Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Drum to disc upgrade.

mickywrx

11 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I reckon it's a 21 plate thing...  First new Vignale I checked is clearly drums.  And they do look a bit silly behind 17s!!

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/new/202102118964048

image.thumb.png.2f3d66976f9985646a03bf020a5db8fe.png

Ahah it's like "Move along, nothing to see here" xD

😂hide and seek | Overwatch memes, Overwatch, Overwatch funny

• Haha 1

If it helps my Vignale with rear drums came off the production line 15th Sept 2020.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

I reckon it's a 21 plate thing...  First new Vignale I checked is clearly drums.  And they do look a bit silly behind 17s!!

Hmm! Don't look great with those wheels! Might blend in a bit better on some of the darker wheel colours.

I wonder if they would look better painted with silver Hammerite. Might give it a try when and if the weather gets better.

The wife's Mhev was registered December 2020 but is an My.21. This as said previously had rear discs.

If they are only putting drums on the ST Line X model of Fiesta then my feeling at this moment in time is they will lose me as a customer when it comes to renewal middle of next year.  My Mk7.5 had rear drums and after around a year they looked awful with the rust appearing. That is enough to put me off buying a car with them on now.

Customers shouldn't have to mess around painting drums on a new car just to keep them looking fresh after a matter of months.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jsk said:

I wonder if they would look better painted with silver Hammerite. Might give it a try when and if the weather gets better.

7 hours ago, Mavroz said:

The wife's Mhev was registered December 2020 but is an My.21. This as said previously had rear discs.

If they are only putting drums on the ST Line X model of Fiesta then my feeling at this moment in time is they will lose me as a customer when it comes to renewal middle of next year.  My Mk7.5 had rear drums and after around a year they looked awful with the rust appearing. That is enough to put me off buying a car with them on now.

Customers shouldn't have to mess around painting drums on a new car just to keep them looking fresh after a matter of months.

The Mrs's SEAT has rear drums which came painted a silvery grey colour, and they are not very noticeable behind the silver alloys. Also they are showing no rust after almost 7 years. Perhaps it's better paint than Ford use!😀

• Like 1

On 5/19/2021 at 7:41 PM, TomsFocus said:

Just looked again at that dealers ad. They have an ST-L on there also,  but that looks as if it does have discs. Weird.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Just looked again at that dealers ad. They have an ST-L on there also,  but that looks as if it does have discs. Weird.

Which one?  They have loads of brand new ST-Line Editions...looks like they accidentally ordered 12 instead of 2! :biggrin: 

The random selection I checked were all drum though.

56 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Which one?  They have loads of brand new ST-Line Editions...looks like they accidentally ordered 12 instead of 2! :biggrin: 

The random selection I checked were all drum though.

This one (I think!). Not as good pics as the Vignale but I thought I could make out the caliper in one of the side on shots. Could just be the old eyes playing tricks, though!😀 It might just be the light showing under the car.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/new/202103130108821?advertising-location=at_cars&postcode=ip52ww&model=FIESTA&page=1&aggregatedTrim=Vignale Edition&radius=200&make=FORD&include-delivery-option=on&journey=associated?journey=associated&modal=photos

5 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

This one (I think!). Not as good pics as the Vignale but I thought I could make out the called in one of the side on shots. Could just be the old eyes playing tricks, though!😀 It might just be the light showing under the car.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/new/202103130108821?advertising-location=at_cars&postcode=ip52ww&model=FIESTA&page=1&aggregatedTrim=Vignale Edition&radius=200&make=FORD&include-delivery-option=on&journey=associated?journey=associated&modal=photos

That is just the light under the car I think, the 'disc' looks to have the drum shaped step in it! :biggrin:

15 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

That is just the light under the car I think, the 'disc' looks to have the drum shaped step in it! :biggrin:

Yeah, I'm thinking so too, now. I can see there's going to have to be some serious research done on cars now things are opening up again. I'm still hanging on a bit hoping for a maskless experience in a month or so, fingers crossed!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Basically if you want to do the conversion,  the biggest and ultimate problem is having the proper bracket to mount the new discs set up to be bolted on to your current axles.  If you can overcome this problem then it is actually very straightforward and a matter of taking out the current drums and replacing it with the new discs set up.  After that you need to ensure that you get the proper sling wires that will best tether to the original handbrake cables.  I have helped some friends convert and it is always getting the proper brackets to be custom made which is one major PITA.

I have recently completed the rear disc conversion and front ST caliper setup. 

Parts I fitted, rear axle which came with the calipers (£125) did come with pads and discs but I fitted new. Hand brake cable (approx £45 from dealer), front calipers with carriers (£45.00 each) from the same seller/car, new disc and pads and treated to new braided hoses (can use original fronts but not rears). Oh fitted Brembo discs and EBC Grennstuff pads.

Took approx 3 hours to complete with use of a ramp. Some say you need the ST abs sensors but they put on the abs light so swapped out to the originals and all worked. The fronts are bolt on to existing hub and obviously need new bigger discs and pads.

The brakes are sooooo much better now, maybe due to the use of pads and hoses and most importantly does not look poverty spec.

20210529_185157.jpg

20210521_211057.jpg

20210521_211107.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Not sure if I'll get a rollocking for reviving my own thread. 😕

So, I've bought a complete(ish) rear axle from an ST180.  Well that's what it was advertised as, it's got discs and calipers though.

When I say "ish", the only thing that's been cut is the handbrake cable, the rear brake flexi pipes appear to be intact.

If they are intact as I think, can I just use them, rather than source new replacements?  I've got braided hoses to go on the front, but, my aim is to get it all fitted and then once I know everything is right I'll replace the rear brake flexi pipes.

• Like 1

If the flexi pipes look in good clean condition I see no reason that you can't use them.

I'm not sure how you are going to adjust the brake balance between front and rear. The ABS might throw up a few faults.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, unofix said:

If the flexi pipes look in good clean condition I see no reason that you can't use them.

I'm not sure how you are going to adjust the brake balance between front and rear. The ABS might throw up a few faults.

Ta. 👍

I'll see what happens when I stand on the brakes and take it from there. 😉😂

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/15/2021 at 10:31 PM, pragmatix said:

As the rears do very little in the way of braking, why bother, upgrade the brakes that do the work, the fronts cheap and easy.

Actually, disc brake has managing about the heat, and better maintaince.

On 7/7/2022 at 10:57 PM, unofix said:

Little update.  Complete rear axle fitted yesterday.

Re-used the OEM flexi pipes, I'll replace them with braided items in due course.  No ABS faults, and the brake balance seems fine, it brakes in a straight line when standing on them.

Total cost was under £300.  £150 for the complete axle, £25 for a complete ST handbrake cable, £25 for a couple of bushes and £60 labour for my mates son that has access to a 2 post ramp.   For what it cost, I'm happy.  It looks so much better than drum brakes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club