Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Foed Focus Ecoblue 1,5 Keeps Revs At Gear Change

Alexis94040

Hello everybody!!!

I have a question to make about gear changes in Ford Focus MK4 ecoblue.

When i push the gas pedal a little more deep up to 2.700 rpm when i clutch to change gear for example from 3rd to 4th it keeps revs for a second or more...rpm's drop a little but stall for a couple of secs at about 2000 rpm or below it.

Is it a problem or is it normal because i always had cars with cable throttle and not electric (forgive me for my mechanical terminology, i hope you unterstand what i mean, my english are poor).

I now have 5.700 kilometers (3.541 miles) on my odometer.

In addition i say that my car burns oil from the first kilometer i bought it new 5 months ago although i am still breaking it in (i am very very unlucky, it burned 650gr of oil untill now...)

Has that fact have any relation to the keeping revs at gear changes?

I would like to thank all of you in adittion for your answers!!!

Have a nice and healthy evening!!!

Greetings from hot and sunny Athens/Greece!

how good the engine you get is down to two things,

1) luck of the draw, when they picked up all the parts to make the engine how close to "ideal" specification were the components.  Normally you get an average mess that's OK, sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you get a duff one

2) then its down to how it left the building and ended up in the owners hands, and what they then did to it.  During that journey how well it settled down "as it was run in" matters, abuse on a poorer than average engine and it could go bang or be troublesome, likewise drive too gently on a great engine and do similar damage. Its all a big contradiction.  You need to abuse the things a few times carefully to "bed in piston rings".  Don't do it right, it will always be low on power and might burn oil.  Once past 1000k if the rings weren't bedded in its game over, nothing can be done.

Not all markets get the exact same set up.  Things like engine management software, a more powerful alternator, a bigger radiator or a more powerful AC system etc.  If you don't like the rev thing try another and or ask the dealership to check it out and or if there's a software update.

21 years back I picked up a new 1600 petrol and it did this same stupid gear change thing, its horrible, there was a software update that gave more low down grunt, but I never drove the car after to see if it sorted the revs.  Others occasionally mention the same horrible fault.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Botus said:

Once past 1000k if the rings weren't bedded in its game over, nothing can be done

If you really mean 1000k it would definitely be game over - that's a million miles :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi, I think you're saying it holds the revs whilst changing up through the box?

Totally normal, they "rev match" on change up to keep the turbo spinning to prevent/improve turbo lag when changing gear.

You should find that the revs will drop to what they should be once you start accelerating in the next gear.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, DaveT70 said:

Hi, I think you're saying it holds the revs whilst changing up through the box?

Totally normal, they "rev match" on change up to keep the turbo spinning to prevent/improve turbo lag when changing gear.

You should find that the revs will drop to what they should be once you start accelerating in the next gear.

Dave you are awsome!!!

Yes that is exactly what it does at gear changes!!!

Thanks a lot for your very very helpful answer!!!

I feel much better now.!!!!

On 5/23/2021 at 6:10 PM, Botus said:

how good the engine you get is down to two things,

1) luck of the draw, when they picked up all the parts to make the engine how close to "ideal" specification were the components.  Normally you get an average mess that's OK, sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you get a duff one

2) then its down to how it left the building and ended up in the owners hands, and what they then did to it.  During that journey how well it settled down "as it was run in" matters, abuse on a poorer than average engine and it could go bang or be troublesome, likewise drive too gently on a great engine and do similar damage. Its all a big contradiction.  You need to abuse the things a few times carefully to "bed in piston rings".  Don't do it right, it will always be low on power and might burn oil.  Once past 1000k if the rings weren't bedded in its game over, nothing can be done.

Not all markets get the exact same set up.  Things like engine management software, a more powerful alternator, a bigger radiator or a more powerful AC system etc.  If you don't like the rev thing try another and or ask the dealership to check it out and or if there's a software update.

21 years back I picked up a new 1600 petrol and it did this same stupid gear change thing, its horrible, there was a software update that gave more low down grunt, but I never drove the car after to see if it sorted the revs.  Others occasionally mention the same horrible fault.

Hello Botus!!!

I hope you are well.

My car pulls with dignity and a good torque after i press the gas pedal!

I do not have any matter in engine's power at all!!

My problem is the oil consumption!

No power loss,no engine problems, just oil consumption...

Thanks a lot for your reply!!!

Have a good evening!!!

• Like 1

Our Focus hasn't had any oil top ups at all but it has had the oil changes as and when required.

Whether there is a difference in amount of oil drained to what was originally put in I can't answer that unfortunately.

Is your oil level constantly dropping on the dipstick when you check it ? 

Ps....Can you please send us some 🌞 and stop keeping it for yourself 😄 Getting fed up with all this overcast and rainy weather.

• Like 1

The 1.5 TDCi still uses post injection DPF regen so you'd usually get some excess diesel topping up the oil...I'm surprised the level is dropping at all really.  I wonder if it's just parked at a different angle or measured on a slightly warm engine before it's all drained down maybe.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wino said:

Our Focus hasn't had any oil top ups at all but it has had the oil changes as and when required.

Whether there is a difference in amount of oil drained to what was originally put in I can't answer that unfortunately.

Ps....Can you please send us some 🌞 and stop keeping it for yourself 😄 Getting fed up with all this overcast and rainy weather.

I only have 5.600 kms (3.480 miles) on the odometer...

I have not had an oil change yet because i have not reached the specific kms for it...The car was new straight from the factory when i bought it 5 months ago...on its odo it only had 5kms!!!! I checked the oil immediately the same day as it was parked in completely straight and leveled surface of the Ford's dealership.The level was correct on the dipstick.

I always measure my oil level the next day after i stop the car after a trip of 30 kms.I am always parking my car on a level surface.

It consumes about 250 gr of engine oil at every 2.500 kms (1.553miles).

I am used to it now and it does not bother me any more...I add Ford Castrol Magnatec 0W-20 that meets ford's WSS-M2C952-A1 specification.

I am working the car mostly at city's traffic conditions (hot weather) and less in open suburban roads.

What oil could i use for my diesel except Castrol?

It might do not like it and burns it....😂😂😂😂

PS..

As for the sun this summer is going to be so hot for all Europe and England!!!!

Just be patient and the heat is coming!!!!

Have a nice night!!!

25 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

The 1.5 TDCi still uses post injection DPF regen so you'd usually get some excess diesel topping up the oil...I'm surprised the level is dropping at all really.  I wonder if it's just parked at a different angle or measured on a slightly warm engine before it's all drained down maybe.

Thanks for your reply!!!

I always check the dipstick the day after in a leveled surface!!!

Is it true that its oil capacity is 6,2 litres of oil with the filter?

1 hour ago, Wino said:

Take a taste of a Greek island at Ionian Sea.

Island's name is Lefkada!

https://www.greeka.com/ionian/lefkada/beaches/

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Alexis94040 said:

Take a taste of a Greek island at Ionian Sea.

Island's name is Lefkada!

https://www.greeka.com/ionian/lefkada/beaches/

Been there years ago. Sailing around the Ionian sea.

Lefkas, Kassasopi, Corfu ( moored in the marina behind the army barracks) and at a yacht racing club,cant remember the name......SPIROS IIRC 

Edited by Wino
Additional information.
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Alexis94040 said:

Thanks for your reply!!!

I always check the dipstick the day after in a leveled surface!!!

Is it true that its oil capacity is 6,2 litres of oil with the filter?

Well, you're doing everything right then! :biggrin:

Not sure where you've got 6.2 litres from?  It's only around 4 litres.  Think it's officially 3.8 litres.

12 hours ago, Wino said:

Been there years ago. Sailing around the Ionian sea.

Lefkas, Kassasopi, Corfu ( moored in the marina behind the army barracks) and at a yacht racing club,cant remember the name......SPIROS IIRC 

I've spent quite a bit of time in Greece myself...on Assassins Creed Odyssey... :biggrin: 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

Well, you're doing everything right then! :biggrin:

Not sure where you've got 6.2 litres from?  It's only around 4 litres.  Think it's officially 3.8 litres.

I've spent quite a bit of time in Greece myself...on Assassins Creed Odyssey... :biggrin: 

My Ford's manual says so...

6.2 litres with the oil filter change.

I am asking if it is correct because the oil is too expensive...about 200 euros with the mechanic's fee

19 minutes ago, Alexis94040 said:

My Ford's manual says so...

6.2 litres with the oil filter change.

I am asking if it is correct because the oil is too expensive...about 200 euros with the mechanic's fee

Hmm...will have to wait for someone else to confirm then.  @iantt will know.

4 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I found that on manual

IMG_20210525_124006.jpg

10 minutes ago, Alexis94040 said:

I found that on manual

IMG_20210525_124006.jpg

Yeah, I've just checked the manual for the UK version and it says the same thing (well, the numbers are the same, I can't read the rest haha!!)

I have no idea where they've found an extra 2 litres of capacity compared to the older 1.5 TDCI!  Seems mad to put so much oil into such a small engine as well, must take much longer to warm up, creating more emissions!  I assume these either run a cam chain or a wetbelt which would need to be bathed in oil, but an extra 2 litres seems an awful lot. 

As said above, hopefully someone else can confirm.  My answer was based on the older 1.5 TDCI and it looks like this one is different.

1.5tdcioilcap.thumb.jpg.cb679630a98e79a2d337e4e65afe7a30.jpg

4 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

the capacity from 8/2019 is 6.2l . euro 6.2 kills the oil with very frequent dpf regens. 

• Sad 2

6 minutes ago, iantt said:

the capacity from 8/2019 is 6.2l . euro 6.2 kills the oil with very frequent dpf regens. 

It's a shame those regs don't take in to account the extra oil disposal emissions.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

It's a shame those regs don't take in to account the extra oil disposal emissions.

Yes, I don't think the legislators have heard about the law of unintended consequences😀

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, iantt said:

Does this have a negative effect to the engine's reliability?

I am going to make the first oil/oil filter change at Ford's dealership at 7.500kms (4.660miles) due to continuous regs every 300-400 kms (186-248miles).

I always refuelling with the best and most expensive diesel (BP ULTIMATE etc).

Driving a lot in medium to heavy traffic conditions is a matter...

Thanks a lot for your reply!!!

Have a nice and healthy night!!!

I didn't realise it was a tractor,

I think quite a few magazines find tractor's take longer to settle in, of course the other thing could be an external leak

if you've got those miles on, when warm and engine nicely warmed through a few rips up the road to help it settle might help.  I'd do that, get the oil changed and see if it settles down by 6k miles

more oil means longer service intervals, interesting point by iantt about DPF regen...   a lot of Merc's "gain oil" as the emission system often fails to regen and owners never drive them right went told to do a long steady run....  It pumps extra fuel that it can never burn to set a fire going off in the exhaust....   when it doesn't complete through bad driving, or sensor failure it just keeps pumping more in till the sumps full of diesel

6 minutes ago, Botus said:

I didn't realise it was a tractor,

I think quite a few magazines find tractor's take longer to settle in, of course the other thing could be an external leak

if you've got those miles on, when warm and engine nicely warmed through a few rips up the road to help it settle might help.  I'd do that, get the oil changed and see if it settles down by 6k miles

more oil means longer service intervals, interesting point by iantt about DPF regen...   a lot of Merc's "gain oil" as the emission system often fails to regen and owners never drive them right went told to do a long steady run....  It pumps extra fuel that it can never burn to set a fire going off in the exhaust....   when it doesn't complete through bad driving, or sensor failure it just keeps pumping more in till the sumps full of diesel

I noticed yesterday a fifth injector fitted straight inside the DPF filter with a fuel pipeline coming from the fuel filter. I suppose, that injector makes the regens to the engine when it is needed to be using less fuel to the engine's 4 injectors for the regen. Is it correct?

5 minutes ago, Alexis94040 said:

I noticed yesterday a fifth injector fitted straight inside the DPF filter with a fuel pipeline coming from the fuel filter. I suppose, that injector makes the regens to the engine when it is needed to be using less fuel to the engine's 4 injectors for the regen. Is it correct?

Ah that's interesting.  We refer to that injector as an 'atomiser' (not sure if that'll translate).

It only used to be fitted to the 2.0 TDCI.  If the 1.5 TDCI also uses that instead of post injection, that may explain why you don't get the rising oil level that those of us with older DPFs are used to... 🤔

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TomsFocus said:

Ah that's interesting.  We refer to that injector as an 'atomiser' (not sure if that'll translate).

It only used to be fitted to the 2.0 TDCI.  If the 1.5 TDCI also uses that instead of post injection, that may explain why you don't get the rising oil level that those of us with older DPFs are used to... 🤔

I feel so lucky right now!!!😃😃

I will post some photos of the engine bay on the light of some day!

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club