Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK4 Focus. Strange manual gearbox issue

mrp140

I've just bought a 2019 Focus 1.5 ecoboost 182 bhp estate with a 6 speed manual gearbox and 14000 miles on the clock.

The issue I have is with the gearbox. Its lovely and smooth and no issues until I've driven the car for approx 30 mins at which point the gearbox starts to' clunk' as I change gear. Especially in 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Still changes gear reasonably easily just not quite as smoothly.

If I park the car up and leave it to cool down the gear change goes back to normal again. 

Anybody had similar issues or any knowledge of what the problem may be ?

Thank you. New to this forum and Ford ownership.

Sounds like a clutch adjustment problem. I would take it to a main dealer and get it checked. 

• Thanks 1

I have noticed a very minor "clunk" on mine when releasing the clutch, especially at low speeds and changing up at low revs but that may be because there is not much background noise so I hear it more.  No problems selecting gears and no other noticeable issues.  Not sure if the petrol and diesel engines got the same gearbox though.  I will try to see if it is more obvious with the engine cold or hot and let you know.

• Thanks 1

• 11 months later...

I'm having similar problems, except it does not seem temperature-related.

Did you get the problem fixed in the end?

• 1 year later...
On 5/12/2022 at 9:53 PM, Amiga500 said:

I'm having similar problems, except it does not seem temperature-related.

Did you get the problem fixed in the end?

Having similar issues here, any update on what is happening?

• 1 month later...
On 6/9/2021 at 5:08 AM, mrp140 said:

I've just bought a 2019 Focus 1.5 ecoboost 182 bhp estate with a 6 speed manual gearbox and 14000 miles on the clock.

The issue I have is with the gearbox. Its lovely and smooth and no issues until I've driven the car for approx 30 mins at which point the gearbox starts to' clunk' as I change gear. Especially in 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Still changes gear reasonably easily just not quite as smoothly.

If I park the car up and leave it to cool down the gear change goes back to normal again. 

Anybody had similar issues or any knowledge of what the problem may be ?

Thank you. New to this forum and Ford ownership.

I am also experiencing what appears to be near identical symptoms in a 2020 manual ST (petrol). Anyone have any joy diagnosing/fixing? Would love to have a direction to potentially point the dealer in before they go off on a goose chase for something that may be considered "normal".

It feels to me like rev hang may be contributing; that builds as the car warms - when cold, revs drop rapidly and the feature that hold revs at the right level for the next upshift means the change is very smooth. When hot, it takes longer for the revs to drop to this point (revs hang when depressing the clutch and drop slower), and re-engaging even slightly prematurely will result in a clunk/jolt through the drivetrain, as if there is slack somewhere. It's as if the system is incapable of absorbing any mid-match in revs. It seems better when acceleration input is greater- it's definitely worse when upshifting on light throttle. The result is irritatingly slow shifts are needed to be smooth - I would say I have to double my normal shift speed.

I suspect the rev hang is expected, but in this case is exacerbating/highlighting a mechanical issue, but who knows. ***** annoying is what it is.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club