Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rain Sensing Wipers Not working !

Paulkp

Recently had a new windscreen fitted to an '07 Fiesta with auto wipers and headlights.  Auto wipers no longer work, even in the rain we have just had.  I am suspicious that it is a windscreen problem as all connected correctly behind the mirror, but from the outside, the sensor looks "different".  Auto headlightsdo come on when I cover up the sensor completely.

Any one got any images of the sensor from the outside to compare ?  We also have a Fusion, which has the same sensor, but looks very different from the outside.

2 hours ago, Paulkp said:

Recently had a new windscreen fitted to an '07 Fiesta with auto wipers and headlights.  Auto wipers no longer work, even in the rain we have just had.  I am suspicious that it is a windscreen problem as all connected correctly behind the mirror, but from the outside, the sensor looks "different".

Was it a genuine Ford windscreen or a Chinese copy ? Take the car back to the company that fitted the windscreen and ask them to sort it out.

• Like 1

The rain sensor needs to be in direct contact with the screen to work effectively.  This is done using a clear gel pad.  If the pad wasn't replaced, wasn't fitted at all, or has been replaced with an air bubble stuck under it, the rain sensor won't work.  If you can post a picture, we may be able to see what's happened.

If it was done by Autoglass, they should come and repair it for free (I had 2 new gel pads and finally a brand new genuine sensor!) but it's easy enough to sort yourself to save the hassle of waiting in etc.

Unofix :  Chinese out - German in.

Tom : That sounds like it, certainly looking at it from the outside. and comparing it with our Fusion.  I'l try and take some shots, as long as the rain stays away !

Not managed to remove it from the screen yet, no obvious clip to release, but it can't be that difficult!

Edited by Paulkp
  • Like 1

Fusion - Definitely look different to my old eyes!

fusionWS.jpg

Perhaps I should have cleaned the windscreens!

Bl00dy hell !!! who fitted that ? did you get the windscreen replaced at Toys "R" Us ?

I think its clear to see the sensor needs refitting with a new clear gel pad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah, there's something wrong there.  Either reused an old pad or maybe broke the retaining clip so it doesn't fit tight to the screen.  You said you can't see an obvious clip...maybe they broke it or lost it!  Pic from the back required now haha. :biggrin:

• Thanks 1

Update - Had the sensor off, and it looks like the gel had been replaced back to front  - it is assymetric, and will only fit one way.

(It was coated with something greasy, and I was tempted to clean it all off ?)

Replaced and now wipers move when sensor obscured!  I will test it operationally soon (I can hear rain on Conservatory roof!)

Thanks.

• Like 1

At least they fitted the rear view mirror on the correct side, I can see an Autoglass technician being baffled when the wipers keep stopping 🙂 🙂

• 8 months later...

I have a 2014 ford cmax and the rain sensors are not working, is the sensor suppose to be stuck to the windscreen, I have removed the metal spring and cant see any sealant, id there supposed to be any, I keep seeing online about sensor pad but dont know if the is the same as my model

2 minutes ago, sputnick007 said:

I have a 2014 ford cmax and the rain sensors are not working, is the sensor suppose to be stuck to the windscreen, I have removed the metal spring and cant see any sealant, id there supposed to be any, I keep seeing online about sensor pad but dont know if the is the same as my model

No sealant.  There should just be a clear gel pad between the sensor and the screen.  

6 minutes ago, sputnick007 said:

Thanks, dose not  seem to be any gel pad

Has it had a new windscreen recently?  If so, the windscreen company should sort it out for free.  If not, you can buy the gel pads online for around a tenner.  Think it'll be the teardrop shape on a 2014 model but you'd have to double check.

WS Silicone Sensor Pad FORD Galaxy/Mondeo/KUGA/Ecosport/Focus/Smax/Transit 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sputnick007 said:

not sure what it is supposed to look like

It'll be the same shape as the sensor.  Round sensor needs the teardrop shape as linked above.  Square sensor needs a square pad.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club