Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK4 door handle - Is this correct or something missing ?

DonnyMark

Hi, 

Just checking this is the correct finish inside the drivers door handle or is there some trim or something missing, the silver part just looks unfinished as if there should be a cap or cover on it to finish it off ? 

Thanks

Handle.JPG

• Like 1

That's how it is supposed to be.

It's protection for the key barrel from being drilled, etc.

OK thanks for letting me know. 

That looks awful tbh!  They could have at least painted it body colour.  :unsure: 

It's covered by the handle most of the time, you only see it when you pull on the handle

14 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

It's covered by the handle most of the time, you only see it when you pull on the handle

Well, I don't know about you, but I tend to pull the handle every time I get in the car... :laugh: 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Well, I don't know about you, but I tend to pull the handle every time I get in the car... :laugh: 

Yeah, but none of the mechanism inside the door is painted either.

4 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

Yeah, but none of the mechanism inside the door is painted either.

True.  It would have been more aesthetically pleasing to keep the painted end cap separate from the door handle as thy used to.  So you don't see the unpainted part when pulling handle.  It's just time/cost cutting again. :sad: 

It's nowhere near as annoying as that the wheel centre pieces do not auto level up 🙄

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

Me?  Or David? :tongue: 

Those are genuinely offered as an optional extra on the Mk8 Golf though! :laugh:

Have you driven the Mk8 Golf yet Tom ? 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Wino said:

Have you driven the Mk8 Golf yet Tom ? 

Best not to go there! :rolleyes: I setup a test drive with a relative (at great hassle to them) outside my own flat...  And my body still went 'NOPE' and decided to self destruct by the time they arrived in it.  So I have sat inside a Mk8, and eventually managed to drive a few yards in the carpark, which were the final straw for my insides...

Honestly, I couldn't tell much from that, but I did note that it was firmer over the car park gutters than my Mk6 (quite a good comparison based on previous cars) because of the damn 17s on them.  I'm now desperately looking for a Mk7 in a very specific spec to get 16s, comfort springs and IRS...  And it turns out they only made 180 in that spec, engine and manual.  Only realistic option I have is to buy a DSG one (400 odd made, 6 currently for sale) instead.  But I really don't like autos, and not sure my vertigo would ever accept one either...  I really didn't think it's be so hard to get a newer Golf in equivalent spec to mine!

(Sorry Mark!!)

Oh dear. Wish I hadn't asked :sad:You're not having much luck at all Tom.

I was looking at the MK8 as a replacement for the Focus but struggling to find one I like other than the "R- Line" which seems a big price hike for basically a better aesthetic look so currently struggling to warrant the extra expense they command.

Incidentally the WBAC offer has increased by £500 this week 🤔

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Excellent!  How about some of those puddle light projectors too? 

PUDDLE LIGHTS WHICH BULB | Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums

These are as tacky as a weekend in Blackpool but I want them! Thing is they’ll probably count as a modification to motability. How do they work? I’ve got puddle lights , pretty sure they’re LED. 

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, Alex.S said:

These are as tacky as a weekend in Blackpool but I want them! Thing is they’ll probably count as a modification to motability. How do they work? I’ve got puddle lights , pretty sure they’re LED. 

Lol, have a look on eBay, amazon, Wish etc...there are a few types.  Those particular ones need a bigger hole drilled into the mirror for a small projector lense so would be an unviable mod on lease unfortunately.  I've seen people fit them in under the door cards as well so they only work with the door open.

• Like 1

The day I start drilling holes ...I might as well rip up my lease contract!

• Haha 1

I can imagine the conversation with motability..”you’ve done WHAT Mr Smith ??” 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Wino said:

Oh dear. Wish I hadn't asked :sad:You're not having much luck at all Tom.

I was looking at the MK8 as a replacement for the Focus but struggling to find one I like other than the "R- Line" which seems a big price hike for basically a better aesthetic look so currently struggling to warrant the extra expense they command.

Incidentally the WBAC offer has increased by £500 this week 🤔

There's not much choice in Mk8s if buying used, only 3 trim levels and pretty much everything interesting is an optional extra.  The R-Line was the best all rounder last I looked though...and it was cheaper to lease than the Style when I was looking. 

Not much choice in engines either, the 1.5 TSI is poorly mapped (even my Mum complained how bad it was at slow speed!) and was averaging less than 40mpg which isn't great.  2.0 TDI 115 will come with twist beam.  So you're only left with with the 2.0 TDI 150...and you'll find most of those are DSG!  With the odd little stalk instead of a proper lever...

I really wanted to like the Mk8, and I do actually like the digi dash (much better than Ford's effort) and the touchscreen that every reviewer hates, and the voice control is amazing...  Ask it to turn up/down the temperature and it knows which seat you're sat in!!

However, first impressions are that most of it is a downgrade to the Mk6 or 7.  It's lost a lot of 'refinement' touches.  And it's lost the comfort edge as well.  It's basically a Focus now, but with a VW price tag...  The seating position is weird and very low and there's no rear visibility at all either...  There's also no climate screen option any more.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for that reply Tom it more or less puts into perspective that looks arnt everything. Like you said it's annoying that anything around or  over 150bhp is Auto or DSG nowadays. 

Back to the drawing board once again. Its quite funny really that our last 3 cars we changed that from the outset it was " Find something other than a Focus"  😆

• Haha 1

On 6/1/2021 at 2:24 PM, TomsFocus said:

Excellent!  How about some of those puddle light projectors too? 

PUDDLE LIGHTS WHICH BULB | Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums

I watched the above video and I'm thinking about getting some for my MK4 Focus ST. While they are not available for the MK4 at the moment due to a fitting issue, does anyone know if it's as simple as it I'd on that video? I've looked at my puddle lights and it looks as if they just clip out (is that actually common knowledge as it would be an easy item to steal). 

If I was to do it, would it invalidate any warranty on the car?

49 minutes ago, shawty1984 said:

I watched the above video and I'm thinking about getting some for my MK4 Focus ST. While they are not available for the MK4 at the moment due to a fitting issue, does anyone know if it's as simple as it I'd on that video? I've looked at my puddle lights and it looks as if they just clip out (is that actually common knowledge as it would be an easy item to steal). 

If I was to do it, would it invalidate any warranty on the car?

Looks like they do just pop out on the MK4 but I'm not sure who would steal them.  You could steal the mirror glass just as easily lol.

Warranty would only be void on the parts you touch...so if the mirror develops a fault they could refuse a repair.  But if the engine blew up they couldn't refuse that on the grounds of a mirror mod.

8 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Looks like they do just pop out on the MK4 but I'm not sure who would steal them.  You could steal the mirror glass just as easily lol.

Warranty would only be void on the parts you touch...so if the mirror develops a fault they could refuse a repair.  But if the engine blew up they couldn't refuse that on the grounds of a mirror mod.

And I'm guessing that if something did go wrong, you'd just pop the original back in and plead ignorance, not that I'd condone that of course.

• Like 1