Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Wrong Engine

HyperSquid

Hi all new member here. I bought a mk2 1.6 Focus Zetec last year, it had a bit of rod knock but ofc now it's much worse. I have stripped the engine down and I noticed the head said 1.25 and not 1.6, so that explains the lack of power and the fact I got ripped off.( Logbook says 1.6 ) However now I have cleaned the head, pistons, crank ect, how the hell do I order the right parts, I have the big end bearings already and they fit in the rods perfect, but I need a head gasket I assume if I order from the reg number I will get the wrong part, as log book and engine stamp are not the same. If eBay the right engine for the car will if fit the gearbox? it's four speed auto. Will add that searching the stamped engine number gives me no results.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Paul 

36 minutes ago, HyperSquid said:

I need a head gasket I assume if I order from the reg number I will get the wrong part

Correct.

37 minutes ago, HyperSquid said:

If Ebay the right engine for the car will if fit the gearbox?

???? what has the gearbox got to do with the head gasket ????

Are you replacing the engine / gearbox / head gasket ?

I would like to get the right gasket but if I cant  ( because atm I have no real clue what engine I have in the car ) and I then decide to buy an engine from eBay, one that is the right engine IE 1.6. Is the 1.2  and 1.6 engine cross compatible with the gear box. Or do the vary depending on the engine CC? 

1.25 was never fitted to the Focus...  It would be hopelessly slow with all that weight.  And it'd be overfuelling with the PCM expecting an extra 350cc.  Are you sure the 1.25 is referring to engine size and not just some sort of manufacturing number?

• Like 1

I am guessing the one of the previous owners swapped the engine  and yes it is slow and  uses way too much fuel, 1.25 is stamped on the head I don't know where to go from here, cut my losses and scrap it or buy a 1.6 lump  but then would I have to change the gearbox as well?

The gearbox will fit as the crank cases are the same across the 1.25/1.4/1.6.

Thank you for all your replies I will look around for an engine, any tips on how I find right engine code exp SHDA ect?

Best bet is looking for one from a Focus of the same age.  But other than that, you can only look for that SHDA really.  There was also a 1.6 Ti-VCT engine fitted to Mk2 Focus's. That wouldn't be compatible with your ECU so it's not enough just to look for the engine size in this case.

Okay the plot thickens, Now I am by no means a mechanic/engineer so I don't know the techy stuff or have years of experience with cars and what parts are interchangeable with one another. But after looking for a head gasket and checking the size out for this 1.2 engine I find that the bore size for the gasket is 73mm however my old gasket and bore in the block are at 80mm consistent with being a 1.6 focus engine I would think,  so I guess someone here will tell me that is possible but unadvisable, still there it is. So I have a 1.6 block and 1.25 head? sounds mental to me, but I can now get the right gasket, my question is should I chuck it all together as is or source a 1.6 head lol, talking of heads mines gone.

Just my tuppence worth, but, if the log book says 1.6, it is highly unlikely it isn't. What kind of idiot would replace it with a smaller underpowered engine? Now, much more likely if it had been swapped to have moved up to a 2 liter, for more power and torque, and kept quiet to save on insurance premium LOL 🤣

• Like 1

I'm still not convinced it's a 1.25 head...can you post a picture of this 1.25 stamp?  

In fairness, they do look the same, so someone without any Ford knowledge looking for a head at a scrapyard could have picked up the wrong one by mistake.  

Morning guys thanks for continuing to assist me with this, here are the images the Piston is a tad under 80mm across and the ports the valve heads sit in are 73mm across. Here is an eBay link to the same head.... from a Fiesta 1.2 Fusion lol https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/1623823741

crophead.jpg

croppiston.jpg

20210522_115708 (1).jpg

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Well, I stand corrected...someone has indeed fitted a 1.25 head to a 1.6 block. :ermm: :laugh: 

I wouldn't refit that personally lol, as you've got it all apart, may as well fit a 1.6 head rather than replacing the block as well if that's still in good order.

• Like 1

Well Stephen is very right about someone is an Idiot lol just goes to show never under estimate human beings, head will cost around £300 probably. Thanks again  for all your comments it has been a learning experience for all I am sure 🤣

• Like 1

Well just when you think you've seen it all along comes something so left field you just couldn't have made it up ! 🥴

There is some good news here, you don't need a whole new engine as it seems you still have a 1.6, well some of it !!!! So all you need now is a replacment 1.6 head and prepare for lift off. I'm just amazed that it's possible to fit the 1.25 head to a 1.6 block, I know Ford like a bit of interchangeability with engines and gearboxs but this takes it to a whole new level.

If you replace the head with one from a 1.6 will the manifolds still fit or will you need to replace them as well ?

• Like 1

Manifolds will still fit.  The head is the same externally on the 1.25/1.4/1.6 Sigma engines.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Head is on the way I guess everything should be back together next weekend I let you guys know, I mean if it works as intended I have to share my success  with someone right, after all I have bad Arthritis in my hand's and have not attempted this job before learning on the fly and with some great input from you lot.  Thanks for the manifold info I had not thought about that, one less heart attack now 😅

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HyperSquid said:

Head is on the way I guess everything should be back together next weekend I let you guys know

At least you won't have to inform your insurance company, as they think it's a 1.6 anyway LOL

• Haha 1

I should ask for a refund 🤣

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club