Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Glasses for driving

Nathan_M

Right so age is happening (not as much as I would like) and I need specs to see out into the wide blue yonder, and for the life of me I can't work out if this needs to be declared to the DVLA, the site says if you can read the number plate at 20m with or without glasses obviously that satisfies the law but should they be informed otherwise? 

These things are new to me🤷

as long as the glasses are doing the job then i cant see why dvsa need informing. 

• Like 2

GOV.UK states "You must wear glasses or contact lenses every time you drive if you need them to meet the ‘standards of vision for driving’.

You must tell DVLA if you’ve got any problem with your eyesight that affects both of your eyes, or the remaining eye if you only have one eye.

This doesn’t include being short or long sighted or colour blind. You also don’t need to say if you’ve had surgery to correct short sightedness and can meet the eyesight standards."

So no, as Ian says, you don't need to notify DVLA if you wear glasses for normal eyesight correction purposes.

Your optometrist should in any case advise you If you have any problems which may affect your driving when doing your eye test.

• Like 2

I've worn glasses for years as blind as a bat without them, couldn't find the car yet alone drive without them, but ax my vision with the glasses is above the minimum standard, then nothing needs reporting.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, I did see that info on the DVLA site but it is sort of written in time new nonsense but you have cleared it up cheers!

Is it just for HGV drivers that require informing the DVLA then?

Screenshot_20210608-105652.png

• Thanks 1

I've got code 01 on my licence.

It is not something you have to notify the DVLA of if you start needing them having already got your licence.

However when applying for a licence, you are specifically asked and have to answer it if you need glasses/contacts for the legal minimum.

My code has been there since I got my licence as I needed glasses at the time of applying.

EDIT: Backed up by specsavers:

https://www.specsavers.co.uk/help-and-faqs/do-i-need-to-inform-the-dvla-if-i-need-glasses-for-driving

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

That makes sense now. 👍

Due to an underlying health issue I have to 'reapply' for my HGV every year and this involves a medical.

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club