Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Broken transponder

Yariwes

Hello all,

First off: I'm not entirely sure i'm posting this in the right forum.. if not I apologise.

Since friday I've lost my main key to my ford fiesta 1.6ti-vct from 2010. I managed to find the second key (identical to the first key) in a drawer somewhere. But it turns out the transponder is broken as it won't allow me to start the car (red light blinks rapidly, meaning immobiliser doesnt recognize key).

Now my plan is to buy a new transponder for this key and have it programmed at the nearest dealer. I believe this is the right one?: 4D63 Transponder chip (website is in dutch).

My question is: Since I still have the physical key and remote, can I just plop in the new transponder and have it programmed or would this not work?

Also, a friend told me I need 2 keys to be even able to program new keys to my Fiesta, is this true? Would I need to buy a second transponder and have a second key cut for this?

The dealer told me he had to order a completely new key and have it cut but this seems a bit unnecessary from my perspective, as a new key is €120+ while a new transponder is only €9

Thanks in advance and sorry if my English has any errors, I would be happy to clarify if anything is unclear.

Hi, yes you can replace the transponder chip in the key and then have it programmed in to the car. 

You don't need two keys. Many years ago it was possible to programme extra keys in to the car if you had 2 working keys. That is no longer possible. 

How do you know that the transponder chip in your key is broken? 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, unofix said:

Hi, yes you can replace the transponder chip in the key and then have it programmed in to the car. 

You don't need two keys. Many years ago it was possible to programme extra keys in to the car if you had 2 working keys. That is no longer possible. 

How do you know that the transponder chip in your key is broken? 

Local garage said they couldn't access the car's immobiliser.. But they also noticed the transponder wasn't even responding to their computer.

Really happy to hear that I can just buy my own transponders and keys instead of having Ford make two new ones for €250+ and having it take a month for them to arrive 🙂

I also just noticed that the key in the first link already has a transponder built-in so I don't need to order 2.

Would you, or maybe anyone else reading this, be able to confirm that the 4D63 is indeed the correct chip? They look exactly the same and I'm pretty sure it's the right one but I just want to make sure 🙂

Hi 4D63 is the transponder chip for your 2010 Fiesta. You will need both of your new keys programmed in to the car, and at the same time delete the old keys for security.

If you are good with a computer then you can do it yourself. You need to download the programme 'ForScan' which is free, you then need to buy the extended license about €10 might be a little more. You will also need a ELM327 programming lead which is about €20. Do not try this if you are not sure how to do it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, unofix said:

Hi 4D63 is the transponder chip for your 2010 Fiesta. You will need both of your new keys programmed in to the car, and at the same time delete the old keys for security.

If you are good with a computer then you can do it yourself. You need to download the programme 'ForScan' which is free, you then need to buy the extended license about €10 might be a little more. You will also need a ELM327 programming lead which is about €20. Do not try this if you are not sure how to do it.

Thanks for the advice! I noticed there is a 1 month free version of the extended license so that's another €10 saved. I bought this cable to program it.

I also read something about needing an ''incode'' to even get access to the immobiliser, I assume Forscan doesn't need this code?

Hi, no special code needed for ForScan

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club