Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sync 3 keeps popping up with install in progress after update complete

Supersons

Hi,

I have updated the Sync 3 on my 2017 Kuga Titanium.  However it keeps coming up with the message install in progress please do not remove USB.  I have tried restarting the unit with USB in and left it running until it comes up with install complete please remove USB.  The message after restarting the car then comes up once more.  I have tried doing a master reset on the unit also.  Any suggestions on how to resolve?  I have checked the ford site tonight and according to the data they have my sync 3 is upto date

Argh this! It's driving me absolutley loopy on my 2017 S-Max too. I updated the Sync 3 software two revisions ago (must have been late last year) and at the time I had this exact issue too. I took to the dealer as I was still under warranty and they weren't able to help and suggested waiting until the next update. It felt a bit of a fob-off, but I accepted the idea that it may help. I've upgraded to the latest version a few weeks ago, and sure enough, the same issue.

It's not every time the I start the car, maybe one in three times, I'll get the ""Install in progress please do not remove the USB...." message. There's nothing in the USB port, putting the Sync update USB back in and re-running does nothing. It's really bugging me too!

Something must have got written out incorrectly as part of the update. And I bet it's as simple as some software switch or file somewhere on the Sync system - i.e. a dead simple fix if you could get access (and knew what to do!).

Sorry I don't have a fix, I can only echo that I have the same issue! If I ever find a solution, I'll reply back here!

Glad it is just not me having the issue.  I will let you know if I find the solution also

• 2 weeks later...

This is caused by the system not fully updating. Mine did it with the Edge I owned. To fix it, with the ignition off, I put my update USB into the port, started the car and went for a drive, after about 10 minutes it said it was complete. I don’t understand why it does it, but it fixed it for me. 

Thanks for that suggestion, and I’m glad you got yours sorted. However, annoyingly for me, I’ve done that about 50 times already and it didn’t seem to make any difference!

Try a master reset through the sync unit if that don't work do a full install using cyanlabs tools

This can fully format and reinstall everything. Just be aware this can take upto an hour and will probably be a higher version than ford offer. 

2 hours ago, P3t3 said:

Thanks for that suggestion, and I’m glad you got yours sorted. However, annoyingly for me, I’ve done that about 50 times already and it didn’t seem to make any difference!

Mine initially said complete so I removed my USB. It was the next day it first said about completing installation. I drove the car without the USB plugged in for 3 or 4 days, then got the USB and plugged it in having done a full lock cycle on the car (lock, wait 3 minutes, unlock) then plugged the USB stick in and started her up. It was less than 10 minutes before it said installation complete. 

I think the modern Ford electronics are full of bugs and we are the beta testers !  Hope you get it sorted. 

Comment moved to reply to the correct thread!

Edited by P3t3
Comment moved to reply to the correct thread!

4 minutes ago, Edge of Reason said:

Mine initially said complete so I removed my USB. It was the next day it first said about completing installation. I drove the car without the USB plugged in for 3 or 4 days, then got the USB and plugged it in having done a full lock cycle on the car (lock, wait 3 minutes, unlock) then plugged the USB stick in and started her up. It was less than 10 minutes before it said installation complete. 

I think the modern Ford electronics are full of bugs and we are the beta testers !  Hope you get it sorted. 

Maybe I’ll try this again and just leave it plugged in for a few days like you say. See what it can sort out. It’s also been a good few months since I gave up, so always worth another shot. I was surprised the Ford Dealer didn’t seem to add much value around this, or have the ability to re-flash it themselves. 

This is my first Ford for about 20 years, and whilst I know a lot of conventional car manufacturers aren’t software houses, I have been surprised (and now not surprised) just how terrible the in car entertainment systems are! There’s so many good systems out there already, why keep reinventing the wheel! Rant over, I know the reasons. 

46 minutes ago, DaSingh said:

Try a master reset through the sync unit if that don't work do a full install using cyanlabs tools

This can fully format and reinstall everything. Just be aware this can take upto an hour and will probably be a higher version than ford offer. 

Thanks for the reply on this. I also did a master reset a couple of times with no joy. 

Now, the Cyanlabs bit is interesting as I spotted that on other threads - it was new to me but I always love the idea of these types of tools! It seemed really promising, but I then chickened out when I saw the rather large version difference! I ran out of time to do any more reading at that point! 

Why is the version so different? Is it still Ford code or is it modified by Cyanlabs and they increment the version number? And if I flash it with the later version (I think I saw something about a “not a MY20” option/check box, or something like that) will it still take the Ford version if I want to roll back? Equally if this is all on their website then just tell me do bugger off there 🙂

As far as I know the updates are official Ford releases that are not available to public yet. They are not modified.

I did both my SMAX and Focus and have latest F10 maps. I don't actually see the point of waiting to download from Ford site but I am out of warranty. 

Also yes be careful if you have MY20+ I think it's slightly different process and no ability to roll back.

OK so I went with the CyanLabs option with a full wipe and reload. And we’re back online now without the annoying “updates in progress” screens when the system starts up, which is great! It was a bit annoying I couldn’t use CyanLabs to push the same version that I was already running, but I reviewed the release notes and chose the version that appeared the most stable. It took just under an hour and went really smoothly for me and seems to be fully functional. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club