Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ELECTRIC MIRROR FAULT..WONT FOLD ON LOCKING/OPENING

powerbow1415

hi guys...really enjoying my Mondeo..been faultless until today.

just returned from having a puncture sorted...asked the mechanic to look at the above issue which occurred while at the garage, he could not figure it out, so gonna ask the forum here.🙂

as you know, when locking/unlocking the car, the wing mirrors automatically fold in and out respectively...until today...had to manually force them out, not something i felt comfortable doing, but i had no choice. so now they are staying out.

i checked the fuse in the fuse box under the passenger seat, (no 2 fuse, 7.5v), could not see any breakage.

i am puzzled as to why it just happened, no warning on the fault screen etc...i have looked at all aspects of the in-car menu and cannot find anything to sort it.

any thoughts/solutions guys?.

cheers team🙂👍

I don't like the sound of this

15 minutes ago, powerbow1415 said:

had to manually force them out

Apart from both mirrors would not fold out when the car was unlocked you physically forced them out ! oh dear !

Did you try the mirror fold/unfold button on the drivers door ? It sounds to me like the mirrors had been folded in using the button on the drivers door which means then they won't unfold when the car is unlocked since the car assumes it maybe in a tight space like a garage. To get the mirrors working fully again normally you just unlock the car turn on the ignition and use the button on the drivers door to unfold the mirrors.

What happens now when you use the button on the drivers door ?

hi unofix...just tried your suggestion.....nothing my friend...the mechanic tried this while we was checking the operation of the mirrors...i only did the forcing bit after he had tried the door controls.

I fear that forcing the mirrors may have caused mechanical damage.

Try GENTLY manaually folding the mirrors back in again and then use the button to unfold (ignition needs to be on).

Does the mirror glass still move up/down left/right ?

i forced the mirrors, after the door buttons where tried by the mechanic, not before.

ignition at number 2 position, engine not running?....the car will be unlocked, should i be gently trying to get the mirrors back in, even in unlocked mode?.

so dont try to fold them back in, in "locked" mode, yes? 

mirrors movement still operates properly.

fold them in with car unlocked. Ignition can be off while you manually fold the mirrors in

car in unlocked mode....GENTLY eased the mirrors to the folded ,(locked),position...couple of clicks as each was folded.....turned ignition to position 2...tried door buttons, nothing...mirror adjustment still works normally

Hi Colin, well it may still not be working but at least it sounds like the mirrors went back ok. It is begining to look like a module fault. I will see what info I can find on your model

thanks unofix, appreciate it.....i am no mechanic, but if it is a module fault, are the modules those square looking things in the fuse box along with the mini-fuses?.  

Yes, it should be Brown. See the picture I've posted in the thread above

thanks mate...i cannot see any image...would you be able to send it again here please.

seen it mate....if it is the module, dont wanna be doing that, job for a pro'...i will probably end up electrocuting myself😆

just, curious...if it is a module issue, how much would one likely cost, and would i need just the module or any addition components please.

is there a part no?

cheers mate

Very rough cost about £20, it just plugs in

so no wiring?...your image above, showed wiring connected to it

The wiring is just to the relay (module) plug. It just unplugs from the brown relay base and its as they say "Plug and Play"

No wiring involved 🙂

cool mate, got it..so all one is doing is replacing the base that the module plug plugs into🙂...is this module under the engine fuse box?

Thats it 👍

🙂👍

gonna replace the 7.5v fuse with a new one first, to see it that helps, the fuse is not blown..the fuse i took out looks a bit rough...maybe that will solve the problem without having to lift out the fuse box to access the module...i have also read that fuses have a "shelf-life"?.

• Haha 1

Hi Colin, a fuse is a bit of wire in a holder. It either works or it is broken (blown), you don't get a half kind of working fuse. Also no fuse has a shelf life, they last forever or until overloaded and then they blow. If fuses had a shelf life the world would be in more trouble than it already is, think of the 100's of millions of fuses all reaching their 'use by date,

Also I think you will find the fuse is 7.5A

yes, i know its a 7.5 amp fuse👍... i thought..a fuse with a shelf life?..odd....just goes to show, dont believe everything you read on the web😄.

just looking for tips on how to properly move to one side, the engine fuse box to access the module...cant see anything of real use on utube, but thats my only source of info.

i have all weekend this weekend, so i will take my time, so as i do it right...when moved to one side, i should see the module i am wanting to change..with a lot of jobs of this sort, fixing the problem is easy, its just getting access to it that can take the time.

• Like 1

Hi guys…finally got access to the base of the fuse box..all I am seeing is what is in the photo…just terminals under the caps, no module.

image.jpg

On the passenger’s side, open and remove the glove box. This job is simple in theory but gentle persuasion is required. Be careful not to break the retaining clips - they’re only plastic. If they do break, they are available at the main dealer.

Once the glove box is removed, the fuse box is clearly visible. The mirror folding module, (or if you want to call it, relay) is brown in color and is located under the main fuse rack.

FMirrors-3.jpg

Remove the insulation pad from under the fuse rack. With a small flat screwdriver, remove the blue connector first and then the brown connector. They just slide on, but there is a retaining lip which prevents the connector from sliding off. A small inspection torch is useful at this time. The mirror module should drop down for closer inspection. The wire that is required is the black/red one.

FMirrors-4.jpg

Hi unofix…my PSide fuse box is accessible, without removing the glove box, it is just below it…unless there is another behind the glove box,(how many fuse boxes does this car have?!😄)…so I had no need to spend 90 mins getting the engine fuse box shifted…that’s where I was told that it was…I will remove the glove box tomorrow…why do I need to remove the blue module first?…maybe I misread your comment above about the black/red wire?, but I was just going to disconnect the old module and connect the replacement, “plug and play”.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club