Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus 1 litre ecoboost auto

Petti1971

Bought 18plate ecoboost 1 litre engine takes about 15 minutes to get up to temp but when I turn blowers on it drops  and when turn off goes back up to normal is this normal as taken to garage they say it’s fine checked thermostat that’s all fine and coolant flowing fine they say it’s normal  for the ecoboost engines 

When you say the temperature drops when you turn on the blower do you mean the cabin temperature or the gauge on the instrument cluster?

I have a 1.0ltr Ecoboost and it does take longer to warm up than previous Ford's that I have owned.

Engine temp should not dip significantly if you put the blowers on.

1 hour ago, Petti1971 said:

Bought 18plate ecoboost 1 litre engine takes about 15 minutes to get up to temp but when I turn blowers on it drops  and when turn off goes back up to normal is this normal as taken to garage they say it’s fine checked thermostat that’s all fine and coolant flowing fine they say it’s normal  for the ecoboost engines 

Doesn't sound right to me. We have a 2017 1.0 Auto and it warms up very quick (The heater does anyway) and the gauge is constant at middle point, no matter what you do. 

• Like 1

Temp on the gauge  garage says that’s normal 

Ford garage says that’s normal for temp to go down when blowers on sure to the ecoboost boost engine blowers work fine car was look at at and they say everything as it should be if there was a fault the light would come on when blowers are off goes bk to normal 

Yeah the garage is talking complete ***** frankly.  Go somewhere else.  A dicky thermostat for instance would not cause a fault light.   We have a 1.0 ecoboost fiesta and a 1.5 economist focus and they are both up to temp in 5 minutes.

• Like 2

Yes been to another garage there saying same as Ford it’s normal he looked at it and everything is fine he says thermostat is opening and closing as it should perfectly flow of coolant 

Hi Petti1971, if the car is working fine and the engine is not overheating then why worry about the temp gauge dropping a little when you put the heater on ?

Just think if you had one of the many cars that don't even have a temprature guage you wouldn't even know that the  temp changed when you switch on the heater blower.

Ecoboost are efficient of sorts and therefore less heat generated so can take a while to get to temp. The gauge bears pretty much no correlation to temp increase from cold. 

When I had a focus ecoboost the temp gauge went from cold to normal ( via pcm signal) at around 40-50c after 4-5 mins but the thermostat temp required to open would take 12- 15 mins driving. All quite normal. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Petti1971 said:

Yes been to another garage there saying same as Ford it’s normal he looked at it and everything is fine he says thermostat is opening and closing as it should perfectly flow of coolant 

Did they check both thermostats?

The 1.0 ECOboost has a multistage cooling system with 2 thermostats.

It is not uncommon for one of the thermostats to fail on a 1.0 ECOboost. A failed thermostat directly affects engine temperature and if the engine does not reach normal operating temperature it will also affect fuel economy.

• Like 1

Perhaps the car needs software updates maybe??

11 hours ago, iantt said:

Ecoboost are efficient of sorts and therefore less heat generated so can take a while to get to temp

Don't the Ecoboosts run hotter than normal petrols which is the cause of cracking of the reservoir?

2 hours ago, mjt said:

Don't the Ecoboosts run hotter than normal petrols which is the cause of cracking of the reservoir?

yes they do but to get to temp can take longer than other engines.  

• Like 2

The only time I've ever seen the temp gauge move quicker than the normal slow move to the middle is when my thermostat was broken.

• 7 months later...
On 5/20/2021 at 4:43 PM, Guy Heaton said:

Engine temp should not dip significantly if you put the blowers on.

Guys, it's a very low consumption engine, with about 0.4 to 0.5L/h, compared to almost 1 liter an hour at idle of other vehicles. Proportionally the heat that the engine creates. So it makes sense if you put the blower to max rpm and full warm, that you'll eventually cool the engine by some 20 degrees C, remaining at just above 70 instead of 90, especially if it's cold outside and your anti-freeze mix is also with more water (which cools a lot better than the anti-freeze) than normal in the mix. These all count.

Hello again @Maverick Su-35, there is almost no point in replying to any post that has been totally dead for more than a couple of months. This thread dates back to May 2021, which as it happens is the last time the OP visited. They didn't respond on thank anyone back then so your words of wisdom are falling on deaf ears.

• Like 2

On 5/20/2021 at 2:50 PM, Petti1971 said:

Good evening Petti!

Have a nice new year with health and anything good for you  i wish to happen!!!

Is your region reaches low temperatures?

Here in Greece with the rare low temps my diesel ecoblue 1,5 in a morning with 3-4º celsious comes to normal temp after a very long time.

If i use my blower as soon as i start the engine, temp rises even slower.

To be honest, when it is cold outside in the mornings, i drive it loke having an egg on the gas pedal!!!

I think that you are not going to have a serious problem with that issue.

I wish the best for your car!

Be well!!!

Just now, unofix said:

@Alexis94040 this is a very old post. Petti has not visited here since 21 May 2021

I haven't checked that at all i am very sorry!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club