, jace1969 said:

Cheers for the feedback and the link,i will pull the plastic cover off it and have a look and see if i can find the number and then if so a eBay job.

if i remember rightly the number is on the tag at the bottom of the belt near the metal rail it slides on didnt need the cover off on my zetec s 1.6 2012

I will add a picture below but ain't it hard to find one under £50 second hand, saved a few off eBay to send messages as the last 2 letters after the dash ain't the same but the full number is.

seat belt.jpg

yeh paid £50 2nd hand for mine. doesnt matter about last 2 letters man.. make sure its 8V51-A61294 and never set the air bag off

my zetec s 1.6 2012 was 8V51-B61294-CP

a lot more expensive for new one from ford 🙂

17 hours ago, OvEr_KiLL said:

yeh paid £50 2nd hand for mine. doesnt matter about last 2 letters man.. make sure its 8V51-A61294 and never set the air bag off

my zetec s 1.6 2012 was 8V51-B61294-CP

a lot more expensive for new one from ford 🙂

Yes over £200 for new,cheers for your help.

So i don't have to do anything special not to set the air bag light as you did just unplug the one and fit the other.

1 hour ago, jace1969 said:

Yes over £200 for new,cheers for your help.

So i don't have to do anything special not to set the air bag light as you did just unplug the one and fit the other.

my mechanic did it for me, but yeh make sure before you buy it, it doesnt auto lock like yours in doing and also it hasnt ever set the airbag off. from the car the came out of.

Just got one for £40.......Says all working fine from removal so just waiting for it to arrive.

If anyone can add to this.....Do i have to disconnect the battery for an hour before i remove the wires on the seat belt.

20 hours ago, jace1969 said:

Just got one for £40.......Says all working fine from removal so just waiting for it to arrive.

If anyone can add to this.....Do i have to disconnect the battery for an hour before i remove the wires on the seat belt.

im sure he didnt disconnect the battery when he did it, but its probably safer to incase the connector doesnt go in right and sets the airbag off or something 🙂

4 hours ago, OvEr_KiLL said:

im sure he didnt disconnect the battery when he did it, but its probably safer to incase the connector doesnt go in right and sets the airbag off or something 🙂

I will just take it off anyway see if it helps,it should come Saturday so will have a go.

It's just a pain, went out today and sat 30mins bit by bit until it clicked in and the stuff i have tried off YouTube it mad.

Looked on youtube how it works and it says a ball bearing that fits in a cup then if there is dust under the ball bearing it pushed the plastic clip as it lifts it so it hits the ratchet and locks the belt.

There must be a fix for this, when the other one arrives i will take this one apart and see.

After being stuck this morning and belt just gave in i got it back and striped it down as i will put a picture below,it is not a sealed unit.

You will see on the picture below, it's got a ball bearing that fits in a spring-loaded cup with a very small piece of plastic that sticks out which when the ball moves and not upright it pushes the spring loaded cup out to move the plastic bit sticking out to lock onto a cog wheel and locks belt.

What i could see through years of it locking it bent the plastic out so closer to the cog so trimmed it back very slight and works like new,the cover just pops off,you can see on the one picture how the bearing fits into a metal cup when top is put back on,all back and done.

inside a seat belt..jpg

seat belt cog..jpg

• Like 1