Do Not Sell My Personal Information

rear vibration

john and doreen

rear vibration on normal road surface. cannot pin down exact spot. what are possible solutions ?

More information needed, could be anything from wheel balancing, faulty tyre, wheel bearing or suspension components. Does it happen at all speeds? Does it happen more when turning right or left?  Can you see anything that looks different from one side of the car to the other. If you jack up the back of the car can you rock one wheel by hand but not the other, do both wheels feel the same when you rotate them by hand?

• Like 1

Being an 80 year old with mobility problems not able to do much in the way of jacking up or anything. The problem does not show on good road surfaces but is a damned irritation on normal and not so good surface. Local Garage not much help. Car has only done 14,000 miles and is just out of warranty and can't really afford  Ford garage investigative charges but it looks like I will have to anyway. Thanks for your reply it has given me some ideas as to what might be the problem.

If you can't jack up the car I suggest you just take it to a garage and let them fix it. 

It doesn't have to be Ford. A local indie should have no trouble diagnosing suspension problems.

Do you have anyone who could help you put the rear wheels on the front and vice versa? If so I would try that personally. If it is an imbalanced wheel the noise / vibration would move to the front of the car....

• Like 1

Yeah, sounds like tyre out of balance, tyre could be faulty (bulged) or a buckled wheel.

The only way to iron it out is firstly to take the car to a decent tyre centre and get them to check the tyres and wheels for damage (Bulge could be on inside), then get all four wheels balanced and see if that cures it.

If it still persists after that, you need to start looking at wheel bearings, but with only 14000 miles, I doubt it and possibly a faulty rear shock absorber, but again at 14000 miles, I doubt it.

You've probably kerbed a wheel and damaged a rear tyre

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club