Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A mechanic destroyed my turbo

Nicomt

Hi guys..  last week I took the car to the mechanic to fix a possible vacuum leak on my engine 1.0 ecoboost. For some reason he dropped a small clamp I had attached on the "T" piece cause I have a turbosmart valve, into the secondary hose which he took out, the same day I started to hear a very loud turbo spool and progressively along the week the car started to lose power and make really strange sounds until the car had no turbo, like it was on limp mode, what a surprise was I went to my house and looked inside the secondary hose and I found a clamp which the mechanic manipulated to "fix" the previous problem, and the turbine of the turbo was completely destroyed....

The thing is, there are tons of metal dust and very tiny particles on over all the induction system and probably inside the engine... should I be worried about any internal damage cause of that? Cause I'm really thinking about demanding him to get me a new turbo or even new engine... I'm devastated... 

I would like to see what you guys think, I will  attach some pictures.

20210605_153723.jpg

20210605_162355.jpg

20210605_155830.jpg

20210605_154715.jpg

20210605_155813.jpg

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Blinken heck! Get back to the bodger and try and sort it out amicably, if not then legal action but you got to prove the mechanic was responsible for this, good luck.

I have talked with him personally, he insisted that he wasn't his fault, if its my fault how the heck didnt i had this problem before? It just happened right after picking up my car from the mechanic, not before... Anyways, he told me to give him the turbo reference number and try to re build it or depends what he can do get a new turbo but i don't know exactly if he assumes the responsability or he want me to charge the half of the price... 

Be careful with this kind of things guys.. 

1 hour ago, Nicomt said:

I have talked with him personally, he insisted that he wasn't his fault, if its my fault how the heck didnt i had this problem before? It just happened right after picking up my car from the mechanic, not before... Anyways, he told me to give him the turbo reference number and try to re build it or depends what he can do get a new turbo but i don't know exactly if he assumes the responsability or he want me to charge the half of the price... 

Be careful with this kind of things guys.. 

You will need to get independent advice about this with a  written report from a professional ideally a Ford approved technician. Hopefully an expert maybe able to spot exactly when this happened.

If this gets legal you will need an independent report. 

If the mechanic who damaged it gets his hands on the car again he may have chance to cover up what he did.

I think if I where you I would contact Citizens Advice for recommendations.

Good luck

I would take it legal you don’t know what damage has been done to the engine if any. but saying that make him pay for a hybrid turbo 👀

• Like 1

As with many other cases similar to this, it will all come down to proof and denial. This could be things such as is there any proof that this car part was NOT in this condition before said garage / mechanic worked on it? Afterall, it was taken in to fix a fault around the suspect area. If they deny then how can you prove ? Did, didn't, did, didn't would break out.

By admission the part that was deemed to cause the damage was an aftermarket part (a non standard extra) that was fitted by yourself (a clamp) which you may or may not be competent to fit.....

I think it would take a well built case down the legal route to get a positive outcome (not to mention the cost), difficulty will be getting them to accept liability as the mechanic has already stated he wasn't at fault. Again proof he caused the fault would be difficult.

Maybe an agreement away from the legal route could be a better option in getting a satisfactory outcome although I feel it will also cost you.

Good luck, hopefully you will get the result you are hoping for.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club