Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cruise control won't work in 5th gear (fine in 3rd & 4th) any suggestions?

Dee14

Hello,

Has anyone experienced this please?  Mondeo 1.6 petrol hatchback 2007 MK4

All buttons / functionality work as expected in 3rd & 4th gears. Even tried it at 60mph in 4th and it is fine but when I go to 5th it disengages. I can press on the left and it will go to "cruise standby" but none of the buttons on the right work in 5th gear to set it.

The steering wheel switches were swapped out but that didn't change any of the symptoms. It still has a fault code for both switches. It still works in 3rd & 4th but not 5th.

10 hours ago, Dee14 said:

It still has a fault code for both switches

If you post what the fault code is them someone maybe able to help

Thanks @unofix Unfortunately I don't recall now the exact error codes as I was so frustrated that it was a red herring. There is something else that is confusing it into thinking its the cruise control steering wheel switches that are the source of the error. Swapping out these had no impact at all. 

Interestingly though I did come across a post on here today for the same issue on a Fiesta. Not sure if that it occurs across models helps though. 

It sure is an odd fault. It's as though the CC system thinks the car is travelling to slow for the cruise to be engaged.

At 70 MPH in 4th the cruise is working, if you then change to 5th does it just drop out and not re-engage?

Have you had any problems with the ABS system ?

3 minutes ago, unofix said:

It sure is an odd fault. It's as though the CC system thinks the car is travelling to slow for the cruise to be engaged.

At 70 MPH in 4th the cruise is working, if you then change to 5th does it just drop out and not re-engage?

Have you had any problems with the ABS system ?

@unofix Thanks for your reply. That is it exactly. When you change to 5th it drops out completely. Usually between 3rd and 4th you just hit resume but going to 5th the only button that responds is on which will display "cruise on standby" then the message disappears in a few seconds regardless of if you press any of the plus / minus / res buttons or not. It is rather baffling!  I haven't any other issues that I have noticed. There is no ABS light coming up on the dash and when the error codes were checked it was just the cc ones nothing about ABS. 

@unofix I presume if it was the Vehicle Speed Sensor(VSS) or Trottle position sensor (TBS) just like ABS there should be other symptoms? 🤨

Only other suggestion I came across online but it wasn't a ford car was Check ECM setting for cruise cut out/enable RPM/speed.  Check the gear ratios for the for the 5 speed transmission for the engine. Is that even a thing? 

Hi Dee, as you say there are no other problems / faults which makes it difficult to track down the cause.

Has the car got standard size wheels and tyres fitted, as per it left the factory with ?

14 hours ago, unofix said:

Hi Dee, as you say there are no other problems / faults which makes it difficult to track down the cause.

Has the car got standard size wheels and tyres fitted, as per it left the factory with ?

@unofix I presume so, they are ford alloys and all 4 tyres are 205 55 R16

@unofix  

I have come across the issue happening with a focus after the gearbox had been changed. Anyone know if there is a way to tell on a 2nd hand car if the gearbox has been changed in the past?

@TomsFocus suggests in the case of a gearbox change that it sounds like the PCM is noticing the gear ratio is different to the original config.

Hi Dee, I'm sure there will be an easy way to check the gearbox but unfortunately I don't know what it is 🙁

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club