Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Key Not Detected - Car won't start

algecan

Hi,  I'm hoping someone can help me narrow down the problem I am having.

2009 Mondeo keyless entry and start.

The car locks and unlocks fine, but when I'm sat in the car it says key not detected.  I can turn the ignition on but the car won't start, it doesn't turn over.  It is quite difficult to get the ignition to turn off.  I keep having to press the button until it will eventually turn the ignition off.  

I have put the fob into the steering column which is where I believe it should go to try and get it started but this doesn't work either.

Any ideas anyone?

Car battery voltage is too low. Try disconnecting the battery and fully charge it (24 hours) reconnect and I expect all will be well again.

The car battery is about 2 months old.  the car is currently in morrisons car park, of all the places to go wrong, do you think jumping it from another car might help if it is the battery?

The age of the battery does not mean the battery is OK. First of all disconnect your battery and wait 10 minutes. Then reconnect your battery and connect jump leads across to another battery. (don't do it with the other car's engine running).

Then try again. Do you have more than one key for your car ? if so, try the other key.

Yes I suppose, however there were no other symptoms of a failing battery, all the electrics still work without issue for example.

I'll be going back to the car tonight when my wife is back, I'll try her spare key and then try jumping it.

If these fail, is there anything else I can try before getting it recovered home and when at home, what are my options?

Be aware some Morrisons carparks have a time limit... 

Have you got breakdown cover...? If yes, then this is a good time to use it.  If no, then  you really should consider getting some.. 

I've got until midnight to get the car out of the car park and I do have breakdown.  However, the dilemma is where to take it.  Take it home and not be able to repair it and then have the cost of towing it somewhere else or have it towed to the local garage who might charge me an arm and a leg to repair something I can fix at home.

I'm actually tempted to get a mate to help push it out of the car park as there are no parking restrictions outside of the car park and then take it from there.  Or just sell it...

Fingers crossed the spare key or jump works.

I used my wife's spare fob and it started first time.  

However, when I got it home I used my key and it still started, so it must surely be something in the car rather than the module.

The little Transponder chip in your keyfob is passive and so long as it's not broken physically they tend never to fail. I would think its just been a 'glitch' in the system that it wasn't reading your key correctly. Now that the car has been started with the other key it has re-set and will read your key as normal.

I have see the problem where a spare key has not been used for many years and then when it is used the car does not recognize it.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club