Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Start stop technology

Carlos3012

2016 galaxy titanium..only had the car a few week and noticed somethings not working after reading handbook.. The stop start while in traffic or lights 

The Start/Stop technology is the greatest thing ever to be fitted to any Ford vehicle. It provides thousands of posts on this forum of those who feel it saves the planet, and those who feel the inventer should be given a slap and told not to be so stupid.

Of course your Start/Stop system doesn't work, you have more chance of winning the lottery. There is a list of about 20 things that have to be "Just right" before it will operate. The most common reason for it not operating is the battery charge is too low. Other things are the battery is too hot, the battery is too cold, the heated seats are on, the heated windows are on. You will never fix it as actually its not broke. One day when you least expect it and probably at the worst possible moment it will turn your engine off just to prove it can.

If you do a search of these forums you will find so many threads on the subject it will give you enough reading for a week.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, unofix said:

The Start/Stop technology is the greatest thing ever to be fitted to any Ford vehicle. It provides thousands of posts on this forum of those who feel it saves the planet, and those who feel the inventer should be given a slap and told not to be so stupid.

Of course your Start/Stop system doesn't work, you have more chance of winning the lottery. There is a list of about 20 things that have to be "Just right" before it will operate. The most common reason for it not operating is the battery charge is too low. Other things are the battery is too hot, the battery is too cold, the heated seats are on, the heated windows are on. You will never fix it as actually its not broke. One day when you least expect it and probably at the worst possible moment it will turn your engine off just to prove it can.

If you do a search of these forums you will find so many threads on the subject it will give you enough reading for a week.

You missed out that it won't work if it's.   Windy, Raining, Sunny, Overcast, Too cold or too hot and Wintry Showers oh and if there are leaves on the road and the wind is also blowing in the wrong direction but you are correct in that it will work after being dormant for ages. A bit like a volcano and it erupts into life at the worse moment in time like mine did last week as I came off the motorway 🙄

• Haha 1

My stop start happens at least once each drive, I really don't know how yours are all so inconsistent... :biggrin:  I find it a nice bit of calm while sat at a lengthy red light...or level crossing where the train doesn't appear for another 10 minutes (who closes the damn barriers so early?  No surprise people jump them!).

• Like 2

4 hours ago, unofix said:

Crikey, at first, I thought you were serious, till I read your whole post LOL You are correct, it is inherently flawed. As a kid, did you ever turn the lights on/off really quickly for ages till dad shouted, 'Stop that, you'll break them!'. Well, the principal holds for a car engine, it should be running, or stopped, not constantly on/off where it puts enormous strain on many components, not least the starter motor. If you have it, and it doesn't work, just be grateful, and go and buy a nice avocado smoothy instead LOL

• Haha 1

See if it’s a feature that owners don’t want , why so many threads ? Start stops been around since what, mk3 focus? 
Are starter motors needing replaced on those cars now? Or not cause the SS never worked in the first place? 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Alex.S said:

See if it’s a feature that owners don’t want , why so many threads ? Start stops been around since what, mk3 focus? 
Are starter motors needing replaced on those cars now? Or not cause the SS never worked in the first place? 

A lot of the issue with the Mk4 is that it has gone backwards rather than forwards compared to the Mk3. Yes the Tech is supposed to be newer and more advanced but in reality the Mk4 is actually a big step backwards as it's nowhere near as economical and the majority of the time the stop start doesn't work along side with other electrical things that should but don't and when they are used it's at the expense of something else which 99% of the time is the Stop Start.

It really beggars belief to have a system in place that relies so heavily on the charge in the battery / Electronic side of things and only allow the system itself to charge up to 80%.

Ford also haven't helped themselves either by burying there heads in the sand and admitting they have made a massive error in the design and function of the Electronics hence the penny pinching in some of the electric parts that are now missing from the original Mk4's like only putting one light in the boot and removal of the locking door handles on all doors.

• Like 2

Stop start cars get heavy duty starters to cope with the extra starts.  Tbh I've seen fewer 'my starters broke' threads/posts for SS cars than pre-SS cars.  They rarely break, but do cost more if they ever need replacing...  On the MHEV, it uses the generator to restart the engine so no extra wear on the starter for these.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Tbh I've seen fewer 'my starters broke' threads/posts for SS cars than pre-SS cars. 

Tom, as already suggested, is it possible that the starters last becasue of the large volume of cars where SS simply doesn't work? There are numerous threads on SS not working here, by people that have an interest in their cars. There must be 1000s of folk with a non working SS system who don't post, that either don't know it's not working, or even a feature of their car, and even if they do, simply don't care...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StephenFord said:

Tom, as already suggested, is it possible that the starters last becasue of the large volume of cars where SS simply doesn't work? There are numerous threads on SS not working here, by people that have an interest in their cars. There must be 1000s of folk with a non working SS system who don't post, that either don't know it's not working, or even a feature of their car, and even if they do, simply don't care...

It's possible...but they don't really break on VAG stuff either, where the SS does seem to work in general.  Ford don't make starters (fortunately!) so would expect the same level of quality across the marques. 

Golfs now on 110k and still fires instantly...  Not a scientific test but the older 2.0 TDIs without start stop had a lot of lazy starter issues - my own A3 included.  Stop anywhere for a few minutes once warm and it'd need several cranks to start again.  :rolleyes: 

• Like 1

On 5/17/2021 at 8:46 AM, Carlos3012 said:

2016 galaxy titanium..only had the car a few week and noticed somethings not working after reading handbook.. The stop start while in traffic or lights 

I’d imagine, you wish that you had never asked. 🤣

• Haha 1

• 4 months later...

Lucky you stop/start doesn't work. I've had to call out AA 3 times in last few months as car wouldn't start. All of them advised me to switch off  the stop/start feature EVERY time I started the car.  They said that's what they do on their own cars.  

On 5/18/2021 at 7:33 AM, Wino said:

It really beggars belief to have a system in place that relies so heavily on the charge in the Battery / Electronic side of things and only allow the system itself to charge up to 80%.

Just a quick heads-up.

About 3 weeks ago I used ForScan and changed my battery charge level from the factory 80% to my new level of 95% What a fantastic difference it has made. I never use the Start/Stop system but I can say it is now available nearly all the time. For me the important things like Auto Hold (my car is automatic) now works all the time and doesn't switch off due to low battery. The keyless entry works on all 4 doors all of the time, and yesterday while cleaning the inside I didn't keep getting the warning to "Start the engine" or switch off (funny thing is the ignition is never onwhen I get that warning). Remote start works now so I can start the engine to heat the planet sorry I meant the car 10 minutes before I get in. All said and done my car seems to be a lot happier. 👍

• Like 3

Funny you mentioned this as I got the "Start engine" warning today whilst giving the car its first thorough interior clean in 2yrs now I can get to the car with a decent hoover.

The amount of dog hair was frightening and she's only been in the car twice it was stuck to the back of the rear seats like glue so spent a good few hours on it today.

• Like 1