Do Not Sell My Personal Information

LPG Focus 1.0 ecoboost

Bol

Anyone tried lpg on focus 1.0 ecoboost? What is your opinion?

Would that ever be cost effective ?

I see you are not in the UK so it might be worth it in your country but here in the UK the cost of conversion would mean the car would have do a lot of miles before it broke even, so it might be the case that a diesel engine would be more cost effetive.

The other thing is about the engine. Could the conversion harm the engine? What is your opinion?

OMG, how many years does this myth exist that an LPG conversion will harm an engine - IT WON'T!! I ran an LPG converted Mercedes C class for 2 years, it had the conversion done when new so had been running for 15 years prior to me getting my hands on it. The best feeling I ever got was filling it up with LPG and going in to pay the cashier £25 odd! There was NO difference in car performance form petrol/LPG, and the automatic switchover from petrol to LPG once the engine warms up (after about 1 or 2 miles) is seamless. If the sums make sense to you, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend LPG!

I also have a fiesta lpg converted seven years ago. It runs well and it is economic. Focus is a different car, though, mechanical valves (fiesta has hydraulic), direct fuel injection, turbo, and ecoboost three cylinder technology.Mine is remaped.  That is why i am asking about your opinion, it there are any issues.

1 minute ago, Bol said:

I also have a fiesta lpg converted seven years ago. It runs well and it is economic. Focus is a different car, though, mechanical valves (fiesta has hydraulic), direct fuel injection, turbo, and ecoboost three cylinder technology.Mine is remaped.  That is why i am asking about your opinion, it there are any issues.

Ask a reliable LPG installer - it's not in their interest to install a system to a car that is not suitable...

First recommended lpg system vialle other recommended lpg system prins.Prices are about 1500 Euros/1290.90000 B.pounds to 3000 Euros/2581.80000 to make the convertion.

19 minutes ago, Bol said:

First recommended lpg system vialle other recommended lpg system prins.Prices are about 1500 Euros/1290.90000 B.pounds to 3000 Euros/2581.80000 to make the convertion.

I'm guessing one installer is the agent for Vialle, the other installer is an agent for Prins LOL 🤣 Only you can tell if it's worth it...

The 1.0 ECOboost is not particularly the best choice to convert to LPG.

The 1.0 ECOboost is known to run quite hot (considerably hotter than other engine types). The internal combustion temperature is already pretty high on petrol and will even be higher on LPG because LPG burns considerable hotter than petrol. The cooling system (which is already a point of concern on this engine) will be put under even more stress to cope with the increased internal combustion temperature.

The solid valve tappets are another concern. Solid valve tappets will not compensate for valve/valve seat wear that is quite common on LPG converted engines that were not designed for LPG. To prevent premature valve/valve seat damage it is highly recommended to check the valve clearance periodically (which is quite a lot of work). If the valve clearance is out of tolerance it needs to be corrected which in case of a 1.0 ECOboost basically means that the wetbelt needs to be removed/replaced and the camshafts needs to be removed.

Considering the installation costs and increased maintenance costs in my opinion an LPG conversion is only profitable on very high annual mileages.

• Like 3

Thank you all for the answers.So are there any known/certain issues/problems regarding focus' converion to lpg? Is there someone who tried or had it?

Have there been many lpg conversions in Britain? Are there many reports of issues? What about the ecoboost?

19 minutes ago, Bol said:

Have there been many lpg conversions in Britain? Are there many reports of issues? What about the ecoboost?

"As of April 2018, an Autogas spokesperson estimated that there were 120,000 vehicles converted to run on LPG in the UK, with some 4000 undergoing the conversion each year, which amounted to just 0.2% of road use.."

Isn't Google clever LOL

• Like 1

There are many, but not too many, most of the cars are not converted (until now). So to find a lpg converted focus 1.0 ecoboost, even other ecoboosts is rare. Here many cars perhaps more than 10% are lpg converted. But until now no converted ecoboosts were found, especially the 1.0 version.

With respect, if you are that scared of getting a proper LPG conversion carried out on your car, don't! You'll sleep easier at night just running it on petrol...

Just searching (before the decision).

What about converting it to 'Red Bull'......... it would give you wings !! 🤣

• Haha 3

• 8 months later...
On 5/31/2021 at 6:44 PM, JW1982 said:

The 1.0 ECOboost is not particularly the best choice to convert to LPG.

The 1.0 ECOboost is known to run quite hot (considerably hotter than other engine types). The internal combustion temperature is already pretty high on petrol and will even be higher on LPG because LPG burns considerable hotter than petrol. The cooling system (which is already a point of concern on this engine) will be put under even more stress to cope with the increased internal combustion temperature.

The solid valve tappets are another concern. Solid valve tappets will not compensate for valve/valve seat wear that is quite common on LPG converted engines that were not designed for LPG. To prevent premature valve/valve seat damage it is highly recommended to check the valve clearance periodically (which is quite a lot of work). If the valve clearance is out of tolerance it needs to be corrected which in case of a 1.0 ECOboost basically means that the wetbelt needs to be removed/replaced and the camshafts needs to be removed.

Considering the installation costs and increased maintenance costs in my opinion an LPG conversion is only profitable on very high annual mileages.

This statement is absolute garbage...The 1.0 ECOboost is known to run quite hot (considerably hotter than other engine types). The internal combustion temperature is already pretty high on petrol.

• Confused 2

There are many tuned fiesta and focus that reached 150-160 hp on first stage and plenty that reached 170hp on second stage.

That engine seems that it endures enough and it is designed to work on very hot conditions.

If the lpg system is suitable, the istallation is proper and service is in time there should not be any issues or damage.

When it is installed and tested the result shall be reported.

20 minutes ago, Bol said:

Using lpg if the lpg system is suitable, the istallation is proper and service is in time there should not be any issue or damage.

When it is installed and tried i shall report the result.

Wouldn't worry about hearsay statements, most will emanate from folk who have never run an LPG car in their lives LOL Looking forward to reading about your eventual installing and successful running of your car....

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, F0CUE said:

Get one of these and run it from Irn bru 😂

image.png.c35464ed65cc91118b1d2a4f3c8c80dd.png

Hey, that's from my Flux Capacitor stock, wondered where it had gone to! 🤣

• Haha 3

Thought this was an old thread...see it was started last year.

I've no experience of a 1.0 being converted to lpg but did have my old Mondeo ST24 (2.5 V6) converted and ran that for about 7 years until the car died (gearbox and other problems). In the main it was ok but I had problems with spark plugs, HT leads and coil pack. Had to change plugs more often and tried to get cooler plugs but never got round to it, could probably argue that HT leads and coil pack might be normal failures. 

Would I do it again? No. I have a diesel now and wouldn't if I got a petrol car again.

Would you save much on a 1.0? how long will that take to recoup the cost? As you've had a previous car converted I'm sure you've done the sums.

• Like 2

Perhaps the installation was not properly done or the system was not suitable for that car.

In four years or maybe less the cost will propably be recouped.

Fiesta 1.3 still runs with lpg just fine.

If a car travels more than at least 10000 kilometres or miles per year then a lpg conversation would save a lot of money.

What system did Mondeo have? Perhaps the cause of those proplems were not from the lpg system.

Think it was a Romano multi point system. From memory it took me 3 years to break even on the £1666 I paid for the conversion.(Conversion done in 2006).

Don't get me wrong, it was ok and I saved a lot of money compared to petrol...when I looked at replacing the car I did the sums and worked out that I needed the diesel to average 38-39 mpg to make it similar on cost to lpg/petrol (as petrol is still required). Hence I have a 2.2 (200ps) diesel that averages 40mpg 😁

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club