Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus 2020 1.5 diesel auto adblue consumption

dodso

I was surprised to find my 1.5 ecoblue auto, manufactured in Nov '20, required adblue (I didn't see any reference to this in the specification or the owners manual).

I was even more surprised to find that it only seems to be doing about 1800mls to a full tank (10.1L according to the manual)!

Can anybody who owns the 1.5 ecoblue auto and requires Adblue comment on how many miles they are getting out of the tank?

Blimey, that's a surprise as the manual, well my 2019 at least, doesn't have adblue.

When did that come in??

Neither does mine. Thought the Adblue addition was only for the 2 litre version ?

1 hour ago, dodso said:

I was surprised to find my 1.5 ecoblue auto, manufactured in Nov '20, required adblue (I didn't see any reference to this in the specification or the owners manual).

I was even more surprised to find that it only seems to be doing about 1800mls to a full tank (10.1L according to the manual)!

Can anybody who owns the 1.5 ecoblue auto and requires Adblue comment on how many miles they are getting out of the tank?

Hello dodso!!!

My November 2020 Ford Focus Ecoblue 1,5 lt with the 120hp has a blue cap next to diesel refuelling hole that writes 'ADBLUE' on it.

Ford dealership told me that it has an autonomy of 7.500 km (4.660 miles) and it also has a virtual gauge on the info screen same as the analogic gauges for water temp and fuel tank.

I will send you some photo if you like to be more specific!

The quantity of the rest ADBLUE remaining to the tank is for about 1.100 miles left to drive.

I now have 6.000 kms (3.800 miles) on the odo and ADBLUE consumption looks just fine to me!!!

Did your car messaged you for adding ADBLUE?

• Like 1

Hi Alexis, yes I’ve had it refilled once at about l800m (about 9L of adblue) the dash said 100 odd miles to go - can’t remember the exact figure. 

Now on 2900m and dash says adblue low 768m to go - so I’m estimating about 1800-2000m to full tank of adblue. This consumption seems really high!

im assuming the auto must consume significantly more adblue than the manual version?

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, dodso said:

Hi Alexis, yes I’ve had it refilled once at about l800m (about 9L of adblue) the dash said 100 odd miles to go - can’t remember the exact figure. 

Now on 2900m and dash says adblue low 768m to go - so I’m estimating about 1800-2000m to full tank of adblue. This consumption seems really high!

im assuming the auto must consume significantly more adblue than the manual version?

I do not think that auto or manual gearbox has any relationship with the ADBLUE consumption.

You obviously have higher than the average ADBLUE consumption!!!

Did you filled it up correctly with no air inside it?

Was it a warm day that you topped it up?Air bubbles are a problem, make you think that it is full!!

The other solution is to check  the software (ECU) of your car to the dealership with the help of an OBD2 diagnose computer system (excuse me for my poor english i am Greek)

You might have a software issue and not a hardware one.

Time to refill mine is closing...I will share my experience with you!!!

Get your car to the dealership because it might go to safe mode with unexpected consequences!!!

The amount of Adblue being used will depend on the type of journey and your driving style.

It might also be worth while to find out if the Focus has a minimum amount required to Start or restart if the Adblue level is getting low.

• Like 1

drive hard / or high speed it drinks the stuff,  gentle use, constant throttle uses much less.... how full was it when u got it ???

miles will depend on the tank size (these days for emissions it will be small - less weight), a WV 2 litre tractor with a big tank ripping it will do 7k miles to empty, drive in ways its not used, might see 15,000.  Dealer will pretend 20,000 is possible

For those not aware.... you can't drive without this stuff it will shutdown to protect the ad blu system.... Usually best to fill full at first warning (but check the handbook).  If you try going to the wire you may find the car will not restart and if the forecourt doesn't have any, don't forget your walking boots

• Like 1

I should have stated that the adblue was refilled at the dealership, as part of a courtesy check of the vehicle which they offered when I purchased it. I assumed that it just hadn’t been filled up fully in the first place when it was handed over to me (this is what I told the dealer as well - I asked for them to fill it up because it was nearly empty after less than 1800 miles, indicating that it may not have been filled properly in the first place and they obliged without questioning).

When they give it back to me it was showing as full on the dash with an indicated range of 1800 miles. I was hoping this was inaccurate and this range would climb up! having now done 1100 miles since with the dash indicating 700 odd to go, it looks like the initial projected range is pretty accurate - about 1800 miles to 10L of adblue.

Looks like it’s something I will just have to live with!

I would still be interested to know what range people are getting from adblue though if they have the same configuation me, the activex estate 1.5 ecoblue auto - so please feel free to indulge me if you have this!

Mine is the 2ltr engine not the 1.5 and I recently filled up the adblue.  The range showed as 7000 miles after filling it with 8.5 litres so either the smaller engine uses a lot more of the stuff of there is something wrong with yours.  Its only a fiver to fill up, so not really a cost issue, but worth making sure its not having a bad effect on the engine of dpf by pumping that much fluid into it.

• Like 1

Mine the 2.0D auto and I get about 5000miles to 10 litres and I have a bit of a lead foot.

Thanks for the info, I’m going to call the dealer about this and see what they say.

I’m not worried about the cost, just the inconvenience and annoyance of having not long filling up and it feeling like the dash is binging at me straight away. It starts doing this at 1000 miles to go so I’d only covered 700-800 miles before it started giving me the warning again!

• 2 years later...

This topic is interesting because I bought a used 2019 Focus Estate 2l 150bhp Ecoblue last Sept 2022 with about 40K miles on it. I tow a caravan and Adblue consumption is about 90miles/ltr when towing which seems very high.

I had topped up the Adblue to full and journey was 170 miles towing a 2 berth caravan. At start the ablue range was 2750 miles at destination it was showing 1600 miles and slightly above 3/4 in the Adblue tank. So I'd say it had used about 2 litres. 

When towing I get about 30mpg

• 2 months later...

Bought new 72 plate focus 1.5 auto, i am only getting 2 to 2.5k per fill up, when we first had the car it said 5k miles now when it is filled up it shows 3k after 100 miles drops to 2.5k, so far we have filled it up 5 times car done 15k, it`s so ramdom.

The dirtier the DPF, the more you will use ADblue.

If you're only doing short journeys you will use more

• 1 month later...
On 6/22/2023 at 12:53 PM, BonnyRock said:

This topic is interesting because I bought a used 2019 Focus Estate 2l 150bhp Ecoblue last Sept 2022 with about 40K miles on it. I tow a caravan and Adblue consumption is about 90miles/ltr when towing which seems very high.

I had topped up the Adblue to full and journey was 170 miles towing a 2 berth caravan. At start the ablue range was 2750 miles at destination it was showing 1600 miles and slightly above 3/4 in the Adblue tank. So I'd say it had used about 2 litres. 

When towing I get about 30mpg

I have the same car. Have owned now for almost 3 years. Mainly used for commuting, 60 miles per day, dual-carriageway driving and was returning around 5000miles per 10Litres of Adblue.

Started towing a caravan this year and on our 3rd trip something strange started with the AD-Blue / Exhaust Sound?

My ad -Blue Level shows just under half full but range is at 400 miles!?

I put in 5 litres a month ago and have only returned around a 1000 miles, less than half of what was 'normal'?

The strange thing is, the engine now sounds louder almost as if the exhaust has a hole?

A local mechanic checked it over and exhaust is sound but he reckons the Ad-Blue Pump is either partially blocked or getting 'gunged' up.

Can anyone comment?

Is there an easy resolution or would I have to go back to Ford? 

Warranty ran out in Feb!

Thanks!