Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mondeo 1.5 Diesel ?

Daniel Elliott

Hello,

Sorry if I have rehashed an old subject, but having had a quick search, I could not see anything related. 

I'm looking for a replacement for my 2010 Estate (140bhp) and find myself swayed towards the road tax saving of the 1.5 Diesel. Do any owners find these underpowered when loaded with a few chums or for general driving. My price range rather dictates a circa 100k car for a 2016+ model. I wonder if a smaller engine is any good after that magic 100k number if serviced as needed. 

Any feedback greatly appreciated so thanks in advance.

I have one. If heavily loaded you can feel it's not that powerful but it still pulls OK, and has enough torque to cope with a longish uphill section of the M1 near J23. If lightly loaded it's surprisingly good. 

From a power perspective the 2.0 is obviously far better, but I couldn't find anything with that engine even close to the same spec without spending a lot more. 

• Like 1

Thanks. That's quite encouraging to hear. I have just found a 2017 1.5 Titanium estate, so will visit the dealership with a bit more confidence. 

If I may pose another question, what's your M1 mpg like? I see a claimed 80ish, but suspect that's far from within the grasp of anyone who wants to get anywhere. My current 2010 model pootles around at about 52 and is okay for 60+ on a run. With the outlay of a newer car, I'd like to make some gains wherever possible. 

Thanks again and all the best!

5 minutes ago, Daniel Elliott said:

I see a claimed 80ish

is that not refering to the era of the music you're surposed to play in it ? 🤣

• Haha 1

Ha, that's a good one. I love my Mondeo for the mountain bike space and security (3 bikes) as I'm not a fan of racks. 

As for the wireless, It'll be AC/DC all the way. 

In these lockdown times, I'm currently averaging around 50 - 55 mpg. Which considering it's now all very short journeys in town traffic is fine. 

80 mpg seems unbelievable. On a lengthy cruise I can get mid 70s if I'm careful with the right foot. You'll probably see some slight gains over the Mk4 you currently have, but nothing significant. The Mk5 is a bit more bulk to haul around. 

It's also a different driving experience from the Mk4. You do lose some handling, but you gain some comfort. It's superb for cruising past the peasants. 

Handy tip: try and get the LED headlights if you can. The standard lights are quite dim but the adaptive LEDs are excellent. Adaptive LEDs will have round front fog lights and LED DRL strips in the headlight unit. 

• Like 1

Hi,

Mid 70's is not to be sniffed at. I just saw Diesel @ 1.35 at my local garage. For such bulk, I think 50+ around and about is more that acceptable  Thank you. 

I suppose my last question (for the moment) is, would you buy another 1.5 Mondeo if one came up and the need was there? I forgot that I did had a 2009 1.8 CDTI that was a five gear monster. Never again.  It went bang. I think the five long range shift really hampered it, along with the weight. However, that was an old engine, so I'd like to see what the 1.5 owners have to say. 

I greatly appreciate the time taken to respond. Looking forward to more topics.

Daniel

It's not for everyone - especially if you need to tow something - and a bit more power would be nice. If I had to lug around very heavy loads every single day I might consider the 2.0. However, it's not a buying decision I regret. I've had a varied car history including  diesel and petrol Mondeos (the Mk4 2.5T was a blast), but this is the most comfortable car I've driven, it copes fine with a boot full of stuff, and it has the added bonus of not costing a fortune at the pumps. 

That sounds good to me. I was pipped to the post with the Estate I was going to see, but will keep looking. As you found, the 1.5 Titanium is where the bank for buck is so I'll keep searching. 

Thank you for your responses. It's given me a lot more confidence, along with the bonus on zero road tax. 

All the best. 

• Like 1

As noted above, do yourself and massive favour and do NOT buy a MK5 Mondeo with halogen headlights.  They're dog💩, even fitting brighter bulbs doesn't help the usable light output, the factory (optional) LED units are superb by comparison.

Noted. I used some £20 bulbs for a claimed 150% (or thereabouts) better output on my MK4 and some brighter Lidl ones after that, which were only about £6. That made a good difference. They also had a reputable vendor name on them that I can't recall now. 

What gets me about LEDs is the price. The indicator went on my wifes Passat wing mirror. I thought it would be an easy £1.50 fix. No Sir! it was a damn £50 LED unit. I suppose I could have bought a pattern part for half, but I have been caught out too many times. Buy cheap, buy twice.  

I appreciate the heads-up from you both. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club