Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Mk2.5 Android Headunit Keeping Car Powered Up?

troy45

Am in the process of upgrading my old WIN CE based head unit for an Ownice Android unit like this for my mk2.5 Focus ST

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32818482860.html

Wiring it in seemed pretty straight forward apart from the previous quadlock harness being stubborn to remove. New unit came with harnesses and plugs etc so is basically wired into the quadlock connector via the supplied harnesses with a piggy-back CANBUS box connected in.

Initial start-up was good - reverse camera working, steering wheel controls etc but am having some power-up/power down issues.

Basically initial starting up the unit came on with ignition on but after turning the ignition off it stays on till you press power button for a few seconds. Then turning ignition back on you have to manually turn the unit on and off.

But I think that when the unit looks like it's off, it's actually asleep rather than actually shut down, because I then realised you can't lock the car with the keyfob or keyless door handle while the unit is in this state. Unlocking with the fob you could hear the locks operate but nothing for locking. Also realised after pairing my phone it was staying paired & muting sound even though I thought the unit was shut down.

Unplugging the head unit completely made no difference with the locking until I also unplugged the canbus box, then the car could be locked. Now you'll see it boot up each time the ignition is turned on.

Have had a good look into the settings, turned off sleep delay but that hasn't helped.

So for now have got it wired in without the canbus box connected, but obviously the steering wheel controls etc are now not working.

Anyone come across anything like this before? 

Sounds like a faulty canbus box to me. Never had any issues with mine.

On 6/4/2021 at 11:00 PM, Luke4efc said:

Sounds like a faulty canbus box to me. Never had any issues with mine.

That was my first thought, or possibly something ACC wire related but hadn't got as far as starting to check cables for voltages etc.

In the meantime I'd mailed the supplier through Aliexpress and they actually got back to me pretty quickly. There's an ACC connection in the quadlock harness that needed to be disconnected - I'd just connected the harness as it was supplied. They also gave me info on entering Factory Settings for picking the correct canbus box though I'd more or less worked this one out myself while digging into things.

Fixed the main issue now with the car not locking etc and it boots up each time you put the ignition on.

Spent some time on it this evening checking the ACC fix plus getting the wiring all squared away, hoping to finish off installing it tomorrow.

Thanks

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

I have this same issue on my headunit, slightly different from amazon. I have been reading a lot of forums but i cannot seem to realize what keeps the unit awake. So if the canbus unit is faulty, that would mean steering controls wont work? Furthermore,  I unplug fuse 112 which supplies the audio modules and plug it back in when the ignition is off. Radio turns off completely and now I can lock the car. However if I do not do this procedure, I cannot lock the car and the headunit is on too. It is a hassle bending down and unplugging and plugging the fuse back in every single time I drive. So my question is, did you swap the canbus module or what did u do? I was thinking of elmconfig or foscan but I doubt that is the issue, since i suppose it is already set to 10 minutes awake time. I will try to contact the seller on amazon to get more info. But the harness you mentioned is probably the same for me, it is a one plug harness with all the cables in it, so I guess something has to be removed for it to work? I need help with that, because it is quite complicated. 

Thanks in advance!

On my harness the ACC wire was on a plug and socket so it was easy to disconnect it. Not sure if that’s common across the different suppliers for Focus head units, worth looking at your loom to see if it’s got similar?

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/20/2022 at 5:48 PM, troy45 said:

On my harness the ACC wire was on a plug and socket so it was easy to disconnect it. Not sure if that’s common across the different suppliers for Focus head units, worth looking at your loom to see if it’s got similar?

I managed to get it all working by cutting the red acc wire. There was a plug connected to 2 wires a red one and an orange one. The orange one worked with my units red illumination so I couldn't just take the plug apart I needed it connected with the orange wire so I cut the red acc one and now it works the unit turns off and when I turn the headlights on the unit also illuminates with the car! 

• Like 1

Glad that worked - on my unit the lighting stays on all the time even when the headlights are off but it’s not a big issue for me so im living with it instead of diving into all the wiring