Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Flippin’ Birds

Jeter

I’ve got a 2019 Ford Focus 1.0 Eco Boost Titanium. I keep it parked on the street outside my house.

Lately, a crow (big thing) has been digging its claws into the window rubbers on both the driver’s and passengers side and pecking the wing mirrors at the reflections of itself damaging the rubbers and leaving bird snot all over the mirrors.

I can live with the bird snot but it is seriously ticking me off with the damage.

So, last week I put a blue overshoe on each mirror. Got up and they had disappeared leaving damage and snot.

Next, I put blue overshoes on the mirrors with two rubber bands on each. Got up this morning, overshoes and rubber bands destroyed.

Now…I realise on one level this is a funny story but on another level I’m not happy with a £15k car sustaining damage by a bird. If I assume a human isn’t destroying the overshoes does anybody have any suggestions on how to deter the bird please?

I should add that it’s not just my car but other cars in the street too (I live at the top of a cul-de-sac.) In fact a neighbour across the road had the mirror glass knocked out of his driver’s side but then he has a garage to park up in and I don’t.

I don’t want to hurt the bird (assuming singular) but would like to solve this problem.

When you’ve finished laughing any suggestions would be appreciated.

TIA

id chain a cat to the roof or pack her in lol

you sure its a bird ?

Yes, it usually happens during the night but I’ve actually sat on my settee and seen it through the window. That’s how I know it’s a big thing. Obviously, got up and chased it but it really doesn’t seem to care.

A mate suggested wiring the car to the mains but I think the police might frown on that.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Jeter said:

Yes, it usually happens during the night but I’ve actually sat on my settee and seen it through the window. That’s how I know it’s a big thing. Obviously, got up and chased it but it really doesn’t seem to care.

A mate suggested wiring the car to the mains but I think the police might frown on that.

sorry i cant help i hope you get it sorted. very weird

• Thanks 1

our neighbours cars get attacked by the crows too. but only there cars and assumed either what they washed there car with or screen wash was what the birds were liking. mainly attacked the front and rear wipers   

3 minutes ago, iantt said:

our neighbours cars get attacked by the crows too. but only there cars and assumed either what they washed there car with or screen wash was what the birds were liking. mainly attacked the front and rear wipers   

Weird

i never did like that worm shampoo 😆

• Haha 2

A picture of an eagle/other bird of prey  blu-taked to the inside of each side window?

Just now, JamboChris said:

A picture of an eagle/other bird of prey  blu-taked to the inside of each side window?

bird of prey nailed to bonnet 

Get a super-soaker and knock it off next time you see it from the settee.  I would suggest a starting pistol or bird scarer but depends how rural you are, likely to have the ARU turn up in an urban area! 

Alternatively, some sort of animal scent?  Cat or fox urine maybe?

5 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Get a super-soaker and knock it off next time you see it from the settee.  I would suggest a starting pistol or bird scarer but depends how rural you are, likely to have the ARU turn up in an urban area! 

Alternatively, some sort of animal scent?  Cat or fox urine maybe?

I’m suburban rather than rural. Problem with the super-soaker is I’m 65 and disabled so the bird will likely be gone by the time I get there 😄

• Haha 4

Fair point!  How about giving it something else shiny to peck at instead?  A string of old CD's maybe?  Used to see them all over gardens and allotments a few years ago when they were free in the Sunday paper each week. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Fair point!  How about giving it something else shiny to peck at instead?  A string of old CD's maybe?  Used to see them all over gardens and allotments a few years ago when they were free in the Sunday paper each week. 

I’m in a battle of wits with a bird and I know who’s winning 😂

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jeter said:

I’m suburban rather than rural. Problem with the super-soaker is I’m 65 and disabled so the bird will likely be gone by the time I get there 😄

how about an air rifle ? i hopw you have good sight lol

1 minute ago, mrmetallica said:

how about an air rifle ? i hopw you have good sight lol

🙃 with my luck I’ll hit the window

• Haha 1

There a damn nuisance. I'm so fed up with keeping the car clean and parking up on the street at home and by the time I return its covered in bird poo. 

Numerous emails and complaints with pictures to the local council and nothing. The only place to safely park is a stretch of road for 5 cars all under the trees which haven't been pruned on years. The footpath itself is covered in the stuff too.

It's got to a point last week where the roof of the car was literally covered overnight and also down the drivers door and rear window.

It's now escalated to the Local MP who weve had dealings with before and got results.

It might not be our problem for much longer though as a bungalow that weve been interested in has come back on the market so it's all hands on deck atm to try and get I  there if possible.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Wino said:

There a damn nuisance. I'm so fed up with keeping the car clean and parking up on the street at home and by the time I return its covered in bird poo. 

Numerous emails and complaints with pictures to the local council and nothing. The only place to safely park is a stretch of road for 5 cars all under the trees which haven't been pruned on years. The footpath itself is covered in the stuff too.

It's got to a point last week where the roof of the car was literally covered overnight and also down the drivers door and rear window.

It's now escalated to the Local MP who weve had dealings with before and got results.

It might not be our problem for much longer though as a bungalow that weve been interested in has come back on the market so it's all hands on deck atm to try and get I  there if possible.

I wish I could move. I really hate not having a garage but living on a disability pension means I’m stuck for the duration 🤨

A double-barrelled 12 bore should fix the problem, but you might have to replace the mirrors.... and windows..... and some body panels 🤣.

Maybe just go with getting a cat.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I assume that folding the mirrors in does not make any difference.

You could try spraying  cloth socks with something that smells strong like Eucalyptus oil and putting them over the mirrors. You would need to be careful that whatever you use does not damage the paintwork, plastic or rubber.

• Thanks 1

why dont you take a dump in his nest see how he likes it  😀

• Haha 2

They are highly intelligent birds, maybe place a mirror somewhere near the car and hope the little ***** pays that more attention. Failing that, shotgun!!!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Tizer said:

I assume that folding the mirrors in does not make any difference.

You could try spraying  cloth socks with something that smells strong like Eucalyptus oil and putting them over the mirrors. You would need to be careful that whatever you use does not damage the paintwork, plastic or rubber.

The mirrors fold in automatically, I think that’s why it has such a tight grip on the rubbers - so it can bend its head round to peck its reflection in the mirror. If I can I’ll try for a picture.

Hello buddy,stopping the bird from perching is the key,if you can make something with a few spikes on it.

kkkjhgf.jpg

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, unofix said:

A double-barrelled 12 bore should fix the problem, but you might have to replace the mirrors.... and windows..... and some body panels 🤣.

Maybe just go with getting a cat.

Find a local yokel with an air rifle.