Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cooling fan

CollumPlz

I post way to much on this forum LMAO.

I have an issue with the cooling fan not turning on which I have addressed in a previous post. I tried looking for things that were suggested but no luck..

The AC works but the engine fan doesn't turn on as it should. Engine temps are normal (about halfway) but the coolant is bubbling like crazy and is extremely hot to touch. This is while idling I should add.

I am changing the coolant and the reservior tank soon as the coolant could be 10 years old for all I know.. but is there an issue with the fan?

The fan turned on at full speed immediately after switching the engine off, but why not before? Is there two relays (low speed and high speed)?

37 minutes ago, CollumPlz said:

I post way to much on this forum LMAO.

I have an issue with the cooling fan not turning on which I have addressed in a previous post. I tried looking for things that were suggested but no luck..

The AC works but the engine fan doesn't turn on as it should. Engine temps are normal (about halfway) but the coolant is bubbling like crazy and is extremely hot to touch. This is while idling I should add.

I am changing the coolant and the reservior tank soon as the coolant could be 10 years old for all I know.. but is there an issue with the fan?

The fan turned on at full speed immediately after switching the engine off, but why not before? Is there two relays (low speed and high speed)?

I can also confirm both relays are working and fuse F4 that controls A/C and Engine fan is fine..

Remove the cooling fan resistor mounted close to the fan. It just unclips.
Check the coil (resistor) is attached to the connector.
Mine failed, one of the spot welds detached. 

5 minutes ago, Dan62 said:

Remove the cooling fan resistor mounted close to the fan. It just unclips.
Check the coil (resistor) is attached to the connector.
Mine failed, one of the spot welds detached. 

But wouldn't this just stop the fan from working completely. Because it turned on once the engine shut off but not while it was running?

29 minutes ago, CollumPlz said:

But wouldn't this just stop the fan from working completely. Because it turned on once the engine shut off but not while it was running?

The resistor just stops it running at half speed.  Did you try bypassing it?

• Like 1

Just now, TomsFocus said:

The resistor just stops it running at half speed.  Did you try bypassing it?

How do you bypass it? 

I've got the fan off, picture below of what seems to be a resistor.

NvT4hAX0.jpeg

P0TyOetg.jpeg

5 minutes ago, CollumPlz said:

How do you bypass it? 

I've got the fan off, picture below of what seems to be a resistor.

NvT4hAX0.jpeg

P0TyOetg.jpeg

That's the worst one I've seen lol!  Just need to unbend a paperclip and poke that into the plug terminals to bypass it.

2 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

That's the worst one I've seen lol!  Just need to unbend a paperclip and poke that into the plug terminals to bypass it.

Can you just drive with it bypassed? Or do you mean to test the fan?

I looked for replacements online but they look nothing like this one.. so I thought I'm looking at the wrong thing lmao.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CollumPlz said:

Can you just drive with it bypassed? Or do you mean to test the fan?

I looked for replacements online but they look nothing like this one.. so I thought I'm looking at the wrong thing lmao.

Yeah you can drive with it bypassed.  It'll either make the fan work more than it does now if the resistor is broken, or the same if the resistor isn't at fault, nothing bad will happen from bypassing it.

Yeah, they should have a green insulating coating...either this one has all fallen off, or maybe it's a cheap aftermarket part that's been replaced before.  

1 minute ago, TomsFocus said:

Yeah you can drive with it bypassed.  It'll either make the fan work more than it does now if the resistor is broken, or the same if the resistor isn't at fault, nothing bad will happen from bypassing it.

Yeah, they should have a green insulating coating...either this one has all fallen off, or maybe it's a cheap aftermarket part that's been replaced before.  

I was looking for a green coil XD. Once my new battery arrives I'll give it a go. Thanks

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CollumPlz said:

I was looking for a green coil XD. Once my new battery arrives I'll give it a go. Thanks

I got the resistor out and it looks *****.. lol

SX6N3Da8.jpeg

3 minutes ago, CollumPlz said:

I got the resistor out and it looks *****.. lol

SX6N3Da8.jpeg

Lol, you can also test that with your multimeter!! :biggrin:  Set to ohms and see how much resistance it has...  If it's open circuit it needs replacing.  Should have some resistance but I don't know how much off the top of my head.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club