Do Not Sell My Personal Information

S-Max wiper blade destroyer!

P3t3

Hi all, I hope you’re well. 

Has anyone else had their S-max destroy its own Wiper Blades? I’ve had my car for 9 months now, it’s 2017 plate, and just had the second time where I turn on the ignition and the Wiper Blades stutter for half a second and then overlap with each other and one of them gets ripped out the wiper arm whilst the plastic clips break. Luckily it’s just the plastic on the wiper blade that breaks, but it’s chuffing annoying to have to replace the blades again 

The first time it happened, I thought it was just bad luck or something I had done, but this second time was clearly a fault. 

So, has anyone else had anything like this happen?

Pete

I have 2017 SMAX and can say iv never had this issue. You got auto wipers? 

OK it may well just be my bad luck then. 

Yes, these are auto wipers. It happened both times when raining. I stopped the car and admittedly the wipers weren’t in their ‘parked’ position - I just parked and turned off the ignition and left the car quickly. I came back, turned on the ignition and that’s when the wipers did their overlap. It was really annoying watch it happen and then see a wiper blade snap off and get flung across the road, as the metal arm then scrapes across the screen!

• 2 months later...

Yes I have had exactly the same thing happen to me on 4 separate occasions since I purchased S Max new in 2017. The most recent time was on a bust motorway in the pouring rain- scary.

Ahh thanks! I'm glad to hear it's not just me....although also sorry to hear its happening to you. I can't work out what it is that causes it, but it's annoying, expensive and dangerous too.

If I ever do, then I'll update this thread!

In the old days there was one wiper motor and providing the wiper arms were done up tight in correction position on the shafts then it could not happen unless something broke. But I think some cars these days have a separate motor for each wiper and it relies on the cars computer to keep them in sync and not clash.  

• 1 year later...

I have 2016 s-max, same thing has happened to me 3 times now. Seems to happen if you don't park the wipers before you turn off the car. When you start the car again...crack!! Very annoying