Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1yr old Titanium in demand from Dealer. Offered me a new ST-Line for more than i'm currently paying.

chlbutterworth

Hi, 

So i've got a 1yr old 1.0 Auto Titanium Fiesta that's only done 3350 miles since i got it last year (thanks covid). Recently the dealer has contacted me multiple times to let me know that my car is in demand. I gave them a call and they said the valuation of my car is just slightly over the remainder of my PCP agreement. They can offer me a new hybrid ST-Line with all the options for £70 a month more (£289).

I've basically had a 1yr test drive of the fiesta, I know I like it and there isn't another car in my price range that would meet my needs. Is this a good deal, or should I try and haggle it down some more? They need the car more than I need to change it.

You have pretty much answered your own question. They need your car more than you need to change, get them to make it more attractive. Get them to throw in a service plan, mats, mud flaps and a full tank of fuel too.  

30 minutes ago, Jonro2009 said:

You have pretty much answered your own question. They need your car more than you need to change, get them to make it more attractive. Get them to throw in a service plan, mats, mud flaps and a full tank of fuel too.  

Took the words right out of my mouth 🙂

or maybe they are jiggling figures to encourage you to enter into another financed sale

Lol when I first saw the topic I misread it as new ST-Line for less, which would have been good!😀

I believe the "standard" Titanium is no longer available with auto, only the X. Similarly with the ST-Line, so presumably they are offering you an ST-L X auto.

So (assuming your Titanium is standard spec), you would be going from 16" wheels to 18" with lower/firmer suspension, and harder ride. Are you ok with that?

Assuming you are interested in a change at this point, I'd be inclined to confirm the exact model and spec they're offering and then see what's on offer elsewhere, I believe any dealer could settle your PCP and arrange a new one.

As @Chainsawcharliementions, they get money for selling finance, and they want to do a deal, not you, so why should you pay another £70 per month to suit them, (unless of course you would particularly like the car on offer)?

• Like 1

Hi Eric, I couldn't have put that any better myself 👍

The garage is not in business to do people favors, they are in business to make as much profit as they can.

• Like 2

Just out of general interest is your Ford Butterworth diesel or petrol 🤣

Ford Butterworth.JPG

• Haha 1

The Ford garage that I bought my car from are always sending me emails offering me great deals on the car I bought from them a year ago.   They are just trying to drum up business.

• Like 1

They do this all the time, I guarantee they have a Client looking for the car you have, it’s happened to me before 

30 minutes ago, Bobr said:

The Ford garage that I bought my car from are always sending me emails offering me great deals on the car I bought from them a year ago.   They are just trying to drum up business.

Luckily I don't get that from my local Ford dealer, which is probably because it's still a family owned business, not part of Amalgamated Conglomerates!

did get that from the SEAT dealer where I bought my previous car, though. Endless calls (from multiple numbers) plus emails several times a week, which have only recently stopped (despite me complaining several times) and it's over 3 years since I owned the car. The really infuriating thing was that at one point I was interested in changing the car and arranged an appointment when the appropriate manager was supposed to be available to value my car, and the car I was interested in was available to drive. When I turned up for the appointment, the guy I was supposed to see was on holiday, and I was fobbed off with someone else who showed less interest than a bank account and then I found the car I was supposed to be driving wasn't there either!

An object lesson in how not to foster customer loyalty!

So the dealer wants you to stump up a further £960 per year. 

If they really want to do a deal then have it on your terms that are already there but add a further year on to your existing deal. 

An ST-Line is worse anyway...less spec, less comfortable, and you'd have to pay extra for that!?  :whistling:

Tell them to make it a Vignale and for just £50 more... :wink:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

An ST-Line is worse anyway...less spec, less comfortable, and you'd have to pay extra for that!? 

Not sure if that's really true now, Tom, an ST-L X has got more "stuff" than a base Titanium (which you can't get with auto now) particularly as they quietly removed the climate from the Titanium some time back. ST-L X is pretty similar to Titanium X, apart from only having part plastic (sorry, "Sensico" ) seats rather than full. Spec of the Vignale has also "shrunk" a bit since the Mk 8 came out.

Comfort-wise they all seem to be pretty much the same basic seat apart from the ST, so it's a matter of if you can cope with the firmer ride of the ST-L X or not. I don't have a problem, but my early car has 17s not the 18s standard now. Not sure how much difference that makes, not driven an ST-L on 18s, only the ST, but the suspension on that is firmer still of course.

I love the look of the ST, and often think, I should have gone for an ST instead of the Vignale........but then I think of my Haemorrhoids and what the firmer ride would do , not to mention having some young shaver called Nigel pulling up next to me at the lights every 5 minutes wanting a race 🙂 🙂

48 minutes ago, Chainsawcharlie said:

I love the look of the ST, and often think, I should have gone for an ST instead of the Vignale........but then I think of my Haemorrhoids and what the firmer ride would do , not to mention having some young shaver called Nigel pulling up next to me at the lights every 5 minutes wanting a race 🙂 🙂

Lol, I sympathise - something we have in common with Napoleon apparently!😀  Trouble with young shavers (called Nigel or otherwise) is they can't seem to tell the difference between an ST-L and a full fat ST so keep wanting a race anyway!😀

11 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Not sure if that's really true now, Tom, an ST-L X has got more "stuff" than a base Titanium (which you can't get with auto now) particularly as they quietly removed the climate from the Titanium some time back. ST-L X is pretty similar to Titanium X, apart from only having part plastic (sorry, "Sensico" ) seats rather than full. Spec of the Vignale has also "shrunk" a bit since the Mk 8 came out.

Comfort-wise they all seem to be pretty much the same basic seat apart from the ST, so it's a matter of if you can cope with the firmer ride of the ST-L X or not. I don't have a problem, but my early car has 17s not the 18s standard now. Not sure how much difference that makes, not driven an ST-L on 18s, only the ST, but the suspension on that is firmer still of course.

I thought this thread was about Titanium and ST-Line?  Neither have been confirmed as X's (yet at least), though I admit I skimmed the thread and missed your earlier post about auto availability!  Although my post was a little tongue in cheek, I can't really see any point in swapping a Titanium for an ST-Line, they're different cars for a different audience.  If it is an STLX then I could understand a little better...but there's still a comfort discrepancy between them that's likely to be noticed by the usual Titanium driver, and the TX would be a better option imo.

I didn't know they'd dropped climate from the Titanium, that's a bit naughty!  

(PS - I don't think there have been any 'young' Nigels since the 90's...  I certainly don't know any millennial Nigels! :laugh: )

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I thought this thread was about Titanium and ST-Line? 

Umm, me too, sort of!😀 We don't really know what the OP was offered, I'm only guessing it was an ST-L X from the fact that he has an auto now and you can't get it on the basic ST-L these days.

I made the point about ride comfort differences in my earlier post, of course.

It seems we have to watch specs very carefully these days. I still tend to assume Titanium is pretty "posh" from the old days, but now on Fiesta it's one above base. They've been very sneaky about dropping stuff in the last couple of years as we know - mult-link and the 1.5 on the Focus, no climate on Fiesta Titanium, no pan roof on the Vignale, and now apparently rear drums in place of discs (though there may be some logic to that one, with the MHEV regen braking effect)..

If I do buy another Ford I shall read the spec/order guide very, very carefully, though it seems from other forums where I lurk occasionally other manufacturers are doing pretty much the same. 

• Like 1

Offering you less than settlement isn't really a good deal??

Make them work for it, tell them you want exactly the same spec or more (so that would be a Titanium X now as Titanium has lost spec) in auto, for the same, or less than what you're paying now.

Or keep what you've got.

A colleague mentioned to me that Ford credit had contacted his son, who is 30 months in, offering him £500 to hand the car back now, no costs for mileage or condition. When I got him to look at the figures, then check the car's worth on webuyloadsofdodgycrap.com he was basically being offered £8700 for a car with a trade in value of £11350.

It's a seller's market at the moment, especially nearly new.

26 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

It seems we have to watch specs very carefully these days. I still tend to assume Titanium is pretty "posh" from the old days, but now on Fiesta it's one above base.

Titanium was only very briefly posh! :laugh: 

Mk2.5 Focus Titanium didn't get cruise or climate as standard...  The USP was basically the auto wiper, light and auto-dimming mirror pack.  Only bought mine as it had the options of xenons, tints, full leathers and powerfold mirrors...and could add cruise easily myself.  The lack of climate always annoyed me though.

Mk3 Titanium was quite well specced, as was the Mk7.5 Fiesta iirc!  So that's a few years of poshness...  Not forgetting the chrome grill trims of course, almost up to Vanden Plas levels!

As you say, it's common with all manufacturers nowadays though.  I've mentioned in other threads that the Mk8 Golf has lost the bonnet struts compared to previous models.  It's also lost the cupholder cover in the centre so the cupholder will always be full of crumbs and dust and just generally 'noticeable' which is odd considering the lengths they've gone to to remove all the buttons for a smooth look.  The square gearknob is also not very comfortable in the hand.  The Mk7 lost the floor pivot throttle pedal, and the auto light switch with 'auto' at the top, so now it's annoyingly off-centre.  The light and wiper stalks became less ergonomically sculpted compared to the older versions as well.  And obviously the biggest thing was dropping IRS on smaller engines a few years ago, long before Ford did.  Tech seems to improve over the years, but other things seem to get a little worse... :g:

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

Mk2.5 Focus Titanium didn't get cruise or climate as standard... 

Lol, I fell for that one myself! When swapping from a Mk 7 Fiesta Titanium which had climate I assumed the Focus 2.5 Titanium must have it and didn't check! But it did have heated (cloth) seats. Bizarre!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Lol, I fell for that one myself! When swapping from a Mk 7 Fiesta Titanium which had climate I assumed the Focus 2.5 Titanium must have it and didn't check! But it did have heated (cloth) seats. Bizarre!

Tbf, the heated seats weren’t even standard on them until later in the production run. Been looking at a few for a mate, and very few have the heated seats except 59 and 10 reg ones.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dtulip8 said:

Tbf, the heated seats weren’t even standard on them until later in the production run. Been looking at a few for a mate, and very few have the heated seats except 59 and 10 reg ones.

Even rarer to find them with full leathers!!  Still the best seats I've had in any car so far I think. 😮 

4 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Even rarer to find them with full leathers!!  Still the best seats I've had in any car so far I think. 😮 

Yep, only ever seen one or two of those for sale (and yours of course).

3 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

That is true, I’ve seen a few 61 reg’s and even a 12 plate!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Lol, I sympathise - something we have in common with Napoleon apparently!😀  Trouble with young shavers (called Nigel or otherwise) is they can't seem to tell the difference between an ST-L and a full fat ST so keep wanting a race anyway!😀

Haha, yes I have had that a couple of times recently, very recently.

The first was on the way to work very early one morning, it was a 65 plate Corsa of all things, even had stick on bonnet vents..... actually tried the overtake as well.

The second was a newish Ford Transit last week. The sort of occasion you have a mile behind you with no traffic whatsoever and then see the white transit van day lights closing the gap between yourself and him/her rapidly....... gets close enough to be wanting to use my fuel for a few seconds and then yes, the moment is there, he swings out into the other lane for the overtake.

Neither made the manoeuvre successfully.🤭

Edit.... forgot to mention I have seen the Corsa at least once since and it must be a very special edition as it has the...... Transformers badge on the boot!

• Haha 1

I think that rather than stripping out the Titanium, the badge has been moved to a lower specification model. My 2017 is very well specified with climate, cruise and all the driver "aids". I had to fit the rear view camera but everything else was there. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club