Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How do I disable alarm for ferry crossing?

DonT

As title says. 2019 Focus Estate Tiranium X. How do I disable the alarm during a ferry crossing?

Cheers

I thought locking the car manually with the key did it....

If not, don't worry. Brand new ish car can handle its alarm going off for 40 minutes, no drama or flat battery

4 hours ago, m50e30 said:

I thought locking the car manually with the key did it....

If not, don't worry. Brand new ish car can handle its alarm going off for 40 minutes, no drama or flat battery

Pretty sure they are limited by statute to 20 minutes of operation. After that, it's perfectly legal to thump the car with a large sledgehammer LOL 🤣

• Like 1

Doesn't the Focus give you the option to switch to a less sensitive mode when leaving the car, my Ecosport does it disables the motion sensor.

• Like 1

It's all in the manual provide by ford when you got the car

The  menu accessed via steering wheel buttons

Screen Shot 2021-05-23 at 11.32.06.jpeg

• Like 3

20 hours ago, DonT said:

As title says. 2019 Focus Estate Tiranium X. How do I disable the alarm during a ferry crossing?

Would leaving it unlocked disable the alarm?

8 hours ago, Carl123 said:

Would leaving it unlocked disable the alarm?

Locks itself after a few minutes, there will be a way around that though I’m sure. 

9 hours ago, Alex.S said:

Locks itself after a few minutes, there will be a way around that though I’m sure. 

It will only lock itself again if you don't open a door, when you unlock it, open a door, close it again, and it will remain unlocked and un alarmed.

• Like 2

Speaking as someone who has used many diffrent ferry crossings and with diffrent vehicles (including a Ford Transit and Ford Mondeo) I have to ask the question why.

Why do you want to have the alarm system switched off ? Are you expecting that the movement of the ferry is in some way going to activate the alarm, because it won't. I can say with total confidence that almost every single vehicle on the ferry will be locked and alarmed and yes there will be one or possibly two vehicles whos alarm will go off but that is normally because they left a window part open or the dog is in the car, or both !

If you are concernd about the internal sensors being triggerd then just select 'Part Set' on the menu before leaving the car.

• Like 4

• 5 weeks later...

I didn’t have any windows open on my fiesta and the alarm went off on the ferry to the Isle of Wight so still looking for the way to disable the alarm

Hi John, I assume this is not a major priority after 5 weeks.

53 minutes ago, Kreases said:

I didn’t have any windows open

Did you close the Air Vents inside ?

it has been fairly well established by those on this forum that you can not lock the vehicle and not have the alarm on. So option one is don't lock the car and leave it open and therefore the alarm will not be on, or option two, select 'Part Set' from the vehicles settings before locking the car. With the Part Set option the only thing that is going to trigger the alarm is a door, boot or bonnet being opened. It might also be triggered if the vehicle is jacked up at the front and towed.

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

In response for why you would disable an alarm for a ferry crossing - I’m ex crew and there’s 2 reasons from my experience…both relating to longer passages / overnight sailings. 
The movement of the vessel triggers the vehicle alarms, this after a 12 hour sailing used to result in various flat batteries on arrival and causing delays to other vehicles driving off the car decks. 
Secondly, you get a lot of tired passengers whose cabins are located near to / above the decks, woke up at various times to a chorus of car alarms. 
For security / safety, during a voyage, passengers are forbidden to access the car decks, ie to then turn them off. 

• Like 2

On 3/25/2022 at 5:11 PM, Soulcat said:

In response for why you would disable an alarm for a ferry crossing - I’m ex crew and there’s 2 reasons from my experience…both relating to longer passages / overnight sailings. 
The movement of the vessel triggers the vehicle alarms, this after a 12 hour sailing used to result in various flat batteries on arrival and causing delays to other vehicles driving off the car decks. 
Secondly, you get a lot of tired passengers whose cabins are located near to / above the decks, woke up at various times to a chorus of car alarms. 
For security / safety, during a voyage, passengers are forbidden to access the car decks, ie to then turn them off. 

Stephen. Unfortunately, the question I asked was "how do you disable.....", not "why do you disable....".

Thanks for replying though. It appears the only way to disable the alarm is to leave the doors unlocked. Rubbish design imo.

Don

21 minutes ago, DonT said:

Stephen. Unfortunately, the question I asked was "how do you disable.....", not "why do you disable....".

Thanks for replying though. It appears the only way to disable the alarm is to leave the doors unlocked. Rubbish design imo.

Don

Brand new cars get transported on trains & ferries every day.  Makes me wonder whether they leave those unlocked?  Or is it part of a 'delivery mode' that can be activated somehow?

Modern cars use tilt sensors as part of the alarm system which are presumably easy to trigger on a ferry, whereas older ones never did.

10 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Modern cars use tilt sensors as part of the alarm system which are presumably easy to trigger on a ferry, whereas older ones never did.

That takes me back LOL In 1985, my XR3i boot light went faulty as it had a tilt sensor in the tailgate that activated it, which had failed. The dealer had to complete special paperwork to get a new one as they were limited for importation to NI as they were often used as trigger devices for bombs!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

limited for importation to NI as they were often used as trigger devices for bombs!

adds a whole new dimension to EcoBOOM cars !! 🤣

On 3/28/2022 at 1:09 PM, StephenFord said:

often used as trigger devices for bombs!

Is it true Semtex smells of marzipan? I think we (in Scotland) only had one bomb throughout the troubles. Simply cause both sides had a lot of support in west of Scotland. 

16 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

Is it true Semtex smells of marzipan? I think we (in Scotland) only had one bomb throughout the troubles. Simply cause both sides had a lot of support in west of Scotland. 

Now, what on earth makes you think I know what Semtex smells of?? LOL 🤣 Now, from 'others', I believe that's largely a myth as it can be differently formulated. It can range from no odour, to 'motor oil', to marzipan. Genuine marzipan was sometimes added to fake bombs to make them more frightening! (So I'm told!!). The aftermath of an exploded bomb is unmistakable though, and a tear gas canister is still quite potent when picked up in the debris of a riot even the day after! LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, StephenFord said:

Now, what on earth makes you think I know what Semtex smells of?? LOL

sorry stupid question, it’s C-4 these days ….

• 1 month later...
On 5/24/2021 at 9:31 AM, unofix said:

Speaking as someone who has used many diffrent ferry crossings and with diffrent vehicles (including a Ford Transit and Ford Mondeo) I have to ask the question why.

Why do you want to have the alarm system switched off ? Are you expecting that the movement of the ferry is in some way going to activate the alarm, because it won't. I can say with total confidence that almost every single vehicle on the ferry will be locked and alarmed and yes there will be one or possibly two vehicles whos alarm will go off but that is normally because they left a window part open or the dog is in the car, or both !

If you are concernd about the internal sensors being triggerd then just select 'Part Set' on the menu before leaving the car.

Hello 

Yes modern cars have inclination sensors and they do go off on ferries.  Maybe Ford Mondeo (how out of date) didn’t.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club